“Nice hotel in a convenient location.”

The Westin San Diego
Ranked #63 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed at the Westin San Diego many times. Overall it is a great hotel and the personnel are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty quiet but the hotel is on Broadway a busy main street so there is some street noise. The rooms come in many sizes and shapes as the hotel building has many angles. Bay View rooms are definitely worth the upgrade. The hotel has a take-out coffee area with Starbuck's coffee which is very convenient and nice for an easy breakfast. The woman who works at the coffee stand is extremely helpful and friendly. You can walk to the waterfront or the Gaslamp district easily from this hotel. We also walked to Petco Park for a baseball game.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay View room. Upper floors are the quietest and avoid the ice machine as it in an alcove...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Barbie726,

I am happy to hear that you continually enjoy our Westin properties! We are a great choice for attending games and events at Petco Park, visiting the Gaslamp and the surrounding areas. We are tucked a few blocks away from the busy Gaslamp Quarter but closer to the harbor and Little Italy. Our guest rooms hold breathtaking views over the city and the waterfront. Our concierge desk can help you plan your trip around the city and even offers discounted tickets right here in the hotel! Thank you for your review and I hope to see you back in San Diego soon.

Kind Regards,
Alyssa Turowski

Write a ReviewReviews (1,049)

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very nice hotel! The employees are pleasant and seem to really want to make you comfortable. The room was nice, neat, quiet, and comfortable. And the location was very nice. I ordered room service one night and the food was also good:)

Only things I would change is to include Wifi in the cost of the room. I used my hotspot so I avoided the fee (don't remember what it was) It's a nice hotel so I assumed the Wifi was included. They offer free Wifi in the lobby but you don't always want to go down to the lobby if you needed to get online. Also, the shower temp was not as hot as i like.

Regardless, it was still nice and I would stay here again! I really appreciate friendly staff who really seem to want to make you comfy.

Also there was a lady working in the little coffee shop by the bar who made an effort to give me breakfast even though she was not open yet. I had to leave very early and when I stopped by to purchase something she accommodated me. Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jessica T
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Jessica T,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Westin San Diego. Here at Westin our goal is to make you feel like you're home. Our welcoming and friendly staff is there to make sure you have everything you need for your stay. From our Westin Heavenly Beds, to our restaurant and In Room Dining with SuperFood options, we have everything you need for your visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin San Diego.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We live in San Diego and staycation downtown often. Our usual hotel was booked, so we chose the Westin for my boyfriend's birthday. Morgan checked us in, graciously welcomed us, wished my boyfriend a happy birthday AND sent a birthday snack plate with a handwritten birthday note to our room. So thoughtful! Our room was great-we loved the views, the uber-comfy Westin bed and typical of the Westin was very clean and spacious. The location was perfect, just a short walk to the train/trolley, the Old Police Headquarters (shopping & dining), Seaport Village and the water. We loved this property and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Brendaleighna

Brendaleighna,

I hope that we become your new go to hotel for you San Diego staycations. Our signature Westin Heavenly beds guarantee a great night’s sleep and our location makes it easy to get around all of downtown. Thank you for recognizing Morgan at the front desk. We always appreciate feedback for our associates and I will be sure to share it with the staff. We know that our service is what separates us from the rest and I am delighted to hear we could exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We spent one night at the Westin San Diego, and will never stay there again. We requested a rollaway in our Bay View king room, which was placed upright in the middle of our room. It was up to us to move furniture, etc. to make it fit. Given the incredibly small size of the room (along the lines of an hotel room in Manhattan,) this involved us putting chairs and tables up on the window ledge and jamming the bed in between a chair, the desk and the 45 degree wall. We hoped that housekeeping would adjust it when they came in for turndown service, but they never came by.

