“This hotel was better than the one on our honeymoon!”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 16 April 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Pacific Terrace Hotel in San Diego for two nights over our Spring Break. We had a wonderful experience! We stayed in a beautiful ocean front hotel for our honeymoon that we thought could not be beat. The Pacific Terrace Hotel has now taken the top spot for our favorite hotel! We would like to make a family tradition of it and come each year to the hotel. Next time we will take our two children.

It is family friendly and great for a quiet get a way for just a couple. We stayed in an ocean view Jr Suite with a king bed. It was very spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was soft and cozy (I am very pregnant, and it was the best night's rest I had had in a while!). The customer service was amazing. The hotel is very close to many attractions. Sea World and Old Town and the Gas Lamp district are very close. I am a very picky person when it comes to hotels. I am not easily impressed- The Pacific Terrace Hotel exceeded all of my high expectations. Thank you for my relaxing vacation! We will see you next year!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tallmom25
There are newer reviews for Pacific Terrace Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2009

I was on a buisness trip with a group from my work (30 of us each in our own room). Some of us got Jr Suites with nice views, I got a regular first floor room with a view of the ocean through the pool area. Which was blocked by the plants they have. They waived the parking fee for us in the garage because we stayed for 11 days. Granted I would have been reimbursed if they charged us anyways.

The staff was very accomodating. I wanted a microwave in my room, and they brought one up to me. However the way they plugged it in, I kept killing the power strip it was plugged into. Which didn't help at 4 am when I was getting up. (Jet lag from East Coast) The staff would always recommend a good place to eat for me. both nearby and further away. They gave me directions to both Target and Walmart (I forgot to pack a swim suit).

The TV was nice and big. Being able to listen to the ocean at night was a plus, expect on the weekends with kids who were there to party checked in, then I couldn't sleep well. The pool was very warm, which helped with the very cool breeze coming off the ocean.

Ok now the negatives.
I contacted the hotel before my trip to inquire about HSIA. They said it was wireless in the hotel, and there are no wired connections in the rooms. Ok fine, I took a wireless laptop with me. I decided not to bring DVD's with me (since I was traveling for such a long period of time), relying on my Netflix streaming account to watch movies online. BIG mistake!!! The conneciton signal in the room was a 3 bar, 4 if I was lucky. There are no Desk level electrical outlets, so you have to search for one for your computer. In this age of Internet access, I would expect a wireless signal of at least 4 to 5 anywhere in the hotel. Oh well.
I meant to ask for turn down service at a different time, because when I got back from work, I would turn my own bed down. But the little chocolates they provided are nice.
Thier breakfast was a JOKE. It was easier to make my own in my room (after I got the microwave). Of course we headed into work at 6am. so breakfast wasn't even being served yet. I didn't see any dinner offered, as other people have written.

I highly recommend this hotel for a little get away. Being on the beach is nice. I walked to dinner most nights, when I was eating close.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank silverjay57
Reviewed 14 April 2009

Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised with a good sized room and a terrific beach view. Katherine, the concierge, was very helpful to us in finding the best activities to do with our two girls ages 7 and 4. We never left the hotel without directions or discounted tickets to our activities courtesy of a great staff. On site breakfast in the mornings was also terrific. Overall, great experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank cincyoh04
Reviewed 14 April 2009

This is a really nice hotel in a great location. The front desk staff are awesome. We stayed one night and got the internet special of $115/ night for a partial ocean view. Otherwise, it is way more. It is definately worth this price, but not sure about 300-400 dollars. There are many places within walking distance. Overall, we loved it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank newtravelors
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We love most everything about this place but there are a few issues that bother me. The staff is great, the location can't be beat and the hotel has personality. We have stayed here two years in a row and a trend I have noticed, perhaps economy based, is that if they have vacancies you can walk in off the street and pay 1/3 of the regular price. I get it from a business point of view but I am paying $400 a night and the guy next to me is paying $150-200. Here's an idea. Lower all the prices a little bit and maybe that would book out more rooms for a longer period so the hotel would not have to lower themselves to a business practice straight out of ebay. In the past they offered a continental breakfast now they are trying to make the very little dining room more then it can be. I think they should shift back to continental and have a small fee that someone pays associated with their room if they desire. Stop the hot meals, it was painful to watch people cram into that space staff included. There are several restaurants within a short stroll that are decent.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank Hulasurf
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Our stay here was above and beyond our expectations. The staff treated our stay like we booked a 5 star hotel. They were friendly, helpful, accommodating, and polite. We did not want to checkout. The property is beachfront so even lounging at pool you see the sunset and ocean. Nice 42" plasma tv, I think 42". Rooms were cozy and since we were on the first floor we could walk right out to pool. The beach was nice. Many places to eat nearby and hotel provides dinner info for surrounding areas. The walls are kind of thin, so be prepared to get up at 8am. I prefer to sleep late when I have no agenda. Valet parking is $20.00. I recommend this hotel if you are searching for nice hotel and do not want to pay for 4 or 5 star prices.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank exotik
Reviewed 24 March 2009

This hotel was amazing - the appearance, the cleanliness, the rooms, the staff, the location - the list goes on. The staff went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to the next visit!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family