“Don't Plan to Get a Wink of Sleep...”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #129 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Luis Obispo, California
“Don't Plan to Get a Wink of Sleep...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

What a shame that this charming, well located property with large, comfortable rooms, a small kitchenette and friendly staff falls so short of a comfortable place to stay. Couple that with $30 a day to park your car and $11.95 a day for WiFi will lead me to suggest you can do better -- much better! Our annual Guys' Weekend for the NCAA Western Regional Basketball Tournament was in San Diego this year. The Gaslamp Plaza Suites is well located and the rooms are actually large and mostly comfortable. We had an 8th floor room overlooking Fifth Street. When the web site tells you the hotel is centrally located to the Gaslamp Quarter they are correct. What it doesn't tell you is there are bars, clubs and other loud establisments that go full tilt until 3 a.m. I spent two nightsw there listening to loud, obnoxious bar partrons, street cleaners, sirens, and the hip club downstairs in the basement of the hotel. There was no escaping the noise leading to two sleepless nights. Our room was on the 5th Street side with all the noise but our other friends were on the other side of the hotel and they got the club's noises all night long. Adding insult to the entire experience was $30 a day to park my car and internet at $11.95 per 24 hours (which by the way didn't last the full 24 hours before asking me to spend another $11.95). Stay here if you want location -- but don't plan to sleep.

Room Tip: Based on our experience there are no quiet rooms regardless of how high a floor you are on or which...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HospitalDude

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I was so pleasantly surprised and impressed by the Gaslamp Plaza Suites. In reading some reviews prior to my visit, I was a little nervous based on some negative experiences that people have had. I am pleased to report that I had a fabulous 3 night stay in this lovely hotel! The staff is amazingly friendly and determined to accommodate your needs, the location in the Gaslamp cannot be beat and the character is charming. Let me share some experiences that others have commented on:
1) Noise. On a Sunday night I was able to hear street noise and loud voices/music past 11pm but it didn't prevent me from falling asleep. Furthermore, when choosing to stay in the heart of the Gaslamp District, one accepts the fact that there is going to be noise. It would be like staying in the French Quarter in New Orleans and complaining that the music is too loud. I did not hear noise on Monday or Tuesday nights.
2) Breakfast. The hotel website is very clear that a continental breakfast is served daily. CONTINENTAL. Not meat and eggs and fruit plates and waffles, but CONTINENTAL. Every single morning during breakfast hours, at least one guest came to the rooftop and asked in their best whiney voice "is this all that there is?". And every time the hotel attendant was kind and gracious when explaining to the guest that yes, this is the breakfast. The CONTINENTAL breakfast. Just once I wanted her to say, "no, we hide the good stuff from the whiners and complainers", but Martha is way too nice for that.
3) Room size. I was in a "studio" room with a king size bed. Though it was just me in the room, I had more than enough space for me, my two suitcases and briefcase. Plenty of room to move around, relax and shower. Also, there is a small fridge, microwave, and kitchen utensils/plates/glasses in the room. Useful if you need them.
4) Pillows. I have to go with the masses on this one. The pillows are quite firm and uncomfortable for me. Better off to bring your own unless you like a firm pillow.
5) Parking. Yes, parking is $30/day. Yes, this is a lot of money but yes, this is also the going rate in the area. If you plan to stay in the Gaslamp, plan to pay $30/day almost anywhere.
Overall, I had a fantastic stay and felt quite comfortable, safe and content at the Gaslamp and would definitely return.
Oh, and you may have read about Merry (front desk) in other reviews--as impossible as it sounds, Merry is as wonderful as everyone says!
Overall I was extremely pleased with my stay at the Gaslamp!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Jennifer,
What a wonderful review to read on a Monday morning. Thank you very much for your detailed observation of your stay with us. We hope you will be able to come back and stay soon again. Have a great week and Welcome Back!
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We drove from Anaheim, parked out the front, offloaded the bags, dehired the car and set off on foot around San Diego. I noted the parking fee was rich ($30 day) and we decided to use public transport during our stay. This was a good choice as everything was so easy to get to using public transport in San Diego and we got to talk with locals on our travels.
Family of four stayed in a Mini-Suite, just enough room for the couch to fold out into a double bed for the kids to share. Didn't need a lot of room as our days were fairly well full and only spent the late afternoon/evening in the room.
The hotel is beautiful internally, the foyer, elevator and corridors all have a classic hotel look and feel.
The reception were very helpful with where to go and how to get there.
The breakfast was good without being great, but what was the great part of the stay was breakfast on the rooftop. The lady supervising the breakfast made breakfast great for one of our boys, she noticed he liked the chocolate muffins and she saved one for him each day. On our last day we made sure to thank her for thinking of us, little things like this really make a stay memorable.
The area is very central and there are lots of restaurants and bars nearby. The Horton Plaza is literally a stone's throw away, but most of our shopping was done elsewhere.
I would recommend this hotel, but ensure you get the room which suits you best.

Room Tip: Higher levels have less noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Old and quaint, but clean and convenient. Our room was most unique - there was plenty of room, but we had to shimmy around the bed and it was impossible to open the bathroom door more than a third w/o hitting the bed.

Pay for the Valet. The adjacent parking lot charges in timed intervals such that you would have to run out and add money at inconvenient times.

The rooftop breakfast was scenic, but basic. Very nice location to enjoy a cup of morning coffee!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Santa Ana, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Our room was larger than I expected which was a pleasant surprise. Location was nice for bar hopping the gaslamp district during NFL playoffs. The downside would definitely be the $30/ day parking. We did not know this was the only real option for our car, but I guess I should have looked in to that. Nice rooftop patio area, but the hallways and room seemed kind of old and musty when we arrived. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gatwick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I like to swing my cat for relaxation, and I must say Tiddles finds it therapeutic too, but not at the Gaslamp Plaza. The room was so small that the double (not even a queen) bed was against the wall requiring one of us (guess) to climb over the other to get in/out. Fortunately we were only there two nights and the proximity to the restaurants and bars on Fifth was a positive as was the roof top terrace for breakfast (continental). $30 car parking per night and expensive wifi in the room were negatives. There has to be a better deal out there - will look closer next time. There, there Tiddles, I'll take you next time x

Room Tip: There is no photo of our room in the many photos of this hotel. It was clearly a single room sold as...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest,
We always appreciate when a guest takes their time to send in a review. Since you describe you reserved a Mobile Rate, it is described as "1 double bed (room type will be assigned at check-in)...." The size of this room is small but it has all the amenities that all the larger rooms has i.e. mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave, etc. I am sorry you felt it was too small but I do hope you still enjoyed your stay in San Diego. Since we are located in the Gaslamp Quarter parking is at a premium. Our valet parking rate is currently $30.00 per night with unlimited in/out privilege. If you want to park elsewhere there are many public parking facilities you can chose from and prices vary. Once again, thank you for your review and welcome back to San Diego.
Lihue, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our room was quaint and clean!..Its such a beautiful histori hotel. Complimentary continental breakfast on the rooftop overlooking the City.The staff was nice. Parking is $30, which is normal for any downtown hotel. Near lots of restaurants and trolley rides, really don't need a car.

Room Tip: corner units are nice. Didn't use the Swimming pool or Fitness center, so really can't rate...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please come back and see us soon again.