The Beach Cottages
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$111
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$194
  • Restaurant
Blue Sea Beach Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$204
US$321
US$242
US$179
  • Breakfast included
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$276
US$202
  • Restaurant
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$221
US$183
  • Beachfront
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$179
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$336
US$172
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
Omni San Diego Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$325
Hotelpower.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsping pongmain buildingpacific beachbedroom cottagewest winggrocery store across the streethotel portiongreat beach hotelocean viewair conditioningproperty offersopen the windowplace to stayprivate patioboogie boardsfull kitchenwell maintained and clean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My daughter (16) and two friends went to Comic-Con and wanted to spend the next day at the beach. I found The Beach Cottages and was worried they might not really be on the beach. When we arrived, I couldn't believe how close the Pacific Beach was to the hotel.

We stayed in the North Building, and Trip Advisor reviewers said it has no ocean view. We were on the third floor, and the ocean view was good! The North Building is across a small street from the main hotel where the actual cottages are located, and you have to lug your luggage up the stairs (no elevator). But you will have a small but complete kitchen, a large dining table, a pull-out-bed couch, two beds (not the softest, I might add--they were hard!) and a sliding glass door that lets the breeze come in, along with a ceiling fan to circulate the air. The furniture is functional and the room is dark, but once you get settled in, you'll be out at the beach or walking along the boardwalk--and the decor won't matter!

I walked to the Ralphs' a half-block away; it's a nice store, and I made all the meals in the kitchen. Other than not having a garbage disposal, the kitchen was quite adequate. It was a bit like playing house, since the stove and refrigerator were so small. The girls ate at the counter on stools and we were all very happy--they loved the boardwalk, I loved the sandy beach, and my only complaint was that we only stayed one night.

About the balcony--you do not have a private one--it extends in front of all the rooms on the floor. Each room has a small white plastic table/chairs to use in front of the unit.

Many Trip Advisor members commented on the rowdy crowds and noise--Pacific Beach no longer allows alcohol on the beach, and there are cops all around to enforce it. We went to sleep at 9:00 and didn't hear a thing after the lights were out!

I can't wait to go to the Beach Cottages again!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank hopeiam
Reviewed 22 May 2008

Stayed at the Beach Cottages for a long weekend with my sisters. The 3 days we were there the weather was really hot!! So that made the stay even better. The hotel is clean the people at the front desk were very nice. plenty of resturants, bars, and stores around the area. Next time we go to San Diego will take the kids they would have a blast there!!! Would like to rent one of the little cottages next time. We all enjoyed are stay so will you!!

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 30 April 2008

Just got back from a 4-day stay at the Beach Cottages. We stayed in the two bedroom apartment which include a kitchen (my husband and I have 4 teenagers). The rooms were clean, staff was helpful (though we had few needs), and the proximity to the beach made for a perfect location. There price is right - there aren't a lot of "extras" like a pool, beach chairs, or beach towels, but there are stores all over within walking distance where you can buy whatever you need to compliment your stay. There are restuarants within walking distance as well (not to mention a super market for those of you who take advantage of the kitchen) and plenty of other things to do just a short drive away. I highly recommend this place if you are looking to stay on the beach and are on a budget - kids or no kids.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DonnaSueShaw
Reviewed 23 March 2008

Can not be beat for its location (right on the beach), rates are very reasonable, clean, and attentiive staff. Have stayed here twice in the last 3 years and will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aldoreit
Reviewed 13 March 2008

The view of the Pacific Ocean when you walk out your front door is the best thing about The Beach Cottages. I had a room on the third floor of the main building and was very pleased with my stay. The room was not large but the bed was comfortable and the housekeeper did a good job of cleaning and was very nice about checking to see if it was convenient for her to clean. It was very quiet in my room but I would be concerned about the north building as it overlooks some bars and noise might be a problem.

There was a "kitchen area" with a refrigerator, micowave, coffee pot and sink and then a separate room with shower and toliet. It is an older property but everything was clean and well maintained. There was no air conditioning which was fine while I was there but might be a concern during warmer weather. You can open the window across the front (with screen) but you can't leave it open when you are not there or possibly at night as anyone could walk in.

The front desk people were friendly and helpful and there are lots of eating places in easy walking distance. You have to try Kono's at the end of Garnet at the pier for breakfast (huge portions). I'll definitely be back to The Beach Cottages!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo