“Great time with the kids.”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #26 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Gloucester, Virginia
“Great time with the kids.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just stayed at the hotel this past weekend. I was very happy with the location, and the availability of the restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. Even though we are right by the airport, noise was not a factor.
The front desk was very nice and helpful. We paid for the buffet breakfast, which was good, but the female waitresses were not helpful at all.
There is a wonderful walking trail behind the hotel where we found two playgrounds for the kids to enjoy. We were awoken our last morning when someone pulled the fire alarm. Although inconvenient, the hotel was more than happy to help in any way they could. They refunded our breakfast and tried to make each guest happy.
With a family of four, rooms can often feel small. The room we were in was very spacious and I was very happy with the room size. The room was clean, and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Rick B, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thanks!

SO glad you had a good time with the family! I loved all your comments...but the one about the waitresses. I shared your comments with them and even though they are usually wonderful, obviously they failed with you, so for that I apologize.

Yes, we had another guest accidently pull the fire alarm...what a mess! VERY glad to hear that you saw how we responded and took care of all our guests. Thanks for saying that

Look forward to you returning to us soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Az
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for the first time on the 4th of July (and my birthday) weekend. This is a very nice property in a convenient location. Several Liberty Station restaurants are within walking distance, and Shelter Island and Seaport Village/Downtown are just a short, easy drive away. Rooms were large, very clean, and beds very comfortable. The common areas of the hotel were also very clean, nicely decorated, and comfortable. The outdoor areas around the pool, fireplace, and patio were very nice, and the adjacent park was perfect for watching 4th of July fireworks! The hotel hosted a barbecue out on the patio on the afternoon of the 4th, which was good and convenient for relaxing in the park. You can also rent paddle boards and kayaks (which many were doing while we were there) at the park as well.

The staff at the hotel--front desk, restaurant and bar, housekeeping--all were very friendly, helpful, and accommodated all of our requests, including refrigerating a birthday cake we had delivered to the hotel until we were ready for it. In addition to the busy 4th of July weekend, the hotel was also hosting four weddings that weekend. The service and friendliness of the staff, however, was consistently great. And yes, Jim at the bar was wonderful. I didn't have his famous margarita, but can say he makes a delicious Cosmopolitan!

All in all, a great experience, and we will be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the nice words, and the business. It certainly is lively around here on the 4th! Glad you had fun.

Thanks for recognizing JIm...for his Cosmos this time! Very cool!

All the best!
Brea, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a GREAT location for us ONLY because the park was so close, and there was a trail along the water where our boys could ride their bikes. As far as a place for young couples like myself and my husband, this is not a "getaway" hotel for us WITHOUT kids. The people that we seen were mostly older. Pool was pretty small, but we did not even have time to go in. The rooms are a decent size, but felt dirty on the floors, and found a dead bed bug in a sheet. We took our two little boys so we had two queen beds. Our first room we checked into was filled with mosquitoes, so I quickly called the front desk and placed a complaint. We then were changed to another room. Initially, I spoke with a female receptionist and she stated there were no more rooms on the high floor (like I requested) and we would have to be moved to a lower floor. Once I got downstairs to switch the keys, I spoke to a young man and he was SO HELPFUL! He ended up giving us a room on the floor I INITIALLY asked for (apparently a room "opened up" for us on that level), then he stated he gave us the best room in the building... walked into the room, it was about the same size as the first room but the VIEW was WAY BETTER and we had the CORNER ROOM!! After our first night, I requested to extend another night, and it cost a lot! $204 a night before taxes! The ONLY good thing about it for was that guy made an effort to fix things, UNLIKE THE FEMALES AT THE FRONT. And the park and trail were very nice every night to walk and ride bikes!! I would only stay there again if we take the kids and if the price is cheaper.. NOT WORTH THE $204.

Room Tip: IF YOU REALLY WANT TO STAY HERE... book a corner room if you are willing to pay for the price. And b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank LuckyMommy143
Thanks for the review and for staying with us.

I'm sorry that you encountered some problems with insects in your first room, and that you felt our female front desk clerks weren't very helpful. BUT, I'm glad to read that you loved the new room and the stay.

