“Great option!!!”

The Westin San Diego
Ranked #63 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 19 August 2014

i travelled with a 6 year old and the pool was great for her, the location of the hotel is wonderful! right in downtown, walking distance from malls, restaurants, the beach and it has very easy access. it was a great option. the bed was very comfortable, we had breakfast there and it was all good. the staff was very nice and made a special milk shake for my daughter, i would definetly stay there again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Cindy N,

We are excited to announce that we just got our new pool furniture yesterday! As one of the few hotels in the area that offer an outdoor pool, we now enhanced our outdoor area with brand new furniture and lounge areas! Located on the third floor, you can enjoy views of the city as you refresh in the cool waters. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I invite you and your family to come and visit us again soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Every time I visit San Diego, I aim to stay at this Westin. I like the location because even though it's in Gaslamp, it's almost on the edge of it, which makes the hotel a bit quieter. The hotel is convenient to be able to get to the main bars/restaurants in Gaslamp, but a bit of a hike to walk to the southern part of the area.

The rooms are comfortable and quiet. The front desk is helpful and efficient in checking guests in/out. Unfortunately, I've had very little experience with the hotel amenities so perhaps other reviewers can add more to that topic.

Room Tip: Aim to get a room on a higher floor, if possible.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

La_fl_drew,

It is great to hear that we are your main choice for staying in San Diego! Our location is a quieter alternative than staying in the heart of Gaslamp and only a few minutes walking distance away. Our welcoming and friendly staff is always there to make sure we exceed your expectations. Thank you for your review and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My stay at the hotel was pleasant. I was disappointed to know that only in lobby did I get free internet, why do we have to charge in our days still surprises me. Room was small, however, very comfortable. Had the chance to have breakfast there a few mornings and the choices on the buffet were a little limited. It was nice to be greeted by the hotel GM one morning. The beauty of this hotel is that it was close to everything and all walkable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Lise_Messier,

Our location makes us the perfect choice for staying in downtown San Diego. Our complimentary airport shuttle allows for a seamless arrival and we are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, the harbor and the convention center. It is easy to get to great shops and dining from our location. We even have discounted tickets to some of our local attractions conveniently from our concierge stand!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have stayed at the Westin San Diego many times. Overall it is a great hotel and the personnel are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are pretty quiet but the hotel is on Broadway a busy main street so there is some street noise. The rooms come in many sizes and shapes as the hotel building has many angles. Bay View rooms are definitely worth the upgrade. The hotel has a take-out coffee area with Starbuck's coffee which is very convenient and nice for an easy breakfast. The woman who works at the coffee stand is extremely helpful and friendly. You can walk to the waterfront or the Gaslamp district easily from this hotel. We also walked to Petco Park for a baseball game.

Room Tip: Ask for a Bay View room. Upper floors are the quietest and avoid the ice machine as it in an alcove...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Barbie726,

I am happy to hear that you continually enjoy our Westin properties! We are a great choice for attending games and events at Petco Park, visiting the Gaslamp and the surrounding areas. We are tucked a few blocks away from the busy Gaslamp Quarter but closer to the harbor and Little Italy. Our guest rooms hold breathtaking views over the city and the waterfront. Our concierge desk can help you plan your trip around the city and even offers discounted tickets right here in the hotel! Thank you for your review and I hope to see you back in San Diego soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very nice hotel! The employees are pleasant and seem to really want to make you comfortable. The room was nice, neat, quiet, and comfortable. And the location was very nice. I ordered room service one night and the food was also good:)

Only things I would change is to include Wifi in the cost of the room. I used my hotspot so I avoided the fee (don't remember what it was) It's a nice hotel so I assumed the Wifi was included. They offer free Wifi in the lobby but you don't always want to go down to the lobby if you needed to get online. Also, the shower temp was not as hot as i like.

Regardless, it was still nice and I would stay here again! I really appreciate friendly staff who really seem to want to make you comfy.

Also there was a lady working in the little coffee shop by the bar who made an effort to give me breakfast even though she was not open yet. I had to leave very early and when I stopped by to purchase something she accommodated me. Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jessica T
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Jessica T,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Westin San Diego. Here at Westin our goal is to make you feel like you're home. Our welcoming and friendly staff is there to make sure you have everything you need for your stay. From our Westin Heavenly Beds, to our restaurant and In Room Dining with SuperFood options, we have everything you need for your visit. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Westin San Diego.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We live in San Diego and staycation downtown often. Our usual hotel was booked, so we chose the Westin for my boyfriend's birthday. Morgan checked us in, graciously welcomed us, wished my boyfriend a happy birthday AND sent a birthday snack plate with a handwritten birthday note to our room. So thoughtful! Our room was great-we loved the views, the uber-comfy Westin bed and typical of the Westin was very clean and spacious. The location was perfect, just a short walk to the train/trolley, the Old Police Headquarters (shopping & dining), Seaport Village and the water. We loved this property and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Brendaleighna

Brendaleighna,

I hope that we become your new go to hotel for you San Diego staycations. Our signature Westin Heavenly beds guarantee a great night’s sleep and our location makes it easy to get around all of downtown. Thank you for recognizing Morgan at the front desk. We always appreciate feedback for our associates and I will be sure to share it with the staff. We know that our service is what separates us from the rest and I am delighted to hear we could exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We spent one night at the Westin San Diego, and will never stay there again. We requested a rollaway in our Bay View king room, which was placed upright in the middle of our room. It was up to us to move furniture, etc. to make it fit. Given the incredibly small size of the room (along the lines of an hotel room in Manhattan,) this involved us putting chairs and tables up on the window ledge and jamming the bed in between a chair, the desk and the 45 degree wall. We hoped that housekeeping would adjust it when they came in for turndown service, but they never came by.

On a very strange note, our room was really damp. Everything felt very wet and humid. It was really weird. When we inquired about getting the shuttle to the airport for a very early flight, we were told that flight crew would have priority so we would be better off getting a cab. While it was good to know this in advance (and we used Uber, which was perfect,) it was a bit disconcerting that their customer service was unable to accommodate their own guests.

We stay at Westins a couple of times a year and are always really pleased with the rooms, service, etc. so this was a huge disappointment. We would never stay here again, nor would we recommend it to anyone. We should have gone to the Sheraton Harbor Island, where we had stayed before.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Sals18 – Thank you for being loyal to the Westin brand. I was disappointed to read about your recent experience. We offer turndown for all guest based on request and would have been happy to take care of your rollaway. We also offer complimentary airport transportation based on space availability as seats can fill up quickly. We take advance reservations for all of our guests including flight crews. I hope you keep us and Starwood’s many brands in mind upon your return to San Diego.
Be well,