“Nice alternative to downtown” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #21 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Stafford, Virginia
“Nice alternative to downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This Courtyard is about 5 miles from downtown San Diego, and for some this may be a deciding factor. This is in the middle of the old Marine Corp Depot that has been "revitalized" as part of the modernization. Very nice location with jogging trails, parks and walking distance to a few restaurants.

The other "important stuff" about the hotel... very attentive staff and extremely responsive to guests needs. Very large restaurant area with a bar; much larger the other Courtyards which I have stayed. There is also a deli which is open 0530 - 1300 that serves breakfast sandwiches, pastries, Starbuck's coffee ( a bit weak for my taste), and a number of other snacks. For the vegetarians... I recommend trying the portobello mushroom... marinated with peppers and mozzarella, really good.

The king room was your normal Courtyard with the same furnishings, extremely clean. I had to do a lot of work at the desk and notice the AC blows directly down on the desk area; adjusting the vent flags were of no use and had to hang a towel to deflect the air. The bed, bath, Kureg, small fridge, and other amenities were nice for the long 7 night stay. The hotel does provide Direct TV in HD, however, over half of the stations were never available - local, yes, but the sports networks and others, no. The fitness center is pretty decent with cardio and weights. Bring your own entertainment/music as the monitors on the cardio - at least the 4 times I used them, did not work.

Overall a nice stay, but I do wish that for longer staying guests, a free breakfast was included with the price of the room. Due to two major events in San Diego, no government per diem rates were available for ANY hotel within 6 miles of downtown. However, one distinct advantage for this Courtyard, free parking. For those who have stayed in downtown San Diego, this can be very costly - $25 - $32 per day! For my longer trips, I will need to consider Marriott's competition next door where breakfast and dinner is included with your stay.

One last word... the hotel is in close proximity to SAN international airport take off runway and planes start departing at 0630 EVERY morning. I didn't have to set my alarm clock.

Room Tip: Ask for the "city view" if you are willing to pay the extra or a complementary upgrade.
Green Features: The hotel has a green policy and does take recycling seriously.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rick B, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thanks so much Coastie!

It sounds like you know your hotels! Our Courtyard has much more to offer than most Courtyards, so I'm so glad you noticed! And yes, guests forget about the parking fees at most hotels...WE ARE FREE!

I'm glad you enjoyed the meal...one of our secrets here is that we have terrific food, better than most full service hotels in my opinion. We have one of the best bartenders, Jim and Jesse, and our location is hard to beat.

Thanks for the note on the fitness room...I checked it our last week, and yes, there were 2 machines that needed some help, so thanks for letting us know.

Sorry that the Courtyard Brand does not include breakfast in the rate...we receive a lot of feedback on this (which we forward to Marriott International), but that's how this Brand keeps its rates lower than most. As far as trying out the hotel next door, yes, it's designed for long term guests and has breakfast and dinner (mon-Thurs) included in the rate, but the rates are typically higher there (we own that hotel as well!)

Thanks again for your great comments and for the business!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Sharon, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Our family stayed overnight at this hotel after a long flight and it turned out to be a perfect spot for us given its proximity to the airport and walking trails, comfortable beds, super clean room, and friendly staff.

The Good:
+ The room was super clean and comfortable. Must have been recently upgraded. Good quality linens and comfortable beds.
+ Two minute drive from airport but not overwhelmed with airplanes screeching overhead
+ Proximity to many walking paths along the water -- right out the back door -- and to plenty of places to eat. We had a nice stroll along the water down to Starbucks.
+ Very friendly staff
+ Lots of comfortable outdoor seating by pool and along the water.
+ Short drive to downtown

The not-so-good:
- This is a serious nit-pick but we had a little trouble finding a parking space. Maybe because it was July 4th and you could see fireworks from property (?)

Overall, this was all we could have asked for in terms of a post-flight stopover on the way to a vacation rental elsewhere in San Diego County.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms facing the pool and water seemed to have balconies.
      Rooms
Thanks!

Your review was wonderful and helps paint the picture of where we are and what we feel like. Liberty Station is still a very unknown area, but all it takes is a visit and you will be hooked!

Sorry about the parking issue. Fortunately we very rarely have any issues, but yes, on the 4th we had non-guests park in our lot that caused some issues. Next year we will have traffic monitors in place to help this issue....did I mention that our parking is FREE! Unlike most San Diego hotels, we can save you $30+ for each car you bring.

Thanks for the review and we wish you well!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for just one night on New Years Eve. The property was nice & clean, room was modern, well decorated & welcoming.

Was very close to some nice restaurants, has a trail along waters edge & large gardens. We did not try the hotel's restaurant/bar but it looked crowded & inviting.

All in all a nice place to stay in San Diego, one of the better chain hotels

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate the business and hope you have a GREAT 2014!
Gloucester, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I just stayed at the hotel this past weekend. I was very happy with the location, and the availability of the restaurants within walking distance from the hotel. Even though we are right by the airport, noise was not a factor.
The front desk was very nice and helpful. We paid for the buffet breakfast, which was good, but the female waitresses were not helpful at all.
There is a wonderful walking trail behind the hotel where we found two playgrounds for the kids to enjoy. We were awoken our last morning when someone pulled the fire alarm. Although inconvenient, the hotel was more than happy to help in any way they could. They refunded our breakfast and tried to make each guest happy.
With a family of four, rooms can often feel small. The room we were in was very spacious and I was very happy with the room size. The room was clean, and quiet. I would definitely stay here again.

Location
      Sleep Quality
Thanks!

SO glad you had a good time with the family! I loved all your comments...but the one about the waitresses. I shared your comments with them and even though they are usually wonderful, obviously they failed with you, so for that I apologize.

