“The Location is What You are Paying for!!!!!!!”
Review of Surfer Beach Hotel

Surfer Beach Hotel
Ranked #97 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
California
“The Location is What You are Paying for!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 6 October 2009

We have stayed here numerous times before. The Surfer sits across the the boardwalk from a huge, vast, breathtaking beach with miles of shoreline and that's what you're paying for!

I could find so many things in this hotel to gripe about, but that's not the reason we stay; it's the opportunity to hear the ocean roar at night, to watch the sunsets and just totally relax, it's a casual, beachy-feel hotel.

The management at this hotel always do their upmost time and time again to make our stay comfortable. And if the hotel is upgraded in the future, folk like us who enjoy the surroundings will be forced to pay the exorbitant prices comparable to the Blue Sea next door.

During our past stays, we've figured out the excellent rooms, and request them before arrival which helps to have a fabulous vacation. Book through the hotel because if you book through a discount hotel site, you'll get exactly that, a discounted hotel room, which is NOT located in the best parts of the hotel (learned that through personal experience.)

There are no microwaves or coffeemakers in the room, no free breakfasts, and you have to pay for parking $12 a day. They offer coffee and tea in the lobby. It's basically a no-frills hotel, but remember that you're "paying for the location."

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Memphis
Reviewed 29 September 2009

My wife and I recently stayed here based on the great price and found much more than just the fantastic location. We had a ground floor room and asked to be moved upstairs so that we could sit on the balcony. We were upgraded to a Jr suite for free and the room and view were fantastic. There is no air conditioner which is my biggest gripe but not a huge deal. The service was nice and World Famous next door has a great happy hour drink and food specials. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Two of my girlfriends and I recently stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel, for the second time. Both times, I have found the staff friendly, the location fantastic, and the room rate well worth it. You are literally steps from Pacific Beach (now a no-smoking, no-alcohol, no-pets beach). It's true that there is no A/C in the rooms, but we slept quite comfortably with the sliding glass door open, which allowed the ocean breeze to come through. Our room was clean, the beds and pillows were comfortable, and it was exactly the room I had requested when making my reservation. The only problem was fuzzy cable TV channels...but I'd rather watch the waves anyway.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Massachusettes
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Did I mention gross? We spent a month in Southern California traveling to beaches up and down the coast. This "motel" was by far the worst we stayed in. Black socks(from the dirty carpet), horrible customer service, tiny rooms with no A/C (they allow pets so the heat in room brings out the wonderful smell of wet dog). Not a family friendly place, lots of young kids drinking and being loud. The pool area is small and the pool was dirty. The beach is ok but not great either.The boardwalk is more of a freeway for bike riders that go to fast and expect you to jump out of their way. Lot's of dilapidated houses and questionable characters. (go to Huntington Beach instead) Worst 2 nights sleep of my life, even with a fan...it was too hot. Even my kids (4 & 6) complained. Oh, and the sink is a tiny old stainless steel thing that looks like it's from a rest stop bathroom. Stay across the St at the Catamaran Resort..you can walk over to Pacific Beach if you want to.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelalot33
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 31 July 2009

The room was hot and humid at night, making it hard to sleep. The noise level didn't help either. Little privacy. We caught the neighbors peeking into our room from the balcony while we slept. The beds were homemade with sharp corners that we kept banging into. Also, the screen to the bathroom window was missing, and was not fixed as promised. The stay was miserable!! We finally cut our loses and moved to a nice hotel, near Sea World, on Mission Bay. However, if your purpose in life is to surf and party, without the need for materialistic stuff like air conditioning, this may be the place for you... In my opinion, it should be torn down and replaced with a modern facility.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RocketJunkie
Lakeside CA
Reviewed 6 July 2009

OK, You are right ON the beach -- out your door, down the hotel steps, across the boardwalk and onto the sand!! Believe me, there aren't many hotels in San Diego that are like that!!
Let me try to explain the room locations, as some have commented about this. The hotel is L-shaped. Any room 2nd floor or above has an ocean view -- if your room is in the lower digits (e.g. 301, 405, 207 -- up to 09), you'll be looking straight out from your room/patio to the ocean.; in rooms ending in 11-15 you will find the ocean 90 degrees to your right from your patio. I think that there are one or two corner rooms with NO beach view at all - avoid them if possible.. The very low numbered rooms (esp. 01-02) DO look out over a restaurant roof (esp. the third floor), but those are really nice rooms, and you still have a great corner view of the beach, boardwalk, etc..!

The rooms themselves are very nice 3-star accommodations; fairly roomy, always clean, and with a small refrigerator. Our rooms had a nce flat screen TV (with working remote), and an excellent shower. The pool and bar-b-que areas are also nicely maintained.

Maybe the best part about The Surfer is that it's affordable; believe me, you won't find another hotel in S.D. that's rght on the beach (with a pool and ocean views) in this price range - and, as other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel's location is not only on the beach, but in an area with plenty of restaurant (and bar) options.

What I REALLY don't understand are those reviewers who have complained about the desk staff. To me they all seem friendly, fun, knowledgable, and eager to help -- and they all speak excllent English (I have no idea where the compaint about "non-English speaking staff" came from - unless he was referring to the maids.) When my car wouldn't start, one of the staff gave me a jump with his own car and jumper cables! If you can't get along with this staff, YOU have a problem!!

A few restaurant suggestions within easy walking distance:

World Famous -- ask for a table on the boardwalk window and enjoy geat people watching. Very reaonable prices for breakfast and lunch. Good bar as well.

The Eggery -- Excellent breakfast place, but no view at all!

Nick's at the Beach -- Nice neighborhood restaurant. Upstairs bar.

P.B. Brewery -- Brewery brew and brewery food. ever been, but I hear it's good.

Would I stay at the Surfer again - I do every summer and will continue to d so.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SJTCHT
wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2009

The beach access was the best part of this hotel. The internet pictures make this place look a lot better than they actually are. The world Famous restaurant was great. The rooms were very small and not user friendly. I did not have a hair dryer, or microwave like it was advertised. The TV was old and the remote did not work, the shower did not work well, it amounted toa slow little stream of water, the room was old and sink holes in the carpet. Poor lighting, I had problems using my room card it wouldn't open the door, so I needed to replace often. The staff was friendly, but for the most part did not speak any english, so when I need a hair dryer or soap, they did not understand, infact they would hide in another room when you tried to talk to them. They thought I was checking out a day earlier than I was and came into the room at least five times, when I asked them what was going on, they had a hard time explaining, and understanding that I was staying another night. You have to pay for parking, which I thought was higher then the rest of the parking places. The pool was cooler than I expected and always had ducks swimming in it, so I chose not to use. The view from the balcony was okay, I was on the third floor, I overlooked the roof top of the restaurant, and it wasn't pretty. Definitely ask for the 4th floor. The vents for the restaurant were directed at our room, so we constantly had the grill smoke and exhaust coming at us....at times it got overwhelming, especially early in the morning for the breakfast crowd. The ice vending machine was out of the way, and to use the door to this and the pool and the beach you had to use an access code, not the room key card, which I kept forgetting the number code. Not user friendly. The lamps would not go on unless you plugged them into the wall and go off only when unplugging from the wall. Also no hot tub, which was disappointing.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo