“Pictures on website not true” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gaslamp Plaza Suites

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #127 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Ottawa, Canada
“Pictures on website not true”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Great location & great staff. Room was outdated and the carpet very dirty - not at all what I expected after looking at pics on the website. Breakfast on the rooftop ok : great views, very basic food.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Vivimilie
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Guest,

I am a little puzzled as to what pictures you are referring to. All of our photos on our web site are current and true. All of our rooms have been completely remodeled, the last two floors being finished as late as March of this year. If you didn't view the photos on our own web site, I would welcome you to contact me so I know what web site you are referring to.
Thank you!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Don't reserve a small studio. You will end up with a full sized bed (even though we requested Queen) that barely fits in the closet they call a room that doesnt have even a closet. We could hear club music all night. Our view was of a dark ugly alley. We complained about the size of the room and were never given anything better. Jennifer and Sean (manager) were unhelpful and didn't care. We liked the location and the rooftop only. We took a refund after the first night since they were unable or did not want to provide a bigger room for the week. If you stay here you have to book a suite or don't stay at all. Warning the pastries are inedible so you need to like Cheerios or raisin bran for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Waterlilyrose
First of all, I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We offer many different kind of rooms. The room type you reserved is the smallest of the rooms we offer and it comes with either a full or a queen size bed. We will always try to adhere to any request of bed size but there are times we just can't accommodate all requests, as we would like to . The small studio does face the back of our building so there is no view. The price on this small studio is also less than all of our other rooms. We have many guests that want this type of room due to the much lower price than the other rooms we offer. It does come with all the amenities we have in the other rooms except for that the size, as you mentioned, is small. So again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. If there is anything else I can do for you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in June and had a great time, everything about the hotel for the price we paid was extremely good. Booked 2 mini suites and they were awesome. One of my adult sons has autism and he coped with the hotel and its surroundings, we managed to park just opposite using our temporary disabled placard. Hotel staff were ok but you only really see them on reception.The situation of the Hotel is excellent, we visited the zoo, balboa park, old town, Cabrrillo monument, La jolla, seaport village, Carlsbad and other attractions. All of which are within easy reach of the Hotel.
It is at night time where the location of the Hotel comes into its own, great affordable restaurants and bars a few minutes walk away.
Didn't care much for the wine bar below the PLaza suites but its not for everybody.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I lived in this hotel for three nights in the middle of July. The rooms are spacious and really nicely furnished. I see some reviewers have complained about noise from the street but that was no problem for me or my friends. The breakfast view on the top floor was better than the food. That said the view is really good! The valet parking is affordable at 30$ a night and the front desk were helpful. No free wifi, though!
I got the rooms at a fraction of what I believe this hotel to be worth which may have increased my enjoyment of the stay. Overall though, the gaslamp plaza is a really good hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Sindrelh
Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. I am glad you felt the Gaslamp Plaza Suites were a good value for price paid.
Welcome back!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Overall we had a great experience. This hotel is located steps away from great shopping and restaurants. We were on the second floor and booked the least expensive room. The bed was only a full but for the price we were fine with it. The rooftop terrace is great and we were able to take a bottle of wine up there and enjoy the view before dinner. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to all travelers wanting to stay in the Gaslamp quarter.

1 Thank caroline6462
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Great place with Art Deco charm. The room was pretty spacious, with a tv/couch/fridge/microwave area separate from the bed area. It's right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter, which means it's very close to tons of restaurants and nightlife places. Easy enough to take the bus to Balboa Park and the Zoo. I was on one of the higher floors, and I only heard the occasional city noise (like an ambulance in the middle of the night). They serve continental breakfast on the roof, so you get to start your day with a nice view of the city and water. Merry was extremely helpful with offering recommendations for how to get around the city, and the valet attendant was very kind and helpful as well.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor so you don't hear as much street noise
1 Thank Laura T
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
I am very happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know. I will make sure Merry knows that you appreciated her assistance as well as the valet.
Welcome back!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

Can't give 3 1/2 stars here, so will be 3-stars. Saw the last review posted and sorry to hear of the bad stay due to noise. It's actually typical, especially in Gaslamp, during friday nights/weekends for the surrounding area to be loud as that's when the partying happens. Stay on higher floors to decrease the chance of disturbance if noise is a concern for you.

We were lucky to get a room on the 10th floor (highest, before rooftop). Yes, we still could hear a bit of partying outside, but we had long days, so dozed off easily - noise not a concern for us.

One block stood between the hotel and the mall, so really convenient to walk over to the Westfield Horton Plaza - there's a CVS which made it easy to pick up drinks and necessities.

Front Desk - I have to say been here twice. During my first visit, we were greeted by a lady (don't know her name). She really does a *wonderful* job as a hostess, being the first face you see, quite welcoming/happy. This second visit, we were not greeted by her but a gentlemen. He was very courteous and polite, but I have to say the lady went above and beyond to really make you feel welcomed. Happy to say, we got the opportunity to be graced with her presence when we checked-out, so that was great she is still around. Great job by her!

