“Amazing Hotel Staff!!!!!!!!!”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Our stay here was above and beyond our expectations. The staff treated our stay like we booked a 5 star hotel. They were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and polite. We did not want to checkout. The property is beachfront so even lounging at pool you see the sunset and ocean. Nice 42" plasma tv, I think 42". Rooms were cozy and since we were on the first floor we could walk right out to pool. The beach was nice. Many places to eat nearby and hotel provides dinner info for surrounding areas. The walls are kind of thin, so be prepared to get up at 8am. I prefer to sleep late when I have no agenda. Valet parking is $20.00. I recommend this hotel if you are searching for nice hotel and do not want to pay for 4 or 5 star prices.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank exotik
Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed 24 March 2009

This hotel was amazing - the appearance, the cleanliness, the rooms, the staff, the location - the list goes on. The staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to the next visit!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ejdennis
Reviewed 13 March 2009

This place was recommended by close friends. To summarize: great rooms and views;
exceptional guest room interiors; very helpful/pleasant staff.

Negatives: DON'T STAY HERE AT SPRING BREAK IF YOU CAME TO RELAX.
They charge $20/night to park which is gouging.

Overall: 9 out of 10

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gerronimo
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This was a very good hotel. The price was right (even though it was the off-season discount), everyone was friendly, room was clean, balcony led right out to the ocean, beach was nearby, lots of places to eat were very close, and there was very little about it that I think could have been improved. They even came up with a free glass of wine on my first night.

That said, there were a few things. The bathroom was just a little tacky and badly maintained (though clean and not bad enough to affect my enjoyment any), they charge $20 parking - which if you're paying full price would seem almost like an insult, but I paid half so it didn't bother me too much... there is no onsite restaurant. All of the extra charges (parking, etc) made me feel like I was being nickel and dimed, and if I'd had to pay full price it wouldn't have been worth it. They did have a "continental breakfast" one morning - which was a danish and an orange juice - and $9 for an omelet and some sausage. While I can understand them charging for the hot stuff, you can get a better continental breakfast at a place half the price.

Go on the off season and you'll have a great time for a decent price... go when it's full price and you'll probably feel a little cheated. Not because it's not a great stay - it is - it's just not worth $500 a night plus parking.

Oh, and watch out for the birds.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank duskglow
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I really like this boutique hotel and Pacific Beach especially. The rooms are nice. The staff is friendly and it's right on the beach. The hotel currently serves a complimentary continental breakfast with *interesting* one-piece-only rules that are given to guests by a very sincere employee. Instead of being offended that we were policed for our breakfast picks, I was actually sort of tickled! (I always have a piece of fruit and coffee, so it was no big deal.)

Another good thing about the location is that I never had to leave the area. Small shops, restaurants, the beach, the boardwalk -- all were right there. I never felt the need to visit the other attractions. The hotel met my need to veg out, hear waves, and never have to jump in a taxi during my stay.

Last thing: housekeeping can be pretty slow. If you are someone who needs your room cleaned daily and before noon, make sure to let them know beforehand.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank TheTravelFactor
Reviewed 5 March 2009

We had an unforgettable time here! We are locals and came here for a mid-week post-Valentine's/husband's birthday getaway. When the amazing staff noticed it was my husband's bday, we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite and it was fabulous!! It really created a special memory for us and what a bummer we didn't stay an extra night. The first thing we did was enjoy the sunset from the balcony which immediately relaxed us. We then walked to Gringo's and had a delicious dinner. There are a zillion restaurants to choose from in a 1 block radius, FYI. Upon return, enjoyed the jacuzzi tub while watching the awesome bathroom TV (we don't have an LCD at home). The room was beautifully decorated and you can leave your balcony door open to hear the ocean waves as you lie in the ginormous bed. The TV from the bed was great too. Just being that close to the ocean was soooooo spirit-changing. Even staying just one night was renewing. The cool thing is most of the rooms face out to the ocean. We will definitely be back, and for longer next time!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thriving88
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We had the most wonderful time at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. We have two children ages 2.5 and 5 years so we stayed in a Family Suite (two rooms) the first two nights. The prices went way up for Valentines Day weekend so we switched to a Junior Suite to be more economical. This room actually worked much better for us and we downgraded the rest of the trip to the Junior Suite from the Family Suite. We found we didn't need the bedroom closed off...the kids fell asleep easily after days at Legoland, Seaworld, Zoo etc. and then coming home and playing in the pool. The suite was well equipted and had a refrig, kitchen table, plates and utensils so we were able to eat fruit and cereal most days before heading out. This saved money and felt like we were having a healthy meal. We loved being pool side so it was easy getting back and forth to the pool with the kids and for cocktail hour supplies.

We were thrilled with the location. You are right on Pacific Beach and it is beautiful. The boardwalk runs for 3.5 miles or so and it is just gorgeous.

I could not recommend this hotel more. Rooms are very clean. Staff is very friendly and care deeply about your enjoyment and satisfaction. Plush robes are a nice touch and great for traveling out to the pool when the weather is only 60'f but the kids want to go in. Pool and hot tub were great and beautiful view from the pool. We can't wait to go back.

Some recommendations...Taco Surf across the street had great authentic Mexican food which we took back to our room for dinner on two nights. Walk down the boardwalk and there is a breakfast place Kono's. Not a healthy breakfast but delicious and people line up. The line moves very quickly. Joe's Crabshack also a nice walk down the boardwalk was delicious and the beers reasonable (3.99 for a microbrewed draft pint). We had the Dungeness crab and it was excellent. Great kids menu which was important to us. Ralph's grocery store was convenient and good prices if you get a store card. Longs Drugs of all places had good prices on wine and alcohol.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family