“Great Location”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 April 2009

This is a really nice hotel in a great location. The front desk staff are awesome. We stayed one night and got the internet special of $115/ night for a partial ocean view. Otherwise, it is way more. It is definately worth this price, but not sure about 300-400 dollars. There are many places within walking distance. Overall, we loved it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank newtravelors
Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed 6 April 2009

We love most everything about this place but there are a few issues that bother me. The staff is great, the location can't be beat and the hotel has personality. We have stayed here two years in a row and a trend I have noticed, perhaps economy based, is that if they have vacancies you can walk in off the street and pay 1/3 of the regular price. I get it from a business point of view but I am paying $400 a night and the guy next to me is paying $150-200. Here's an idea. Lower all the prices a little bit and maybe that would book out more rooms for a longer period so the hotel would not have to lower themselves to a business practice straight out of ebay. In the past they offered a continental breakfast now they are trying to make the very little dining room more then it can be. I think they should shift back to continental and have a small fee that someone pays associated with their room if they desire. Stop the hot meals, it was painful to watch people cram into that space staff included. There are several restaurants within a short stroll that are decent.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Hulasurf
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Our stay here was above and beyond our expectations. The staff treated our stay like we booked a 5 star hotel. They were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and polite. We did not want to checkout. The property is beachfront so even lounging at pool you see the sunset and ocean. Nice 42" plasma tv, I think 42". Rooms were cozy and since we were on the first floor we could walk right out to pool. The beach was nice. Many places to eat nearby and hotel provides dinner info for surrounding areas. The walls are kind of thin, so be prepared to get up at 8am. I prefer to sleep late when I have no agenda. Valet parking is $20.00. I recommend this hotel if you are searching for nice hotel and do not want to pay for 4 or 5 star prices.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank exotik
Reviewed 24 March 2009

This hotel was amazing - the appearance, the cleanliness, the rooms, the staff, the location - the list goes on. The staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to the next visit!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ejdennis
Reviewed 13 March 2009

This place was recommended by close friends. To summarize: great rooms and views;
exceptional guest room interiors; very helpful/pleasant staff.

Negatives: DON'T STAY HERE AT SPRING BREAK IF YOU CAME TO RELAX.
They charge $20/night to park which is gouging.

Overall: 9 out of 10

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gerronimo
Reviewed 12 March 2009

This was a very good hotel. The price was right (even though it was the off-season discount), everyone was friendly, room was clean, balcony led right out to the ocean, beach was nearby, lots of places to eat were very close, and there was very little about it that I think could have been improved. They even came up with a free glass of wine on my first night.

That said, there were a few things. The bathroom was just a little tacky and badly maintained (though clean and not bad enough to affect my enjoyment any), they charge $20 parking - which if you're paying full price would seem almost like an insult, but I paid half so it didn't bother me too much... there is no onsite restaurant. All of the extra charges (parking, etc) made me feel like I was being nickel and dimed, and if I'd had to pay full price it wouldn't have been worth it. They did have a "continental breakfast" one morning - which was a danish and an orange juice - and $9 for an omelet and some sausage. While I can understand them charging for the hot stuff, you can get a better continental breakfast at a place half the price.

Go on the off season and you'll have a great time for a decent price... go when it's full price and you'll probably feel a little cheated. Not because it's not a great stay - it is - it's just not worth $500 a night plus parking.

Oh, and watch out for the birds.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank duskglow
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I really like this boutique hotel and Pacific Beach especially. The rooms are nice. The staff is friendly and it's right on the beach. The hotel currently serves a complimentary continental breakfast with *interesting* one-piece-only rules that are given to guests by a very sincere employee. Instead of being offended that we were policed for our breakfast picks, I was actually sort of tickled! (I always have a piece of fruit and coffee, so it was no big deal.)

Another good thing about the location is that I never had to leave the area. Small shops, restaurants, the beach, the boardwalk -- all were right there. I never felt the need to visit the other attractions. The hotel met my need to veg out, hear waves, and never have to jump in a taxi during my stay.

Last thing: housekeeping can be pretty slow. If you are someone who needs your room cleaned daily and before noon, make sure to let them know beforehand.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo