“They Paved Paradise with an RV Park”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Mission Bay RV Resort
Ranked #186 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This park is very overrated. It is one large paving job with white stripe lines defining an RV space. Spaces are ok for a 40 ft motorhome with the towed vehicle parked sideways across the front. The sites are back in only, so if you pay the high price for a Bay view and you do not have a back window on your RV, you are resigned to a sliver of view from the corridor between your RV and one in the next site over. Certainly not worth the premium charge for such a site

The paving job is full of dips and valleys and if it rains you may be dismayed to find the step out of your RV is into a huge puddle.

The park is convenient to the San Diego Zoo, Pacific Beach and many other famous sites in San Diego. It does have a beach access but it is across the street from the actual RV park. It is implied in some photos that the bay view premium sites have a beach access. This is not the case it is a double chain link fence with a four foot wide corridor and a bunch of big rocks that form a sea wall.

The hook ups are good and the electric power is reliable. Sewer connections are such that you really need a hose cradle or you have to handle black water up hill...yuk!

The rules read like an attorney wrote them and the front office is inflexible. Check-in is at 2pm and if you arrive early...expect to sit until 2pm even if your assigned site is available. You can haggle with them and they might relent but they will still make you wait some time. Best to time your visit to arrive after 2pm.

Room Tip: They have a snack bar, not a restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Phil S
There are newer reviews for Mission Bay RV Resort

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Staff not friendly at check in., They are always busy talking to each other and not friendly to the customers, My bike was stolen right by my RV door at night, I called the office but they did not care and told me to go tell the guard, I think theft must be common and no one was concerned or stopped by my site and talked to me about it, I asked for the SD police number and they did not even know.

4  Thank kknmesa
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Mission Bay RV Resort is what it is. And that's not necessarily bad. Yes, it's a giant parking lot on the bay. If you are looking for a place to park your RV that is not open to the general public, safe enough, and has excellent access to Sea World, Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, etc., then this will be ideal. If you're looking for a rustic location or an out-of-doors experience, you're in the wrong place. Let's be frank about the benefits: Pavement means easy in-and-out with your RV or car, less dirt tracked into the RV than the average campground, and an opportunity for the kids to ride their bikes/scooters/skate boards around. There is also a beach just outside the entrance (less than 5 min walk from your spot) to grab a short visit to the ocean without waves (perfect for the little ones). I can't speak for the bathrooms or laundry, as we don't need them, but I can say that on my last 3 visits the hook-ups are consistently good (even if the wifi is consistently inadequate - BYOInternet connection). Never had any problems with the office or management, but do not expect them to be in the office all day - morning is most likely. Good luck!

1  Thank wandermomma
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Looks great on the map, but don't be tempted. Unlike most companies in the hospitality business, this place works very hard to drive people away. Too many rules. Checkin people are rude and unhelpful. Snack bar people are impolite and not too smart. There in no customer service to speak of. Your feel like the only reason you are there is to pay their salaries. Prices are too high, everyone is jammed together like sardines in the summer. Wifi works less than 50 percent of the time. Baths and showers are old and dirty, rusting pipes. Not cleaned very often. Feces on the floor. Parks is old, looks like the 40s or 50s. No pool, no amenities. Seriously, stay away. Go somewhere else. Or just stay home.

Room Tip: Stay away. Go somewhere else, or just stay home.
6  Thank Chuck N
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked 2 nights here because campland was full, we planned 8 days for our trip 2 at mission bay rv and 6 at campland.

We arrived at about 8:10pm and checked in with security since the office had already closed. Security was nice and effecient. The problem began when we got to our spot. First off, people don't park within their spot, they hang out in the road making it hard for others to pull your trailer or rv down to your spot.

So we get to our spit and we pull in and we can't access our hookups because of where they are located. I told them what our trailer was when we booked but they put us in the one spot with a pole right at the end so we could back in enough. We were backed up to a grassy area and a lot of trailers were hanging over into the grass but we couldn't do that because of the pole. Also electric and water hookups are in the middle of the camp spots next to you. So plan on bringing extensions for all your hookups.

So we borrowed a hose from our neighbor (the other guests were nice enough) to get some water but that was it. We slept with all of our windows open because of the heat. There was no noise restrictions enforced and a lot of people were very loud playing music and yelling back and forth which kept me up for quite a while. It was very quiet in the morning with all the partiers sleeping in though.

When I went to check in at the office the next morning I mentioned that we couldn't hook up to anything because of where the hookups were located. The guy said he wanted to check it out and when he got to our spot told me that our trailer was longer than what I told them. I said no, look right there on the trailer that is what size it is and that's what all of our paperwork says the length is. He said I could go buy extenders but they don't have any on site. I told him I wasn't going to spend extra money for one night and I said so I'm basically sol then? And he said yes. I called over to campland to see if there were any cancellations and luckily there was a spot so we packed up and left. They did give me a refund without a fuss because apparently there were a lot of people waiting at the park next door to get in.

Overall, I would never go back nor would I ever recommend this place to anyone that I like. I would risk the $50 fine for camping in mission beach parks parking lot before going back.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jenij1221
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We have stayed at the "resort" for the past 3 years and will be there again in July. It is a giant parking lot that is true! The spots are nice and level with picnic benches and trees. We have found it really good for our son he meets some new and old friends from past years. He can ride his bike or skate board and we don't worry about him. We have a "special needs" daughter and she loves it too! We take our two small dogs with us and there is a nice path to walk a good distance by the bay. There is paddle board, sail boat and jet ski rental just outside the gate. There is a smaller beach where big and small kids can play in the bay. There is a huge public park just outside the park where there is always something going on. The "real" beach is close to bike or drive. Its true you don't see a lot of staff but I like that. If you need someone you can get help. Weekends can be a little noisy but not unreasonable, just people having fun! You could find something bad if you look hard enough! The kids love "movie night" on the grass! Its a lovely place!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This was a good place to stay ....staff was really nice and the place was really clean...

• Stayed: June 2012