“OK experience”

The Westin San Diego
Ranked #63 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The location is nice. However, for a 4 star hotel, my experience here is only mediocre. The water bottle's seal was broken. Safe deposit box wasn't working properly. Housekeeper forgot to leave shampoo for us in one of the three days that we stayed. Bed is soft. Lots of noise at night despite that we stayed at 24th floor. Elevator is slow. Extra 40 dollars to park is pricey.

Room Tip: Staying at 23th floor or below will save you time when waiting for elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PrajnaSun
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

PrajnaSun-I am glad you enjoyed our location. We strive to provide every guest a flawless stay and clearly we fell short during your time with us. Parking is at a premium downtown and we happily offer valet service for our guests priced at the lower end of the area. I hope you return to San Diego and stay with us again soon.
Alyssa Turowski

Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Westin's biggest asset is its location . It is a walking distance to many downtown and gas lamp quarter attractions . However , the rooms were below what I would consider appropriate for a star hotel. Rooms are relatively small , average in appearance , very very noisy and the bed was uncomfortable . I must say that we were on the 4th floor and I could hear music all night long from the hotel and also could hear the street noise . I do not know if that is the case with higher floors. Worse of all was the sound of the air conditioning that was loud and had a hissing/ ticking sound . The bed was uncomfortable and would not meet a 4 star hotel standard . You have to pay 40 dollars for
Parking fee which is an additional cost. On a positive note , the staff were very helpful and willing to go the extra mile to make you feel comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Sam k
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Sam k-I am thrilled you enjoyed our premier location, convenient to the infamous Gaslamp Quarter and all the amenities of downtown San Diego. I am sorry to hear your comments regarding the room size and noise. We are on the large size for accommodations in downtown hotels. Although street noise is unavoidable being in the city, we aim to provide a restful night’s stay for all our guests. I am shocked to hear your comment on the comfort of the bed as we offer Westin Heavenly beds in all our rooms, a signature of the brand and practically guaranteed to provide a peaceful sleep. Parking is an unavoidable charge being in the city and we are happy to offer valet parking service as a convenience for our guests. I am glad hear our staff were not only helpful but went above and beyond during your stay. We hope to welcome you back on your next stay soon!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed just one night, while visiting friends in town. Room was very nice, comfortable sheets, Starbucks coffee in room. Flat screen TV, nice towels in bathroom. View was great. Look at the water and Petco Park. Conceirge was very helpful. They allowed us early check in too.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Cakesbyroman-I am thrilled you enjoyed such a wonderful stay with us! We hold ourselves to the highest possible levels of cleanliness and service, from the guestrooms and amenities offered to services rendered by the staff. We hope to welcome you back to San Diego soon!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Westin while attending a conference that was held at the hotel. At >$300/night my expectations were somewhat higher than for a cheaper hotel. The Westin delivered standard hotel amenities and several irritations all of which added up to nothing better than an average experience.

It started with the shuttle from the airport. i called on arrival and was told it would take around 10-15 minutes for the shuttle to get back to the airport. After more than 30 minutes I called again to be told that at least 2 shuttles had been to the airport since my first call which was just not true. My guess is that they had filled up at the 1st terminal and had not bothered calling at he 2nd. It was 40 minutes from my first call until the arrival of a shuttle at the terminal where I was waiting.

My room and the public spaces were pretty standard for a hotel in this class. All was as would be expected except for a trendy but impractical shower arrangement. A mixture of a raindrop shower and another head positioned so that the water flew straight out exactly at face height without any way to alter the direction of the spray. I would have been happier with a bucket and ladle. That aside the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet.

The desk had no convenient power outlet. The nearest one seemed to be by the side of the bed about 10 ft away. The wifi tariff can only be described as extortionate. For a hotel costing that much a night there is no excuse for adding that sort of extra charge particularly at an outrageous rate.

The hotel has a very spacious gym but fairly sparse equipment. There are a few treadmills and elliptical machines but only one (recumbent) bike. The equipment is in good repair and modern.

The restaurant is okay but not really good. There is a breakfast buffet with a reasonable selection but the eggs are cooked with a type of oil that makes them taste nasty. I asked for an omelet cooked with butter which seemed to cause some confusion initially but to give them their due it ended up looking and tasting very good. Now if they can just ditch that oil completely....

Finally, a little kudos where it is due. I lost a special pen with sentimental value in one of the meeting rooms and after reporting it to the receptionist at check out someone from hotel security called and left a message on my cell phone saying that they had received a report of the loss and would let me know if it was found. It hasn't turned up but I appreciated the call very much.

It isn't likely that I will stay at the Westin again. It was much too expensive for an average hotel and that wifi charge was the final straw.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Jane E-I am glad you joined us for your business conference. While we are happy to offer complimentary airport shuttle service, I apologize that you waited longer than the quoted time. We offer the Westin Heavenly Shower II, a brand signature. I am sorry if the configuration was confusing as it is certainly able to be modified for guest preference. Also, all our desks offer power outlets on their front; it appears you may have missed this and contributed to your frustration. Wireless access is complimentary in our lobby although there is a charge in guestrooms for premium connection speed. Our restaurant Coast offers a variety of tasty dishes. I am happy to hear our staff accommodated your request for special preparation of an omelet and that you enjoyed the taste. Lastly, I am glad to hear our staff touched your heart when they followed up on your lost pen. I certainly understand the importance of sentimental items. We do hope you keep us and Starwood’s many brands in mind upon your return to San Diego.

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

From bellmen to front desk, to housekeeping, to concierge, to servers, to service express, everyone deserves
HUGE applause!!! Kevin, Juan, Korena, Amanda, Rebecca, Morgan, Megan, Nicholas, Lorenzo and Andrew, thanks for a relaxing four-day stay!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank LeeAnnAllen
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

LeeAnnAllen -from the entire team here at the Westin San Diego, thank you for this incredible feedback. Our staff is our greatest asset and we pride ourselves on warm and efficient service. I will be sure to share your feedback with the team. We can’t wait to welcome you back on your next visit to San Diego!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Having breakfast at the Westin we were seated by Juan. During and after the meal Juan was very attentive and personable. We appreciated the conversation and his ability to make us feel at home. The meal was excellent also!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RetiredSheriffJim

RetiredSheriffJim -from the entire team here at the Westin San Diego, especially Juan, thank you for sharing your experience. We are lucky to have Juan on our team. I will share this feedback with the restaurant as they will be thrilled to read it. We can’t to welcome you back on your next stay in San Diego!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is for an extra shout out to Annie the bartender for saving my business trip. I was in town for a court appearance and had forgotten to pack a tie. I got in late and had to be in court too early to shop in the morning. While at dinner at the Westin's bar, and before I could finish my tale of woe, Annie took off her own tie from her neck and gave to me! She asked for, and expected, nothing in return. Besides that, she was a great bartender/waitress for my very good late night dinner at the bar.
The hotel is very good and in an ideal location for business trips to San Diego. I can recommend the Westin without reservation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul F

Paul F - On behalf of everyone at the Westin San Diego, especially Annie, thank you for taking the time to write this review! We pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and clearly Annie did all she could do to ensure you had a successful meeting. I will share this story with the entire hotel as an example of true five star service. We look forward to welcoming you back to America’s Finest City soon.