“Exceptional service, ocean views and rooms for families to enjoy San Diego and LaJolla”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed 2 August 2014

During our recent 10 day trip to explore the CA coast, our stay at the Pacific Terrace was our final stop and we did save the best for last! We had a great room with plenty of space for the 4 of us including 2 kids. The service was exceptional and loved their coupon book book offering many extras for the hotel and surrounding area. We would highly recommend and will definitely stay again in the future!

Room Tip: Ocean front on 2nd or 3rd floor
2 Thank Deb L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just returned from a 4 night stay at the Pacific Terrace. The hotel staff was friendly, professional and went out of there to make our visit enjoyable. The location is fantastic and the hotel was exceptionally clean. I would recommend trying to get a room on the 3rd floor for the best views. My only two comments to make this hotel better would be it is in need of a little updating and faster elevators. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to friends and family. The rooms are a little pricey but I knew that when I booked it so I don't have any complaints about that. Beach front in July on a weekend!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms give the best view of the ocean.
2 Thank M H
Ionia, Michigan
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We were on a 6 week road trip and stated at the Pacific Terrace and we loved it. The rooms were elegant and very clean. The hotel overlooks the ocean, whereas, the view is breathtaking. The pool is also very beautiful and well maintained.

In addition, the hotel is within walking distance of all the bars and restaurants around Pacific Terrace!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark1365
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel and it exceeded my expectations! My husband and kids took me here as a surprise for my birthday. I was a little leery as I usually do all the planning. When we arrived, I was completely shocked-in a positive way! This was the same weekend as Comi-Con so we paid a very premium price, but it was all worth it.

**Rooms - we had a standard guest room, ocean view w/ 2 queen beds - a balcony w/ 4 chairs and table, and a dining room table inside. My guess is the rooms were close to 500+ sq. ft. The rooms were beautiful including a kitchenette w/ microwave, sink, fridge & dishes/silverware. There is a separate vanity area and a huge bathroom including bath tub/shower combo. In room #309, we had a great view of the pool and beach. Also included is a ceiling fan and eco friendly AC unit (it's senses when you're out of the room and saves on energy, yet take just minutes to cool down the room). Most of the time we left the patio door open to listen to the ocean even at night. Also included in a DVD player (free kids move rentals at the front desk) and big screen tv's. We had a 5th person so they lent us the air mattress and linens for free.

**Amenities - Tommy Bahama bath products were plentiful! Turn down service every night including chocolates and weather forecast for the next day. Housekeeping was wonderful - they even made designs out of the towels on the bed and were a very friendly staff. We had unlimited use of pool towels, beach toys, umbrellas, beach chairs, boogie boards, and bicycles. Every morning they have free coffee in the lobby and free apples/cookies in the afternoon. In the pool area, you have access to cold water, lemonade and iced tea - all free! The Fitness Center is included and messages on site.

**Service - It's top notch! You get to know your favorites - Eric was by far the best along w/ Joe and Nancy. They make you feel right at home and take time to talk to you and give recommendations.

**Food - we only ate the breakfast buffet $14 for adults $8 for kids 13 and under. It's worth it! Plus you can eat at the tables poolside and still hear the ocean. We didn't eat much that was offered from the hotel outside of breakfast. We have drinks poolside and that was about it. Other times we at out or had food delivered to the hotel and ate on the table poolside - which a lot of people did so I am assuming the hotel doesn't mind. We ordered from Woodstock's Pizza...it's very good and they deliver directly to your room - get a coupon from downstairs for a free cinnabread dessert :-)

**Pool and Beach - the pool is nicely heated. There are never too many people in it. This is definitely a family friendly resort. The beach has easy access, just out the pool door, down the boardwalk a few steps, and down the steps to the beach.

**Location - this is tucked away nicely, right on the beach. t's a smaller hotel so I like that there isn't too many people, it's in a perfect area. You just walk a couple of blocks down and you get the hustle and bustle. There is a ton of restaurants at different levels within walking distance, make sure to have an ice cream sandwich at The Baked Bear, a cheap fulfilling breakfast at Kono's (get there early) or a nice steak dinner at JRDN.
**The only "complaint" I would have, and this is stretching it, is the elevator. It is slow and there's no AC so it's hot and humid. But seriously, if this is our only complaint then life is good! :-) Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, I'm happy to share. I will be back here again, probably every year now we will make it a tradition. You won' regret it!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on 2nd/3rd floor for a nice ocean view. If you get first floor, you have very eas...
3 Thank Jettsta
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First time in SanDiego, and while the flight was horrendous and the shuttle here even more so, the Pacific Terrace more than made up for it. I am not a reviewer in general but this hotel deserve the kudos. The staff is insanely friendly, knowledgable, available and just all around happy kind people. Over the course of the week we got to know the staff and this epitomizes customer service. I loved every minute. Needing a vacation to de-stress from work life, this place did it and it was simply amazing. I have no words. I will be back and recommending to everyone I know. Thank you for an amazing stay.

Oh and if you have kids...this is a great spot. And they are so great with kids.

Deb

Room Tip: You want ocean facing, hands down. I didn't have one but I still loved it
4 Thank JonesandtheHoligrams
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second time back to Pacific Terrace. We had a junior suite on the second floor with a nice balcony looking out to the ocean. The location is directly facing the beach, the pool is great and fun for everyone, and the staff are very accommodating. This is a smaller hotel with probably 75 or 80 rooms at most. You can walk right down to the beach and there are dozens and dozens of restaurants and shops within walking distance. I would say this is a very good family spot, but would fit the needs of just about anyone. I wavered between rating this property very good, or excellent, and chose excellent because of the location and friendly staff. It is not super fancy, but more than nice. If you are looking for super high end rooms in the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton category, this is not it, but I would still give it an excellent for so many other good features the hotel offers.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank TOWestonCT
El Granada, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The location of the hotel is right next to the beach so it was easy for us to take a moon walk every midnight. Everyone set foot on the white powdery sand and some took a dip even though it was very cold. It was fun walking around the hotel because when we get hungry the restaurants are just around the corner. We feel very welcome and even got some desserts and refreshments courtesy of the hotel. Though we experienced some technical problems like the a/c and the coffeemaker they staff was quick to respond and fix the a/c and brought us a new coffee machine. The amenities was a bit pricy like $14 resort fee but it was worth every penny to get you bikes, boogie boards, chairs, umbrella etc. Another thing is the room transfer. Though it look like a big hassle it was really pack and go. We packed our stuff out and left for lunch and when we came back, we got our new keys and went to our new room like nothing had happened. The staff are very attentive to our needs especially Kyla, she attended to my family very well, she even brought us coffee personally and played with my daughter. She provided an excellent service. I think that kind of service would really make us go back there yearly.

2 Thank Bernard C