We stayed, in a mini-queen suite, comfortable for a couple traveling. Second time staying at this hotel and I was so very pleased with the room we got this time; room was definitely renovated:

- CARPETING: so pleased - not worn down, looks new; soft on your feet/still feel its plushness; the color/design of the carpet (dark beige/black) gave it a more upgraded/sophisticated appeal which I really loved, compared to the drabby all-green carpeting we got on our first visit, 'puke')! Glad they are renovating (they posted a note on the lobby ground as well). This is a positive thing so hopefully better experiences for future visitors.

- SOFA / TV: Really nice soft/comfy sofa and flat-screen tv (which was on a smaller side since the distance from the bed to the tv is quite a distance. If you watch tv from the sofa, it is fine). From my first visit, we got a room with the clunky old tv, blah).

-COFFEE TABLE / DRAWERS: 2 square-shaped coffee tables, dark-color wood which also gave it a more updated/rich feel. Same with the drawers as well, new and up-to-date/modern.

-BED: comfortable, no complaints here (was actually expecting it to bigger/wider, but I got over it).

-KITCHENETTE AREA:
Fridge - clean/no-odor; primarily used to store our drinks.
Coffee maker - small one on the counter; didn't use as can get that from the rooftop during breakfast hours.
Microwave - didn't use as enjoyed the San Diego restaurants around.
Mini-Sink - didn't really use but was good to have there to pour out our liquids.

-TEMPERATURE CONTROL: very glad I had no issues with switching to fan-mode or a/c mode; no issues with increasing/decreasing the temperature at any time.

-OUTLETS: very good access to wall outlets, one next to the bed, two sets of outlets on opposite sides where the tv is at, as well as on the desk.

-CLOSET SPACE: opposite to the kitchenette area. Would have been better if they replaced the light bulb with some stronger, fluorescent white light, it was rather dim for my eyes. The double doors to the closet had full length mirrors on both the doors, great to have.

Another suggestion to management - the wood painted-over-white rod in the closet makes it so hard to move the hangers from left to right. It would be good if it is replaced with a metal rod so it would be a smoother roll and one is not chipping away at the paint when they move hangers back and forth.

Security Box - a small rectangular-shaped box which has a key to lock (cheap-side). Don't think about putting your mini laptop here, won't fit! Only really good to put jewerly or small items. Though, I'd go against using it because it's such a small box, it's something one can just pick the box up and take away with them! Ok, to be fair, I didn't try to touch/move it so could it be possible it is mounted to the floor to avoid that? hmm..

-BATHROOM: now this is where my complaints lie. Not totally bad, but definitely room for improvements here:
-Toilet: Con: the flush is so gentle/light that I had to flush twice at times.
Pro: at least no clogs during my stay (whew)!
Pro: there is a strip of paper wrapped around the seat stating it's "sanitized". Nice touch.
Tidbit: a small wall separates the sink between the toilet.

-Toilet Tissue: Con: The cheap, thin/paper-like types. It would be good if it was softer.
Pro: Maybe it's thin for a reason because of the gentle/light flush so doesn't clog!

-Sink: Con: we got a sink that is clogged apparently. Turn on the water and water drains slow. Had to turn off the water to let just let it drain out.
Con: the water pressure needs to be attended to. While turning on the water, good for awhile and then the pressure dies, little water comes out, and then some seconds later, the pressure is back. It can get annoying/frustrating.
Pro: the amount of counter space is a huge plus. Was able to sprawl out everything.
Pro: great huge size mirror

- Shower: Con: again with the water pressure, turned on water and there are moments where the water stopped flowing completely! You can hear it trying to make it's way up, so eventually, it does come back on.
Pro: there is hot water, so no complaints there!
Pro: nice-sized tub space and along the back and side of the tub there is a ledge you can put your shampoo/soap/etc.

-Lighting: Con: now this is the unbelievable one. Eventually, I timed it and figured out the lights turn off automatically after 15 mins. There are two light controls: one for the sink area and the other controls the tub and toilet area. First night while in the showers, all lights went out! I was in complete darkness (that was freaky). It wasn't as if I wasn't moving, I was! There's a glitch somewhere. So each night, I had to leave the bathroom door opened so I can get some light in, in case I didn't make it out within 15 mins. Please fix this issue Gaslamp!!!

Pro: I can see they are using energy-saving bulbs, good lighting in the sink area, but the dim-yellow lighting in the toilet area and tub area, would be great if replaced with brigher/whiter lighting.

Wrap-Up:
Will I stay here again? Yes. With them renovating, I would hope all rooms look/feel like this one (though, do keep in mind, this is an older building, so there is the old/historic charm to it).

But please Gaslamp Plaza Suites, fix the lighting issue in the bathroom and water pressure at the very least!

Room Tip: Watch out for bathroom lights automatically shutting off after 15 mins!