“Excellent Stay in San Diego”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Crone's Cobblestone Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Stay in San Diego”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had a wonderful time at Ms. Crone's Cobblestone Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Ms. Crone is an ideal hostess. Our every wish was cheerfully granted. Ms. Crone went out of her way to procure a breakfast suited to my dietary needs. The house and grounds are gorgeous. We were there in August, and there were plentiful figs hanging on the gorgeous fig tree. I loved the Ponder Post out by the curb. I will plan to stay here every time I visit San Diego. Thank you, Ms. Crone!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank msend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bambolai, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed here in November, 2012 when I was in San Diego visiting family. My Mother, brother and I had the house to ourselve. Joan was very friendly and demonstrates that she's there to help in what's needed to help guests relax as much as possible. Everything was clean and the house is beautiful! There are two very nice bedrooms with big beds, which my Mom and brother got (they're older than me, after all) and a third room, the library, which Joan will only let someone stay in if they know beforehand the sleeper-sofa isn't the most comfortable (it isn't the best, but I've slept in worse too). She said she'd like to change that, and this just goes to show that she strives for quality and likes people to feel comfortable above all.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My husband and I just spent three nights at Joan's enchanting, arts and crafts style home in Mission Hills and thoroughly enjoyed every minute! She is a very gracious hostess who serves a lovely, color coordinated breakfast that is truly a feast for the eyes as well as the pallet. Joan is a talented, creative and personable lady, and the fascinating decor of her warm, comforable cottage reflects that. She has a large book collection on a wide range of subjects and is well versed in many areas, so we had interesting and highly varied conversations with her throughout our stay. For me, in particular, meeting her was the gift of connecting with a kindred spirit and being there was like coming home!
The cottage is immaculate and very conveniently located in a quiet, charming, historic area of Mission Hills with easy access in every direction. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 20 November 2012

First time staying at a B&B and it was great! This B&B is like a retreat in the city. The craftsman style house is located in a lovely and quiet historic neighborhood of Mission Hills just minutes away from a cute coffee shop and restaurants. The house takes you back to the early 1900, the furniture all over the house is to die for and the woman that owns it is as sweet as can be. Ask her to tell you a story or two, particularly the story about the wallpaper in the kitchen and her cups and dishes.

I highly recommend this for people that are willing to be in the city yet have a good nite sleep.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Lucia F
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Let's start with a long day traveling and the perfect person to greet you at the end of it, as Joan, the owner is just that. She is delightful, interesting, full of charm and dedicated to making your stay flawless. Fresh fruit, great coffee (I am a coffee snob), French bakery items, you name it, the day begins with culinary delights.
The bed was perfect, my room a treasure of antiques and beauty. There is a library, a porch, a yard full of lush landscaping. This Craftsman delight is close to everything, even walking distance from great eateries, coffee houses, bakeries, in a wonderful classic San Diego neighborhood.
I was working while there, and was so glad to have this place and Joan to come back to at the end of the day. Treat yourself and go there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jollyberries
Albuquerque
Reviewed 9 August 2012

From the moment we parked our car next to the "Ponder Post" and the lush garden on the side of this beautiful Craftsman home to our reluctant departure we knew we had found the best B and B in San Diego. We read the wonderful quotes on the "Ponder Post" before we entered and were sure we would meet a kindred soul--Joan Crone is an amazing woman--creative, resilient, artistic and welcoming. We were thrilled with the beauty of her historic home; every detail is exquisite and she shared so much about herself, the wonderful antiques and her fascinating book art. The location in Mission Hills is ideal--minutes from the airport and Balboa Park and freeways with lots to explore within walking distance. The continental breakfast was delicious-- fresh fruit, great coffee and yummy pastries (with gluten free for me). We will return again and again.

Room Tip: queen bed in one room with an adjoining bathroom; a double bed with 1/2 bath in other room; the quee...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
montreal
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is the second time I visited Joan Crone’s B&B, this time for two weeks with my bride (now my wife), and my excellent memories from the first trip were further expanded indeed. The large house with two guest bedrooms + 11/2 guest bathrooms is gorgeously and tastefully furnished and maintained, much like an enchanting antiques museum. Thanks to its excellent location in upscale Mission Hills, close to fine restaurants and bars, we were able to visit, using the Trolley train and buses, many of the key San Diego sightseeing settings such as Downtown and Seaport/Bayfront, Balboa Park, La Jolla, Coronado, Old Town, and last but not least Mission Beach with bicycle renting.

The proprietress Joan is an amazing and accomplished book artist, and a highly resourceful and bright personality with a deep knowledge of the human nature which comes across very naturally, and with the rare capacity to see the big picture in complex situations. She was very generous in showing us some of her book arts, she even crafted some great pieces according to our special request in preparation of the wedding and the aim of strengthening our relationship.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple