“Great hotel in a great location”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #121 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I have stayed at the Gaslamp Plaza twice and thoroughly enjoyed my experience both times. The hotel is clean, the staff extremely friendly and helpful and the cost was reasonable. I stayed in the single bed studio for one trip when I was traveling alone and in a suite when I traveled with a guest and both rooms were spacious, comfortable, clean, and offered just what I needed for the occasion. The single bed studio was a snug fit but still very comfortable, larger than I expected and the room included a desk, closet, microwave, fridge.

In the heart of downtown, and walking distance to shopping, restaurants, Little Italy and more, the Gaslamp Plaza is in a wonderful, central location. The hotel rooftop which is open until 11: 00 pm is a unique feature and a great place to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast, read, relax or simply take in the view.

Internet costs $10/day which was reasonable. Valet parking was $28/day, while somewhat pricey, was very convenient and I was able to come and go as I pleased without worrying about street parking.

The hotel was offering a discount both times that I stayed there, which made the cost reasonable for me. Without the discount it would not have been in my personal budget but I would definitely consider the hotel worth the full price cost.

The noise level is what you would expect from a hotel located in a downtown area - i.e. typical traffic noise but not unordinarily loud.

The only thing I felt was missing was on an premise workout room. There are gyms within walking distance that they recommend and there's plenty of walking to do visiting San Diego but nothing is available within the hotel.

I would definitely recommend the Gaslamp Plaza Suites to anyone visiting San Diego!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Gaslamp Plaza Suites

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I found it on the web, and it looked good, but you never know. I was not disappointed. The corner one-bedroom suite was the perfect perch from which to watch the goings on within the Gaslamp District. Horton Plaza and the U.S. Grant Hotel are about a half a block away.

It's true the continental breakfast is basic, but oh, the view! Also, the $28 nightly valet charge and charge for Internet service may seem a bit pricey, but what do you do?

Hope to go again soon — pleasure!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Stayed 3 nights in a 1 bedroom corner suite. Nice views of the city. Great location in the Gaslamp district with restaurants and nightlife on your doorstep. Opposite the large Horton Plaza shopping centre which also houses a movie complex.
Breakfast was minimal and basic. The rooftop terrace area was very nice with great city views.
The Suite we had was overall spacious and comfortable, furnished in keeping with the historic style of the building . Old tube TV in sitting room(needs updating) and small flat screen in bedroom. No free Wifi in room and we thought parking was rather expensive at $28 per day. The hotel overall has a nice historic ambience, with many impressive architectural marble features.
The staff we had contact with were very friendly and helpful which we appreciated.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davestan12016
Reviewed 18 March 2011

We stayed at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites for an extended weekend trip in Room 1008. The valet and front desk were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is like stepping back in time with the marble floors and stairs, brass accents and crystal chandelier. We had a top floor room which appeared to have been two hotel rooms they made into one to be a one bedroom suite. The view was nice looking out to the west and had a microwave and mini fridge in the room complete with a set of dishes. There is a free continental breakfast that is served on the roof top every morning.

There is much to see and do in the Gaslamp Quarter, there are many restaurants nearby that offer just about any type of food you would be craving. Lots of stores, theaters, etc. Even though there are lots of homeless people on the streets we were never bothered by any of them. There is a Melting Pot restaurant inside the hotel that I highly recommend as well.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2011

My wife and I stayed on a Thursday and Friday night.

Overall, the quality was exceptional. We had a suite on the tenth floor which looked out toward the bay. The suite was well kept and the bathroom facilities were modernized. The two elevators were quaint and it was a bit startlng walking to our room because all the hallway doors were old glass panel doors with mail slots. This place must have been an office building at one point.

The hotel service personnel were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Of course, parking is ugly. $28 a night. For the two days we stayed we either walked or took public transportation which was quite easy to do.

For info on things to do in San Diego, there were several magazines inside the desk drawer which were very helpful. Many had discount coupons in them. This is a non-smoking hotel but people were smoking in the Garden-top roof area. The continental breakfast up there was passable - nothing really spectacular.

As for the noise, it is definitely there. From about 9pm to 2 or 3 in the morning there was chatter, shouting, music, a guy with a megaphone saying something about God, sirens and more sirens. And we were ten floors up. On Friday night, my wife and I watched out the window for nearly two hours until finally at about 1 am, we threw on some clothes and went out and mingled for awhile - rowdy students, homeless people and hookers. It was quite entertaining.

At about 8 am in the morning, all the streets were cleaned up, immaculate even, and the whole neighborhood was dead quiet. An amazing transformation.

If you require a place that is clean, well appointed and quiet, the Gaslamp Plaza Suites can only qualify in two of those three categories. I cannot fault them for being located in a chaotic area.

My wife and I look forward to booking with them again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 1DW1
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I visited this hotel in May 2010 for about a month and I have to say its really the best!! I am handicapped and need some help every day and the staff over there was the friendliest I ever experienced! In the end of my holiday I really felt I had found a new family in them! My special thanks go to Sean, Merry, Carlos, Martha and Holly! Love you all!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2011

My wife and I arrived at the hotel 3 hours before check in but the room was ready, so we could check in and go to our room immediately. The suite was large and well equipped-sink , microwave & small fridge. A tv in the living room and one in the bedroom. The bathroom was adequate with bath tub and shower. The maid service was excellent The Tv in the living room ,however, was problematic. It was in a doored cabinet. When you opened the doors to view the TV, They obstructed the passage to the bedroom and to the kitchen. I.e, you had to close the doors when moving around. Not a big problem.
The location was good- close to all the action-BUT-to close. THe noise level on Thursday, Friday and Saturday was unbearable. We were on the ninth floor but it did not help. The noise went on until after 3 AM. Finally, the breakfast on the roof was a nice touch but afraid that the breakfast was very basic-lots of carbs;cream cheese the only protein; oranges and apples. Paper plates and cups with plastic cutlery. However, Ralph's Superstore is quite close by so we supplemented our breakfast with cheese and boiled eggs ect. Location was also close to all forms of transport so it was easy to get around without a car.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple