“Can't ask for a better spot!”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #100 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 13 October 2008

This hotel is literally right on the beach, the views are amazing! We had a monster balcony as well with chairs and table already set up.

We had our six year old with us and he loved it, the staff were very friendly, and the pool was nice and warm:)

Our room was huge, two double beds and a pullout, also very clean. The room had a sink, microwave and bar fridge so we were able to cut back on dining out as well.

You can't ask for a better spot than this!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 October 2008

Stayed at Surfer Beach last week and it was really great - it's right on the beach and in a really busy part of San Diego. It was my first time in San Diego and Pacific Beach where the hotel is has lots to do. The hotel has external access to the room, with all the rooms facing towards the beach either front on or from the side, with balconies and the pool in the middle.

The room was clean and quite spacious, with TV and fridge, and the area was pretty quiet despite bars being a block away, since all the rooms face the beach.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Stayed for 2 nights with husband and children, and my parents stayed also in their own room. I made it clear in reservations that we were traveling together, but when I checked in they had us on 2 different floors and could not give us rooms closer together. The front desk lacked much customer service most of our stay.

The room looked recently remodeled and was fairly comfortable. The view of the beach was over the top of a dirty restaurant roof. The pool was empty and under construction, though arrangements were made for guests to use the pool at the Best Western next door.

We had our door open to the sound of the waves all night, and did not hear any noise (we were top floor on the end of the building) Though my parents who were 2 floors down and in a room more toward the center of the building (it's an L shape) had a sleepless night with partying guests until 3:30 am, and then when they finally quieted down (after a call to the front desk), the neighbors above them came home and stomped around above them until 5am.

Our first morning we had to take cold showers because there was no hot water. I called the front desk, they said they would tell maintenance, but they did not seem sympathetic at all. The next morning was fine.

Though this motel (called a Hotel) was clean and comfortable (in our King room) I would probably not stay here again. I like to actually sleep at night, and it seems from experience and other reviews that it is hit and miss at this motel. I am not willing to take the chance. I would rather drive to the beach if it means getting a good nights rest.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank J-ME-19
Reviewed 13 August 2008

Great location, average accommodations. I stayed there with my husband and my 2 kids (3 years old and 3 months old). Hotel was on the beach with direct access to the beach from the back stairways-this feature was AWESOME. Room was average. Clean but a bit run-down. The noise I've read in other reviews are true but it did not bother us. The noise was from a "street show" on the beach. From our room, we had the best view of that show! The microwave, fridge and sofa bed was a nice bonus. Ralph's Grocery Store and various eateries were just steps away. Because of the outside corridors, this place is more motel than hotel. Pacific Beach was a great destination. I would return and wouldn't mind staying at Surfer Beach Hotel but I would opt to try something else in the same vicinity.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2008

After leaving the Sheraton we called around to find a hotel and this one was recommended as a wonderful hotel. When we got in the room I about passed out. It was so small and the pull out bed wouldn't even pull out because it hit the bathroom wall. We had to move the bed sideways and it was like sleeping on wire. The handicap bath was almost as big as the room but the showerhead kept falling off and water was getting everywhere. We told the front desk who seemed less than interested. The next day the shower head fell off again and my son fell and hit his head. There is no airconditioning so it is very hot in the rooms at night and the beds are terribly uncomfortable. The only great thing about The Surfer is the beach is outside your door!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank xanthia11
Reviewed 29 June 2008

After we checked into the front desk and got our luggage to go up to the room. My husband heard the staff snicker about how much luggage we had for 2 days. Not that is was their business, but the luggage was for a 10 day trip. 2 of which would be at that hotel. Which was cut down to 1 day because it was such an awful hotel. I wondered how the maid and grounds keeper knew how long we were staying anyway! If you go to this hotel, DO NOT reserve a regular room! I didn't realize the difference between a regular room and the junior suite. There is a HUGE difference, the regular room is so small that my husband hurt his back because he had to twist through the front door to get our suitcases in the room. Here was NO ROOM for our 4 SMALL pieces of luggage. We were in room 203 on the second floor. A large sized person might not make it though the door into the room! They had two beds, which looked smaller than full's, crammed into a very small space. The mattresses were set into a square pressed board, make shift frame. Which ALL of us kept hitting our toes and knees on, we ended up having to put our luggage around the corners to keep from hitting our legs, but we still kept hitting our toes. You had to squeeze past the bed to get out on the patio, the screen door may as well have not even been there, it was broken and very hard to open and close. There were only 3 towels and 1 washcloth, I had to go down to get my own towels. If you ask for towels to the pool, you have to sign a card and personally return them to the office! It didn't matter, the pool was freezing! I will say though, it is a great location, right on the beach, if you are going to stay here get a larger room!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank lawsclan
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Just got back from a fun weekend at the Surfer Beach Hotel. The hotel itself is a bit old and dated, but the rooms were clean and comfortable at an affordable price. The location is the real gem here, as the hotel is situated right on Pacific Beach in the middle of lots of action. There are numerous restaurants, bars, shops, and cafe's within minutes (even seconds) of the hotel property. This hotel would be ideal for a girls or guys weekend away, as I noticed most of the guests were a younger crowd with intentions of partying and soaking up the surf and sand (lots of bachelor and bachelorette parties staying there - I think we encountered at least three or four during our stay). Overall it was a great place to stay if you are looking for a weekend of fun. If you are looking for something luxurious or relaxing, this would not be the choice for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends