“Great for what I wanted”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #102 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
San Jose, California
“Great for what I wanted”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at this hotel. Every room (except maybe the bottom floor) has an ocean view. That in itself gets a star. As a hotel, it's a bit run down, but seriously, it's right on the beach. I don't want to feel bad about tracking sand in the room, and the lack of carpeting was a good thing. It included a fridge and a flat screen tv, so there are 2 more stars. The bed was ok, not super comfortable but we slept fine. Ear plugs were offered on the nightstand for those who cannot handle the "noise" of the waves, but we loved it, and with the sliding glass door closed, honestly, we couldn't hear it. Noisy family upstairs but they only bothered us one night of our 4 night stay. The last star goes to the employees. We were treated like friends upon arrival, and every day thereafter. Coffee/hot chocolate was available 24/7 in the lobby, and no coffee maker in the rooms. Although not a standard 4 star hotel, it's perfect for a casual trip with basic expectations. And, the view... I would recommend for sure!

Room Tip: ask for a 3rd or 4th floor room. better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank itsbean13
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear ItsBean13,
Thank you for the excellent review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing the staff. It is important to them that our guests feel welcome and the fact that you felt like the "staff treated you as friends," shows that they are doing a good job. Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to having you back.

Adam M. Della Rocca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Snowflake, Arizona
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The beds were very comfortable, and the rooms well furnished. However, although they had breakfast, the coffee and juice was gone (or machines broken) and the sausage biscuits were prepackaged and the size of a 50 cent piece. We went somewhere else. That still wouldn't have given them the 2 stars.

My 2 star rating is for their dishonesty. I left my phone charger plugged into the bedside lamp. When I went back for it a few hours later, it wasn't in their lost and found. I insisted on checking the room, so they called housekeeping who verified they had it on a cart. Twenty minutes later, still no charger. They wanted me to come back tomorrow, but I was headed home. So I asked them to mail it.

A few days later, I called to verify they had sent it. They claim they never found it. I reminded them that it had been put on a cart by housekeeping and they only reason it would be gone was if they had taken it. They asked me to call back in 10 minutes and, lo and behold, they found it. But they wanted my credit card information to mail it to me. I refused to give them the information because, under the circumstances, they should mail it to me -- and I don't trust them with that info now.

Beware the road construction is HORRIBLE!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Irene H
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Irene H,

I am sorry about your dissapointing experience but I believe your review was posted to the wrong hotel. We do not serve breakfast at our hotel nor do we have any roadside construction happening at our hotel. Although I can understand your frustration, please post this review to the correct hotel.

General Manager, Surfer Beach Hotel
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife and I needed relief from the Polar Vortex winter of 2013-14 and we found it at the Surfer Beach Hotel on Pacific Beach in San Diego.

We were welcome from the moment we called for our reservations and when we arrived at the front door. Aorusha made sure that we had a great room with a great view and could lull ourselves to sleep with the sound of the ocean only a stones throw from our balcony lanai. Every night was a unobstructed view of the sunset and every morning a walk on the beach was 20 steps away.

People watching was a breeze with the beach walk right outside the hotel and coffee and great dining was right on the property in Woody's and World Famous restaurant.

Our room was comfortable and isolated from any loud noise from the beach. The bed was firm and made up daily by an attentive housekeeping staff. The shower was cozy but adequate and the sink area was well lit and had good space for both of our needs. Could have used places in the lamp fixtures for plugging in phones etc but we had enough outlets after looking around a bit.

Location was fantastic and the hotel was cool in a retro beach scene sort of way. It felt just righting the room rate reflected the ease of access to the beach that ran for miles.

We appreciated the care given by the staff in suggesting transportation, printing boarding passes and making sure we had a great experience.

The place was not perfect with a slowest elevator and s less than neat area behind the coffee shop and no in room coffee maker but the location could not be beat. We loved the time we spent there and were sad to leave.

Room Tip: We had 415 which had a beach view and could see downtown and Mission Bay as well.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott V
Dear Scott V,

Thank you for your excellent review. I would say that the biggest pride we take in our hotel (even more than our amazing location) is the service offered by our staff. They work incredibly hard to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay. Thank you for recognizing Aorusha and the rest of the team's efforts to go out of their way to ensure you enliven your experience. Your review as shared (as all of our reviews are) with all of the staff and Aorusha was recognized in front of all for her excellent service.

Thanks and again and we look forward to your return trip from the deep freeze!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Surfer Beach Hotel one week in April and one week in September for five years. It's almost time. 4 weeks and we cannot wait! We have seen many improvements over the years and the staff is awesome ! See you soon !

• Stayed September 2013
Adam D, General Manager at Surfer Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear LPhillips12,
Thank you for the kind "anticipatory" review. We look forward to welcoming you for your return trip to the Surfer Beach Hotel. You are just one of thousands of people who call the Surfer Beach their second home and we are honored to have you as one of our esteemed repeat guests. We look forward to your visit next month!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This is a no frills hotel. A prime locale is all we needed. I lived in SD for 6yrs. I wanted to show my Fiance San Diego. Now personally the area is not my cup of tea. College-y douchey but for this trip I just wanted beach and a bed. We watched the sunset from our room and walked the boardwalk at night..throughtout the day I brought him to all sorts of other spots. The hotel is no 5star spa whatever you want to call those snob like hotels. it's a here is your clean room with an ocean view. Really the room is just to sleep in. So for the price and locale it was perfect. I would stay again..

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear kstarbop,

Thank you for your 4-star review of the hotel, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. Although Pacific Beach is a younger town in general, it tends to slide toward the college vibe every March as it is a top Spring Break destination. Thanks for staying with us and bringing your fiance to experience one of San Diego's few true beach front hotels.

Regards,

Washington, Utah
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location. We had what they called the family unit. Two queen beds and a pull out sofa. The beds were terrible. The sheets were full of holes. The pull out should not be even attempted to sleep on. The carpet was dirty. The view is obstructed by looking on top of a restaurant roof so you get to smell that all night long. Save your money go else where.

Room Tip: Go down a block to the ocean side inn.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Marsjames3
Dear MarsJames.
I apologize that you did not enjoy your stay. It seems that our standards were below par for your recent visit, and I can assure you this is unusual for us. We steam clean our carpets regularly and also intend to provide quality bedding for all of our guests, Unfortunately, you are correct about sofa sleepers, they are intended as convenience for guests, but by their very nature (as any houseguest can tell you) they are not the most comfortable sleeping option. We are replacing the mattresses on the sofa sleepers at this time and the mechanisms are changed out regularly as well.
I again am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. Please contact me personally at adam.dellarocca@trigildservices.com if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Nice place - very friendly, and helpful staff. A great location, a laid back and relaxed area. You can hire bikes close by near the pier - a friendly place as well. Lots of cafes close by as well. this is beach front heaven. No complaints - make this a compulsory place to stay if your in San Diego.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5 Star Review! We appreciate you taking the time to share with others your opinion. I am glad you enjoyed your stay.