“Tastefully decorated rooms, close to EVERYTHING, good room rates”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #26 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Ft. Lauderdale
“Tastefully decorated rooms, close to EVERYTHING, good room rates”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

I just left the hotel today. There are so many hotel choices in SD, but I will definitely keep this one on my "preferred" list.

Check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I was located on the 3rd floor. Some rooms have a balcony. Mine did not, but I gotta tell ya, the view of the harbor more than made me smile - despite the fact that I didn't upgrade to a balcony room.

More on the room: really great colors. It had a flat screen and a refrigerator. The fridge was inside of a cabinet so I didn't hear the annoying hum all night (a plus). No safe in the room, but I used the safe deposit box at the front desk with no problem and it was free to use. The bed was fine. They offer lots of pillows which is a plus.

Food choices: San Diego offers so very many fantastic places to eat. But if you don't have a car, do not fret. Not only do they have a restaurant on site, but they have a deli and a market place that sells snacks. The fresh salads and sandwiches offer at the market place were fresh - they could hardly keep them on the shelf. The hotel is located within a medium size gated complex. Instead of driving one morning, I strolled to Starbucks. There was a nail salon and a lot of other places to eat inside of the complex as well. Within a few blocks you can get any other type of food you desire.

Breakfast: they have a buffet with lots of hot foods. The chef will cook pancakes, waffles or omelets. I saw oatmeal, salmon, fresh fruit, lots of cereal, bacon, eggs, muffins, all kinds of juices, tea, coffee, etc. (great...I'm hungry now). If you don't do buffets, just order what you want a la carte. Room service is also available.

Property size: You can tell they cater to groups and/or are used to being full or near capacity. There are large meetings rooms and the property is nicely spread out. The parking lot was always packed, but they have designed the property well. The only time I saw a really big crowd was at breakfast time, but I still didn't have to wait for a table (thankfully). Plenty of pool chairs, tons of outside seating. You can lounge for hours either in or out of the sun. I saw lots of people jogging, walking and biking on a safe path that runs right by the hotel.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. I was there on a mini-vacation and to see some friends, but I could definitely see going there on business or with a conference group. I even did my own laundry - with the free laundry soap they gave me. They have a free shuttle to the San Diego airport which was only a mile away. The planes were not terribly noisy, but there is a curfew on flights overnight to help minimize bothering people in the surrounding area.

PARKING: It was free!
Internet: It was free!
Remote printing: It was free!
Citrus water in the lobby: It was free!
Shuttle to and from the airport: Free, Free, Free!

You get the picture. This hotel offers a whole lot for the rate I paid - which is why I continue to be a Marriott Rewards member. I love a good value. Hotel was also on a nice block. Laning street had these great townhomes between the harbor and the next main road (Rosecrans Street). The area was pretty quiet at night. I didn't feel uncomfortable walking around by myself. I saw families, solo women, groups and they all seemed very comfortable. Unless I need a kitchen for a longer stay, I really look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Arrive close to the cited "check in" time to get the best choices. Ask for a room facing...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cptravelmaven
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Wow – I think I’ve found our next sale person. Our whole team works really hard to make sure each guest has a special experience. I’m glad we were able to do that for you.

I truly appreciate the comments and hope to see you soon.

Travel Safe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Rochester,NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Our company held a 3 day conference for his Mastermind Group and dinner event at this location in December 2012- we received the best event service possible!! As his EA, I plan these events and have never worked with people more helpful or thorough than this Sales and Catering Team (Chelsea and Heidi were the best!). All meeting, catering and A/V needs went off without a hitch and the service and food at the private dinner event that was held on their terrace were amazing!! Yes, the rumor is true... the best margaritas in SD are made right at Courtyard Liberty Station by Jim Crawford!! Our members were thrilled with their rooms, the property and all accommodations. My boss says that this property and this team are the gold-standard- and I have to agree. We will go back again for sure!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
I agree, Chelsea and Heidi are the best and we are fortunate to have them on our team. I’m not sure what Jim does with his margaritas but as long as he keeps doing it – I’m find with it.

We are all looking forward to hosting your next event.

Take Care
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

The service at this hotel was excellent; we met several different front-desk employees, and each one was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were standard Courtyard rooms: clean, spacious and well appointed for the cost. The hotel has a restaurant that serves a brunch, as well as a cafe which offers smaller selections for breakfast and lunch. We would grab a free coffee and then a pastry and sit outside near the pool area. Very tranquil, very pretty. The pool is small, but sufficient. A few other restaurants within walking distance as well as a Starbucks (although the hotel also serves Starbucks).

Hotel did have a faint smell of sewage near the elevator when we first arrived. We raised this with the front-desk and the smell seemed to have gone by the next day. The smell did not permeate into the rooms. So, all good there.

Our room was situated next to a large fan situated on the first-floor roof of the conference area extension. This was noisy (we had ear plugs) and did cause a vibration in the room that could be disconcerting to some. Ask for a room down one of the two wings rather than near the elevator.

Staff were good at offering up directions and recommendations for meals nearby. Liberty Station area has groceries, a few shops. Nice streets and waterfront area for walking.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view. Elevators are in an enclosed vestibule, so that is not a problem. However, t...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Perpetual-Motion1
I’m happy to hear the service was excellent but want to apologize for the smell and noise issue. I did want to thank you for mentioning the fan noise, I’ll have my engineers have a look to make sure it is operating correctly. I couldn’t agree more on the waterfront area – it is a great area for walking and relaxing.

PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Really enjoyed a recent stay at this Marriott. Decor in the room was really attractive. Very different to your typical hotel room. Peaceful setting, but close to everything. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyVacationer1973
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for recommending us to friends. I’m happy that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will visit again.

Till next time.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

This Courtyard is nicely located near the airport - it's also walking distance to some nice restaurants, cafe's etc. The service was true to Marriott form, excellent as usual. Front desk service went out of there way to handle needs. Will stay here again on my San Diego travel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I agree, Liberty Station does have some great little restaurants. Appreciate the shout out for our front desk staff. They work hard to make each stay special and will be happy to read these comments.

See you again.
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice (in 2011 and 2013) and loved it both times. The room are VERY clean and housekeeping does a great job freshening up your room every day. And the location can't be beat! Close to the airport and it's easy to go anywhere in the San Diego area from here. My only complaint would be the cost but it's worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank labs33
So does that mean we have to wait until 2015 to see you again, I hope not. Thank you for recognizing our housekeeping department. They do an amazing job keeping our hotel looking new.

We may be a little more costly than some of our surrounding hotels but like you said – we are worth it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Although I stayed only a night I will definitely return.
The room was nice and had a scent of "newness."
The front staff, esp Elizabeth, were extremely nice and helpful and accommodated my request to change from two queens to one king.
The shuttle driver was prompt and pleasant esp at 5am!
The location is ideal esp for biz travelers like myself. The trip to San Diego airport is about 15 min MAX.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Chef D
We share these posts with our staff and they will be excited to know you noticed the effort they put in each day. I’m glad Elizabeth was able to assist in changing your room type. We try to honor all these requests but sometimes it is just not possible.

Thanks for staying and hope to see you soon.