“Great service!”

The Westin San Diego
Ranked #63 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Had a very nice stay. Location was perfect, dining was easy, walking distance to everything gas lamp district and downtown. Slept soundly and didn't have to deal any noise from other guests. Overall, the service at the Westin was top notch. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JRTahiti
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

TahitiTourisme,

Thank you for highly recommending the Westin San Diego! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Our location makes us a great choice to easily navigate around the city and our signature Westin Heavenly Beds guarantee a superior slumber. I hope to see you in SD again soon!

Be Well,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We loved our room and the gorgeous view of the city! Great fireworks show out of the window each night! We were able to walk to Seaport village and the gaslamp district. we could jump the redline, right by the hotel, to get to old town San Diego! We loved the easy access to any where we wanted to go! A major plus for us!!

Room Tip: Stay on upper floors,south side if you like quiet!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Tammy9764,

Our upgraded bay view rooms have some of the best views in San Diego. Our hotel has views of Tijuana Mexico, the bay, Coronado, North Island and the military base, the airport and also many city views. We are proud of the beautiful surroundings and know it helps our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. In addition, our location is also one of the most favorable aspects of this hotel - we are nestled in between a few ideal neighborhoods allowing you easy access to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, the Harbor and Seaport Village. We are also just minutes from Balboa Park. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you in San Diego soon!

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I wanted to love this hotel, but sadly it just wasn’t the case.
The check-in was easy and as soon as we checked in we were told to go enjoy the complimentary wine and cheese before we go to our rooms as it was ending in just a few minutes. I found that to be a nice gesture and we did enjoy at least a glass of wine.

We booked a deluxe king and at the time the hotel didn’t have many photos of the room on its page. It looked as though we would get a couch and a nice view. Well that didn’t happen at all. Our room was very tiny and the view was non-existent. I promptly called down and they put us in a different room still no couch and still very small, but better view. We had a friend with us and she upgraded to a deluxe room also and her room was worse than ours. To the staff’s credit, the bellman really helped and was kind enough to wait about 15 minutes with us while we were sorting out the room debacle. Which is why I tipped him triple what I would since he probably missed at least one other tip while staying with us. Even the front desk step agreed with me that they should not show photos of couches in room when they have very few rooms with them. I will say I just took a look at the website and it seems its been updated appropriately and specifically says a couch will come in a Jr. Suite. It did not say that before our stay. It was just random photos.

The pool area was definitely a miss. It’s on I believe, the third floor basically all cement and nothing spectacular at all. They need some planters to make it a little more green and lush. The gym was large and the machines were updated nicely. The restaurant was not that great. The prices were pretty steep for breakfast ($5 for a cup of coffee). I found a hair in my eggs. I let the waitress know, who promptly told the manager and she of course gave me a new breakfast, but I was quite surprised that the manager, knowing what had happened didn’t come by the table to at least apologize and ask if everything was alright.

The parking is typical downtown over priced parking at around $40 a night. They actually park the cars across the street which is cheaper, but no in and out privileges or valet so it really depends on how you’re using your time. We used “Lyft” our entire stay so we could have parked across the street and saved a good amount.

I've stayed at many Westin’s and this was a let down. Our friend enjoyed the Westin Gas Lamp location much more. Speaking of the Gas Lamp, if you're planning on walking there I definitely recommend a different hotel. The walk from the Gas Lamp district to this hotel was not that close and quite scary at night. Downtown San Diego has a huge amount of homeless living on the sidewalks and steps of buildings. We were here for a graduation and some downtime. I'm sure it’s great for business but to just relax, I’d find a new place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Aaron G – I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our SPG wine reception. It is a fun perk we offer for our loyal Starwood Preferred Guests. I am glad to read that our front desk and luggage attendants were attentive to all your needs. You will be happy to hear that we have all new pool furniture (replaced since your stay in May). I was disappointed to read about your experience with your room as they are on the larger side for downtown San Diego properties. We hope you think of us and Starwood’s many brands on your return to San Diego.
Be well,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed there for over a week while in San Diego. The hotel is located very close to the Gas Lamp district and as such offers access to many restaurants and attractions of downtown San Diego. Rooms on high floors and facing west offer a great view of San Diego bay and Coronado Island, so ask for such a room. The desk staff is helpful and friendly, but my wife thought that the concierge was very unhelpful. The hotel gets very crowded and noisy on the weekends but is relatively calm and less crowded during the week. Cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel needs attention. For a high-end hotel it is truly unacceptable to have stains in the carpets throughout, holes in the walls, mold growing in the grout of the tub, burns in the restaurant tables, and chewing gum, which lingered for four days in the same spot, to name a few issues. The restaurant of the hotel serves an expensive mediocre breakfast, so you are better off eating at one of the many establishments around the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors facing west have a great view of the San Diego Bay.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Valiant10000

Valiant10000 – I was happy to read that the front desk was helpful and friendly during your stay. Our rooms boast some of the best views in San Diego and I am glad you enjoyed them. Cleanliness and maintenance is a top priority for our hotel and I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our standards. We hope you think of us and Starwood’s many brands on your return to San Diego.
Be well,

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed here as part of her "sweet 16" birthday getaway. I am an SPG member and staying at this hotel and receiving exceptional service assures me again that we made the right choice becoming members. The hotel and rooms were extremely clean the staff was pleasant and informative about the area. I highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Doughterty529,

Thank you for being a loyal SPG member! I am pleased to hear that your daughter’s Sweet 16 with us was a great stay. Our concierge service can help plan any occasion and we even have discounted tickets to our local attractions. We know that service is what separates us from the rest and I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. I hope that we become your choice every time you stay in San Diego!

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a business trip. Great location. A walk 5 min to the waterfront and ferry to Coronado Island. 5 min walk to Gaslamp and 15 min walk to Convention center + you can catch the SD trolley which is two stops to Petco and Gaslamp. Great service and the concierge knows her stuff!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Ryanlayton,

We find our location to be perfect for all types of guests. We are centrally located between several neighborhoods making it easy to walk and get around without having a vehicle. You can even get discounted tickets to the local attractions at our concierge desk! We make traveling to San Diego easy. I hope that you can join us again soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Great overall hotel. Nice rooms, good food, great service and hospitality, and right by many downtown sites. Gas Lamp, Broadway, Horton Plaza, etc. Donald was great at the front desk! Nice amenities. Pool, wifi, etc.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Randy H
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Randy H,

Thank you for recognizing Donald at the front desk! We always appreciate feedback for our associates and I will be sure to share your comment with our team. Our location, food and service makes us a great choice for staying in downtown san Diego. It is easy to get to public transportation and great shops and dining. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!