The Westin San Diego
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
The Sofia Hotel(San Diego)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Room Service
1,121 results
All reviewsspg membergaslamp districtheavenly bedwalking distancestarbucks coffeebusiness hotelhorton plazauss midwaylobby barfront desk agentairport shuttlegas lampconvention centerbusiness tripvalet parkinghigher floorrental car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently traveled to San Diego for vacation, our first time to the city. The Westin Downtown location was an excellent hotel. The location was very good, as we were within walking distance to most everything we did on our stay. The staff was helpful and pleasant and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I would definitely stay at this location again. The beds at Westin properties are always comfortable, this was no different but a pleasant surprise were the pillows. You never know how the pillows will sleep, but these were great as well! I realize that may seem unimportant to some, but it is to me. Overall, I was very satisfied with our stay! Thank you to the team at Westin San Diego Downtown!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila E
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Sheila E-I am thrilled you joined us for your very first visit to San Diego; how exciting! I am happy to hear it was a great trip, helped by our convenient downtown location and friendly staff. Our Westin Heavenly beds are a brand signature but you’re right-the pillows are definitely important too! From everyone here at the Westin San Diego, we can’t wait to welcome you back on your next stay!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin San Diego for three nights in late December 2013.

As part of a ten day trip to California, San Diego was a must-visit on our itinerary. I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest member, and also a holder of the Starwood Card by American Express, so I chose hotels entirely from Starwood. As I'm partial to the Westin brand, I selected the Westin San Diego for my stay.

Arriving late in the evening on Christmas Eve, we took advantage of the hotel's free airport shuttle service. I cannot tell you how amazing it is that the hotel offered a free pick-up from the airport, because it saved us a great deal of time and was incredibly convenient. Ironically, we got into the shuttle van with pretty much every airline crew that flew into San Diego that evening, including our own flight attendants. Within a few minutes, we were at the hotel.

The property was undergoing renovations to the lobby during our stay, so we entered through the side of the hotel and checked-in at a temporary front desk. Within a few moments, we were on our way upstairs.

Here's we had our one and only snafu of the trip. My reservation was for a "Deluxe Bay View Room." When I had reserved it with the Starwood folks on the phone, I had been assured that we would have an excellent view of the water. Well, we did, but we mostly saw the parking garage across the street. I think we were on the fifth floor? I had an excellent view of an ocean blue Hyundai, but not a great angle of the blue water. We left the room and went back downstairs and complained.

It's important to note that the front desk folks tried to argue with me, telling me that I had been placed into a Bay View room. I beg to differ; if you're going to charge me for a certain type of room, I expect that room to deliver on what is advertised. A Parking Garage is not the Bay. But it was Christmas Eve, and within a few moments, we were re-accommodated into a new room on the 18th floor.

The rooms at the Westin San Diego are generously-sized, and very comfortable. The best thing going is that Heavenly Bed, which I'm convinced is the greatest sleep experience on the planet. If humans ever decide to attempt hibernation, it'll be done using Westin's Heavenly Bed.

The bathroom is gigantic, and there were ample amenities and plenty of space to move around and get ready.

The very best thing about this property, however, is the location. The Westin San Diego is in the center of pretty much everything. We were a short walk away from the waterfront and Seaport Village. The trolley stop is maybe a block away? We walked to dinner easily in the Gaslamp District, and we only took a cab to the San Diego Zoo. When it came time to leave, we were able to walk to the Amtrak station in under five minutes.

I'd recommend the Westin San Diego to anyone looking for a comfortable, quality hotel experience in San Diego. The location cannot be beat and it's a great Starwood experience. Don't be afraid to speak up if something is amiss, though, because as I experienced it, the staff quickly made things right. All in all, it was an excellent stay.

Room Tip: High floors have great views no matter what direction!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve R

Steve R-I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the San Diego leg of your trip with us here at the Westin San Diego! We love welcoming our loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. I am thrilled you enjoyed our complimentary airport shuttle and brand new rooms, especially our signature Westin Heavenly beds. Our location cannot be beat and I am happy to hear you enjoyed the ease of access to nearby transportation, dining and nightlife in downtown. It is disappointing you did not enjoy your first room but I am happy the staff made it right and placed you onto one of our highest floors. The views of the bay are not to be missed. From all of us, we can’t wait to welcome you back on your next stay in America’s finest city!

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My family and I have been coming to this Westin for the past 4 years and have built relationships with several Melissa (bartender), Becca (Front desk) , Darko the Bellman and Ilya the Valet. All 4 amazing associates. I work in Hospitility as a Property Manager at a resort in Scottsdale AZ. If I could steal them all from you I would. Cannot say enough about these folks this is why we continue to keep coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade Bayview
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin H
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Kevin H-from everyone here at the Westin San Diego, thank you! I am thrilled you and your family have returned to us year after year. The kind of personal service and genuine relationships you have built with Melissa, Becca, Darko and Ilya are exactly what we strive to foster with our guests. I can’t wait to welcome you back on your next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband & I spent a night at the Westin San Diego and had a supurb time. The location is fabulous, right on the bay, with beautiful views no matter where you were. Seaport Village is just a short walk away with lots of fun shops, restaurants & bar choices. The staff was super-frienly & extremely helpful to all our needs. We will definately stay here again when in San Diego!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Clara G,

Our location is also one of the most favorable aspects of this hotel - we are nestled in between a few ideal neighborhoods allowing you easy access to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, the Harbor and Seaport Village. We are also just minutes from Balboa Park and the world famous San Diego Zoo! I am pleased to hear that our staff was there for all your needs. I look forward to seeing you in San Diego again soon.

Remain Well,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Donald was amazing! I was traveling alone and didn't really know the area and he greeted me very warmly and gave me some wonderful suggestions on places to visit/eat within walking distance of the hotel. He suggested Puesto in The Headquarters and it was delicious! He was so attentive and personable it really took my experience in San Diego to the next level. The hotel is perfectly located because they are literally in the center of everything. I took a taxi to the Balboa Theater for a show and decided to walk back to the hotel afterward and felt completely safe while walking the 3/4 blocks or so back to the hotel. Plus the fitness room was very clean with practically new equipment. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone because Donald will make sure you have a fantastic stay!

Ebony C.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Ebony C-I am thrilled to hear about your ‘fantastic’ stay with us! I will be sure to share this feedback with the entire team, especially Donald. We love sharing our recommendations of the local area to help you enjoy the best possible stay. San Diego is such a walkable city, and our downtown location makes it easy to get wherever you want to go. I am also happy to hear you appreciated our Westin WORKOUT Fitness Studio with all new machines. I look forward to welcoming you back on your return to San Diego!