Yes, we had another guest accidently pull the fire alarm...what a mess! VERY glad to hear that you saw how we responded and took care of all our guests. Thanks for saying that

Look forward to you returning to us soon!
Az
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for the first time on the 4th of July (and my birthday) weekend. This is a very nice property in a convenient location. Several Liberty Station restaurants are within walking distance, and Shelter Island and Seaport Village/Downtown are just a short, easy drive away. Rooms were large, very clean, and beds very comfortable. The common areas of the hotel were also very clean, nicely decorated, and comfortable. The outdoor areas around the pool, fireplace, and patio were very nice, and the adjacent park was perfect for watching 4th of July fireworks! The hotel hosted a barbecue out on the patio on the afternoon of the 4th, which was good and convenient for relaxing in the park. You can also rent paddle boards and kayaks (which many were doing while we were there) at the park as well.

The staff at the hotel--front desk, restaurant and bar, housekeeping--all were very friendly, helpful, and accommodated all of our requests, including refrigerating a birthday cake we had delivered to the hotel until we were ready for it. In addition to the busy 4th of July weekend, the hotel was also hosting four weddings that weekend. The service and friendliness of the staff, however, was consistently great. And yes, Jim at the bar was wonderful. I didn't have his famous margarita, but can say he makes a delicious Cosmopolitan!

All in all, a great experience, and we will be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the nice words, and the business. It certainly is lively around here on the 4th! Glad you had fun.

Thanks for recognizing JIm...for his Cosmos this time! Very cool!

All the best!
Brea, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was a GREAT location for us ONLY because the park was so close, and there was a trail along the water where our boys could ride their bikes. As far as a place for young couples like myself and my husband, this is not a "getaway" hotel for us WITHOUT kids. The people that we seen were mostly older. Pool was pretty small, but we did not even have time to go in. The rooms are a decent size, but felt dirty on the floors, and found a dead bed bug in a sheet. We took our two little boys so we had two queen beds. Our first room we checked into was filled with mosquitoes, so I quickly called the front desk and placed a complaint. We then were changed to another room. Initially, I spoke with a female receptionist and she stated there were no more rooms on the high floor (like I requested) and we would have to be moved to a lower floor. Once I got downstairs to switch the keys, I spoke to a young man and he was SO HELPFUL! He ended up giving us a room on the floor I INITIALLY asked for (apparently a room "opened up" for us on that level), then he stated he gave us the best room in the building... walked into the room, it was about the same size as the first room but the VIEW was WAY BETTER and we had the CORNER ROOM!! After our first night, I requested to extend another night, and it cost a lot! $204 a night before taxes! The ONLY good thing about it for was that guy made an effort to fix things, UNLIKE THE FEMALES AT THE FRONT. And the park and trail were very nice every night to walk and ride bikes!! I would only stay there again if we take the kids and if the price is cheaper.. NOT WORTH THE $204.

Room Tip: IF YOU REALLY WANT TO STAY HERE... book a corner room if you are willing to pay for the price. And b...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LuckyMommy143
Thanks for the review and for staying with us.

I'm sorry that you encountered some problems with insects in your first room, and that you felt our female front desk clerks weren't very helpful. BUT, I'm glad to read that you loved the new room and the stay.

Thanks again.
San Antonio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Hotel is pretty typical of a lower to mid range hotel. I have to down grade for couple of reasons - 1. Pictures of the balconies only true of a few rooms. The balcony room I was assigned had two chairs on it facing each other. I paid extra because I love to sit out and drink a glass of wine at the end of the day with a nice view. The chairs were wedged in facing each other with no room to move about 4 feet apart. Its hard to explain, but there would be no reason to try to wedge yourself in and then twist your head to look out. I explained to front desk what I saw on the web page and was given a spill about different balcony rooms. Balconies you see at back of hotel appear to be larger with ample space to turn chairs etc... They did very very reluctantly agree to upgrade to a room with a larger balcony. No. 2 I arrived at the hotel and checked in - staff was very polite. Normally, they say, Welcome Ms. ,,,, you are here for 2 nights etc... No one said this, but I didn't think anything of it. The next day, we hiked Point Loma and returned about 4:40pm.. Our room wasn't cleaned so I called downstairs to see if we could have towels and let them know. I was informed we were due for check out. I told them I had booked for 2 nights. Long story short - Marriott made an error making the reservation and I didnt' double check my email prior to our stay. I just wrote down the confirmation number. I was told I had to leave as they had no other rooms and someone was waiting. I was so embarrassed. I called Marriott hotels and spoke to a very rude person who said it was my fault (and perhaps it was as I neglected to confirm again), but thier attitude was not necessary. I had a reservation at the Marriott Marqui for the next night and ask them if there was immediately availability. I was told yes, but that the room would be an additional $50+. I ask if they could honor the amount I had reserved the next room's night and he said we don't do that as this was not our fault. We had dinner plans and were already running late so I said ok. When I got to the Marriott Marqui, they were wonderful - they apologized, gave me the same rate for both nights and upgraded my room. I normally stay at Hiltons. This is the first time I've stayed at a Marriott in 10 years. If not for the Marrqui hospitality, I'd never stay in another again.

Room Tip: Higher floor and check balcony before you pay for it. Only some are worth the money.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SanAntonAnn
Thanks for your review. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time with us. We do have different sized balconies, and of course we are going to show off our larger balconies when we display pictures, but our intention is not to deceive anyone. I think most people will show off their best assets.

Very sorry about the stress of the reservation mishap. We usually can accommodate mistakes like this, but we did not have any rooms left, and it wouldn't be fair to have to say no to someone expecting to check in because we gave away the room.

Anyway, very glad that the Marquis Marriott took care of you...I used to work there many years ago, it's a nice hotel as well.

Thanks, and all the best