“VERY POOR Treatment of a Guest!”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #119 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We arrived on Cinco De Mayo, 2013, at about 5:30pm. We pulled up to the valet. The valet attendant told us it costs $30 for the valet parking. I asked if there are any other options. He suggested that I could park at the Horton Plaza for $10 a night instead, and directed me to how to get there (just around the block). Had the valet worker not suggested that I park at the Horton Plaza, I never would have done so.

The next day Horton Plaza charges me $20 for the overnight parking, because I only stayed 1 night at a downtown hotel. It was the Gaslamp Plaza Suites valet guy who suggested that I park there. I called the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and asked them to straighten it out, and they said they could not help me and that it was not their problem. Finally, the valet department asked me to come down to the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and that they would straighten it out. I ran back, IN THE HEAVY RAIN, only to be told again that it was not their problem and that they had no control on what someone else charges. They even denied that anyone who worked there ever told me to park there, smugly and rudely saying "none of our guys would have ever said that". Well, in fact, one did, the day prior.

Yeah, I know the Horton Plaza is a separate company. The point is that it was a valet worker at Gaslamp Plaza Suites that told me that I could park at the Horton Plaza for $10, and actually SUGGESTED THAT I DO SO. I had no way of knowing that it would be $20. Based on this faulty information (and considering, especially, that I paid over $300 for the room for one night!), the VERY LEAST that Gaslamp Plaza Suites could have done was to reimburse me the $10. Instead, they smugly told me it was not their problem, seemed totally indifferent to the fact that I was soaked from head to toe from running around in the rain based on direction from the Gaslamp Plaza Suites valet attendant, and showed absolutely no care or concern for a customer that just dumped $300+ into their hotel.

$10 is not a lot in the modern world. It is the total disrespect for a hotel guest that bothered me. Prior to this incident, I could have given this hotel at least a 4 star rating. I visit San Diego several times a year. I will never stay at this place again, and now they get a 1 star review on TripAdvisor. It would have been well worth it for them if they would have apologized for the inconvenience, treated their guests with concern and respect, took responsibility for the faulty information, and reimburse me $10 measly dollars.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Karsten1776
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear guest,

I am sorry you felt our customer service were not up to your standards. I have spoken with the staff concerned and was informed you had told us upon check out that you enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to the parking, we do only have control over our own parking. Yes, we do provide valet parking for an overnight charge of $30.00 per night with unlimited in/out privileges. The parking is optional and if the guest chooses to park elsewhere that’s of course not a problem. The valet you had spoken with on Sunday informed me that yes, you had indicated you didn’t want to park with us and asked for alternatives. In an effort to provide you with these alternatives, he had informed you about several alternatives and said that one of the alternatives was the Horton Plaza parking garage. He had told you that the rate had been $10.00 there previously but that he wasn’t sure if that were the case now and for you to verify. Since we have no way to keep up with all the different rates in the various parking lots and garages we went over to the Horton Plaza’s parking structure and found that there are signs both when you drive in as well as next to the ticket machine informing that “The evening flat rate is $20.00”. Once again, I am sorry that you didn’t feel we handled this correctly. I can assure you that we do take all complaints seriously and try to solve them best way we can.

There are newer reviews for Gaslamp Plaza Suites

Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed in a mini suite and I recommend anyone looking at this hotel to do the same. The room was large and very comfortable. The location was geat, close to cool bars and places to eat. Also it is close enough to walk to places like Petco Park to catch a baseball game or walk down to the harbour to have a tour on the USS Midway.
I really enjoyed my stay and can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you had a wonderful stay with us. We always strive to make every guests stay as memorable as we can. We look forward having you come back soon again.

Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

We got a pretty good deal through hotels.com, I probably wouldn't have paid full price. We got a partial suite which was still pretty big. The windows were huge and afforded great views. The terrace at the top was pretty cool, I got some great panoramic shots of San Diego from up there. I think the hotel was once a bank, the elevators were very ornate. Staff were friendly and welcoming.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

The most central location for everything in the gas lamp district. The room was immaculate and the views were stunning of downtown and the Coronado bridge. The new decor was stylish and comfortable and roomy with two large rooms and a large bathroom. It was truly an upscale experience!!!

Reviewed 26 April 2013

We stayed in a mini suite with our 8 year old and loved the character of the hotel. It was great having kitchen facilities and a separate living area with a pullout couch. The location was a big plus, part of the gaslamp district. It is a bit noisy and the breakfast as very basic, but would definitely recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Stayed at the Gaslamp Plaza suites for 2 nights. Enjoyed our stay. Our mini suite was spacious and nicely furnished. The queen sized bed was very comfortable. All staff were friendly(Mike was great at check-in). The hotel is downtown and within walking distance to everything. Unfortunately, my husband and I were there during spring break. Friday night was pretty loud and crazy around the hotel. Saturday night was calmer. Regardless, the hotel was great and would definitely recommend.

1  Thank vacationkrazy

Thank you very much for taking your time to review us. It seems you had an excellent time visiting the Gaslamp Quarter and we are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned, the crowd was a little boisterous on Friday night, yes, the weekends are usually filled with people enjoying a night out in downtown San Diego. Thanks again and Welcome back!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We recently stayed at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites for 2 nights. The hotel itself is charming, front desk staff always friendly and helpful. Our room on the 6th floor had a bedroom area and a lounge area, bedroom not very big, but having the 2 areas worked well (although had to store our luggage in here). Complimentary continental breakfast was limited in choices, but fine for us to get the day started. Didn't spend much time in our room at all, but my only complaint would be the hot water, it took a minimum of 10 minutes to get hot water in the morning, was fine when I did, but a little chilly to start, there was a note about a water main burst on the day we arrived, so that may have something to do with it. Location was great, very close to bars, restaurants, cafes. Close to one of the Old Town Trolley tour stops and walking distance to convention centre and harbour if interested in the USS Midway.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Guest.
Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, our location is great, in the midst of the Gaslamp Quarter, close to all the area attraction in San Diego. In regards to your comment about the water, we were aware of this problem which was caused by a construction crew working for the city, that cut off the main water line on 5th Avenue. In order for the city to perform the repair, they had to shut off the water leading into our building as well as the ones surrounding us. After the repair had been done, it takes quite awhile to get the water up into our high rise building and to start to circulate the way it is supposed to. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.