On a very strange note, our room was really damp. Everything felt very wet and humid. It was really weird. When we inquired about getting the shuttle to the airport for a very early flight, we were told that flight crew would have priority so we would be better off getting a cab. While it was good to know this in advance (and we used Uber, which was perfect,) it was a bit disconcerting that their customer service was unable to accommodate their own guests.

We stay at Westins a couple of times a year and are always really pleased with the rooms, service, etc. so this was a huge disappointment. We would never stay here again, nor would we recommend it to anyone. We should have gone to the Sheraton Harbor Island, where we had stayed before.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Sals18 – Thank you for being loyal to the Westin brand. I was disappointed to read about your recent experience. We offer turndown for all guest based on request and would have been happy to take care of your rollaway. We also offer complimentary airport transportation based on space availability as seats can fill up quickly. We take advance reservations for all of our guests including flight crews. I hope you keep us and Starwood’s many brands in mind upon your return to San Diego.
Be well,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here 8/15/14 and they were able to get me an early check-in which was before 12pm to which i am very appreciative. The room was comfy for a single person. Big comfortable bed. They have those rain shower fixture + a hand held shower in the bathroom. The place is very close to the gas lamp area and to the train station which is what I took to San Diego. The front desk people are very pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RCAlvarez

RCAlvarez,

All of our guest rooms hold the Westin Signature Heavenly Bed and Drench showerhead. We guarantee a superior slumber on our Westin Heavenly Bed. A Classic white bed with 5 standard pillows and sheets, you can relax with ease. Our Drench rain shower and signature white tea and aloe bath products create a spa like essence to further renew your senses. You can take them all home with you from our Westin at Home online store! Thank you for your review and I hope you visit again soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel based on recommendations on tripadvisor and because we had stayed at the Seattle Westin previously and enjoyed it.
This property was disappointing to say the least. Yes, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating and were kind enough to refund me for the second pre-paid night after we called booking.com and expressed how unhappy we were with the hotel but even this gesture is not enough for a good review.
The property is very isolated in the middle of a desolated downtown that feels more like a ghost town. The hotel is several blocks away from the water front in one direction and the Gas Lamp district in the other. I am a walker but don't really enjoy walking in this neighborhood where there is nothing to see but empty streets and unfortunately a large homeless population.
As far as the hotel itself. The first room we were given was small and cramped, we were moved to a larger room but the whole decor feels very institutional , I have stayed at hotels at half the price that felt cozier. The amenities are scarce and not impressive, the internet charges in the room are outrageous, the $40 a night "valet only" no other option parking is out of line and to top it all the "heavenly shower" was at best lukewarm and the water never achieved a comfortable temperature. Maybe this location is perfect for business people but for a relaxing vacation go elsewhere.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Claucat
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Claucat – I was happy to read that our staff was accommodating and friendly during your stay. We pride ourselves on our friendly service and I will be sure to share this feedback with everyone. I was disappointed to read about your experience with our location. We usually receive great feedback about our convenient location in downtown San Diego. Parking is scarce downtown and we happily offer valet service for our guest’s convenience priced comparably for the area. We hope you think of us and Starwood’s many brands on your next return.
Be well,

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at westin and than the Hilton Anaheim westin was so much quieter presidential suite was great stayed for 2 nights 3 days on 3rd morning called housekeeping for more coffee it came up almost Immediatly happy hour was great paided only 408$ per night for 2 couches 2 kings grand piano living room full kitchen got the whole floor 25 to ourselves 3 70' tv's the staff was great especially the concierge nice location one block from little Italy airport transportation was great nice leather seats very happy with my stay

Stayed: August 2014

Mattyboy337,

Thank you for being loyal to Westin. Our presidential suite holds breathtaking 180 degree views of the harbor and the city. A double master with a living area featuring a grand piano, the Presidential suite guarantees a spectacular stay in San Diego. Our location is central to the Gaslamp, the harbor and Little Italy. We are walking distance to great shops and dining. You can even get discounts to the local museums and attractions right at our concierge desk. I hope you can join us in San Diego again soon!