“Not quite good enough”

Ranked #61 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“Not quite good enough”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Westin while attending a conference that was held at the hotel. At >$300/night my expectations were somewhat higher than for a cheaper hotel. The Westin delivered standard hotel amenities and several irritations all of which added up to nothing better than an average experience.

It started with the shuttle from the airport. i called on arrival and was told it would take around 10-15 minutes for the shuttle to get back to the airport. After more than 30 minutes I called again to be told that at least 2 shuttles had been to the airport since my first call which was just not true. My guess is that they had filled up at the 1st terminal and had not bothered calling at he 2nd. It was 40 minutes from my first call until the arrival of a shuttle at the terminal where I was waiting.

My room and the public spaces were pretty standard for a hotel in this class. All was as would be expected except for a trendy but impractical shower arrangement. A mixture of a raindrop shower and another head positioned so that the water flew straight out exactly at face height without any way to alter the direction of the spray. I would have been happier with a bucket and ladle. That aside the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

The desk had no convenient power outlet. The nearest one seemed to be by the side of the bed about 10 ft away. The wifi tariff can only be described as extortionate. For a hotel costing that much a night there is no excuse for adding that sort of extra charge particularly at an outrageous rate.

The hotel has a very spacious gym but fairly sparse equipment. There are a few treadmills and elliptical machines but only one (recumbent) bike. The equipment is in good repair and modern.

The restaurant is okay but not really good. There is a breakfast buffet with a reasonable selection but the eggs are cooked with a type of oil that makes them taste nasty. I asked for an omelet cooked with butter which seemed to cause some confusion initially but to give them their due it ended up looking and tasting very good. Now if they can just ditch that oil completely....

Finally, a little kudos where it is due. I lost a special pen with sentimental value in one of the meeting rooms and after reporting it to the receptionist at check out someone from hotel security called and left a message on my cell phone saying that they had received a report of the loss and would let me know if it was found. It hasn't turned up but I appreciated the call very much.

It isn't likely that I will stay at the Westin again. It was much too expensive for an average hotel and that wifi charge was the final straw.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Jane E-I am glad you joined us for your business conference. While we are happy to offer complimentary airport shuttle service, I apologize that you waited longer than the quoted time. We offer the Westin Heavenly Shower II, a brand signature. I am sorry if the configuration was confusing as it is certainly able to be modified for guest preference. Also, all our desks offer power outlets on their front; it appears you may have missed this and contributed to your frustration. Wireless access is complimentary in our lobby although there is a charge in guestrooms for premium connection speed. Our restaurant Coast offers a variety of tasty dishes. I am happy to hear our staff accommodated your request for special preparation of an omelet and that you enjoyed the taste. Lastly, I am glad to hear our staff touched your heart when they followed up on your lost pen. I certainly understand the importance of sentimental items. We do hope you keep us and Starwood’s many brands in mind upon your return to San Diego.
Alyssa Turowski

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Mariposa
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

From bellmen to front desk, to housekeeping, to concierge, to servers, to service express, everyone deserves
HUGE applause!!! Kevin, Juan, Korena, Amanda, Rebecca, Morgan, Megan, Nicholas, Lorenzo and Andrew, thanks for a relaxing four-day stay!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank LeeAnnAllen
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
LeeAnnAllen -from the entire team here at the Westin San Diego, thank you for this incredible feedback. Our staff is our greatest asset and we pride ourselves on warm and efficient service. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team. We can’t wait to welcome you back on your next visit to San Diego!
Mariposa, California
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Having breakfast at the Westin we were seated by Juan. During and after the meal Juan was very attentive and personable. We appreciated the conversation and his ability to make us feel at home. The meal was excellent also!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank RetiredSheriffJim
RetiredSheriffJim -from the entire team here at the Westin San Diego, especially Juan, thank you for sharing your experience. We are lucky to have Juan on our team. I will share this feedback with the restaurant as they will be thrilled to read it. We can’t to welcome you back on your next stay in San Diego!
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is for an extra shout out to Annie the bartender for saving my business trip. I was in town for a court appearance and had forgotten to pack a tie. I got in late and had to be in court too early to shop in the morning. While at dinner at the Westin's bar, and before I could finish my tale of woe, Annie took off her own tie from her neck and gave to me! She asked for, and expected, nothing in return. Besides that, she was a great bartender/waitress for my very good late night dinner at the bar.
The hotel is very good and in an ideal location for business trips to San Diego. I can recommend the Westin without reservation.

2 Thank Paul F
Paul F - On behalf of everyone at the Westin San Diego, especially Annie, thank you for taking the time to write this review! We pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and clearly Annie did all she could do to ensure you had a successful meeting. I will share this story with the entire hotel as an example of true five star service. We look forward to welcoming you back to America’s Finest City soon.
cleveland,ohio
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I love most Westin hotels and this is one of my favorites. It's clean and the rooms are spacious. Everything I need (food and shopping) are close by.
Not far from the water or the airport. The hotel van is always on time to pick me up and the staff is very friendly.
There is a mini frig in the room and a 60inch tv.
The pool is very small but it's usually not too many people there at one time.
And of course the shower is my favorite!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Tayshan1-it is so amazing to hear that we at the Westin San Diego are your favorite of the brand! I can’t think of a higher compliment. Our guests consistently enjoy our convenient location close to the airport especially paired with our complimentary shuttle service. I’m glad you enjoy our amenities as well, such as brand-new 60 inch TV, mini-fridges and Westin Heavenly Shower II (a signature of the brand). We are excited to be one of the only downtown hotels that offer a pool. We can’t wait for your next stay with us!
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights on business. Everything about the hotel was terrific, from the friendly and professional greeting at the front desk, to the quiet and comfortable room, to the lobby space near the Aroma coffee bar where it was easy to get a quick bite plus coffee in the morning and get connected to the Internet at a convenient work space. The location makes it is easy to walk to downtown sights and also easy to access the airport and highways by car.

1 Thank Helen P
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Helen P-I am glad to hear you had such an enjoyable stay during your recent business trip with us! A seamless and welcoming arrival, comfortable room and amenities such as complimentary wireless access in the lobby and our coffee bar Aroma help us provide a pleasant experience for all our guests. Having many of downtown San Diego’s attractions such as shopping, restaurants and nightlife just steps outside the door is a huge convenience as well. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was looking for a hotel in San Diego and decided to try the Westin because of its location. I was not sure what to expect. I was delighted. The staff is wonderful - professional without an air of stuffiness, happy, and interested in your every need. i can't say enough good things - from the bellman to the maid. Rooms were modern, clean, and most importantly, quiet. I slept very well which is a big deal for me. The heart of the Gaslamp District is only a couple of blocks away - a safe walk. We couldn't have been happier with our accomodations and will definately return. The hotel bar had great staff, a wonderful drink menu, and one of the best bar pizza we have had. If you are looking for a great place in the heart of San Diego, this is it. The only negative I could see is that the 10th floor carpet has a couple of unsightly stains that represent the hotel poorly. This is not the case for the rooms, which are modern and very clean.

Room Tip: We requested and were given a quiet location