Thanks again.
San Antonio
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hotel is pretty typical of a lower to mid range hotel. I have to down grade for couple of reasons - 1. Pictures of the balconies only true of a few rooms. The balcony room I was assigned had two chairs on it facing each other. I paid extra because I love to sit out and drink a glass of wine at the end of the day with a nice view. The chairs were wedged in facing each other with no room to move about 4 feet apart. Its hard to explain, but there would be no reason to try to wedge yourself in and then twist your head to look out. I explained to front desk what I saw on the web page and was given a spill about different balcony rooms. Balconies you see at back of hotel appear to be larger with ample space to turn chairs etc... They did very very reluctantly agree to upgrade to a room with a larger balcony. No. 2 I arrived at the hotel and checked in - staff was very polite. Normally, they say, Welcome Ms. ,,,, you are here for 2 nights etc... No one said this, but I didn't think anything of it. The next day, we hiked Point Loma and returned about 4:40pm.. Our room wasn't cleaned so I called downstairs to see if we could have towels and let them know. I was informed we were due for check out. I told them I had booked for 2 nights. Long story short - Marriott made an error making the reservation and I didnt' double check my email prior to our stay. I just wrote down the confirmation number. I was told I had to leave as they had no other rooms and someone was waiting. I was so embarrassed. I called Marriott hotels and spoke to a very rude person who said it was my fault (and perhaps it was as I neglected to confirm again), but thier attitude was not necessary. I had a reservation at the Marriott Marqui for the next night and ask them if there was immediately availability. I was told yes, but that the room would be an additional $50+. I ask if they could honor the amount I had reserved the next room's night and he said we don't do that as this was not our fault. We had dinner plans and were already running late so I said ok. When I got to the Marriott Marqui, they were wonderful - they apologized, gave me the same rate for both nights and upgraded my room. I normally stay at Hiltons. This is the first time I've stayed at a Marriott in 10 years. If not for the Marrqui hospitality, I'd never stay in another again.

Room Tip: Higher floor and check balcony before you pay for it. Only some are worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SanAntonAnn
Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time with us. We do have different sized balconies, and of course we are going to show off our larger balconies when we display pictures, but our intention is not to deceive anyone. I think most people will show off their best assets.

Very sorry about the stress of the reservation mishap. We usually can accommodate mistakes like this, but we did not have any rooms left, and it wouldn't be fair to have to say no to someone expecting to check in because we gave away the room.

Anyway, very glad that the Marquis Marriott took care of you...I used to work there many years ago, it's a nice hotel as well.

Thanks, and all the best
Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Central to everything, adjacent to a great park, jogging paths, paddleboard and kayak rental. A great place to stay in San Diego. Liberty Station has tons of restaurants within in easy walking distance. Hotel was great and everything we needed for a comfortable 4 day stay. I even got a discount at some of the local attractions with my room card. Don't miss Jim the bartender and his hands-down, best-ever margarita. The lobby bar is quite a friendly spot and great for nightcap.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
So happy to hear that you got out to visit our neighbors in Liberty Station. It is a great area with lots of activities. And yes - Jim's margarita's are a perfect way to end the day. I hope you get the opportunity to come back to visit soon.
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

this hotel had it all, comfortable relaxing rooms, full service bars and restaurants, coffee stand, and beautiful views. If you were in San Diego and looking for a great place to stay that is not right downtown and that's extremely expensive this is the hotel for you. Even though it is close to the airport we didn't hear any noise while we were in our room and we were on the top floor. The proximity to downtown it makes it very easy to get to and from. Highly recommend this hotel is it is clean courteous and has all the amenities you could

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
So glad you enjoyed your recent visit and thank you for recommending our hotel. Also appreciate you mentioning the lack of noise from the airport.

Travel safe and hope to see you again.
Banyoles, Spain
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Really helpful staff, nice hotel with large well decorated rooms to a high standard, great facilities and free w-fi with a speed that does allow you to download data from the web and send an email!!

Would have no hesitation in staying here again if in San Diego.

Room Tip: This is an off Airport hotel, but you would not realise this, little to no noise from the airport in...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
So glad to hear that our staff took care of you. We recently upgraded our wi-fi service so I was very excited to read that is meeting the needs of our guests. Please do come back and visit soon.