“A few nights at the Palomar for business...”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #64 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Simi Valley, California
“A few nights at the Palomar for business...”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I loved the rooms - wood floors in a hotel room are great - no suspect carpet stains. The beds are huge but are too mushy. The location of the hotel is on the edge of the run down part of downtown (from 5th Ave going southward) that is in the process of being revitalized so there are a lot of homeless people around and some real characters at the 7 Eleven at the corner. It is just a quick walk though to the Horton Plaza and a ton of restaurants. Parking is really expensive so I am glad I took the train into town.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mattybaddy11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Greek first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I love Kimpton hotels, and upon arrival, the Palomar in San Diego it looked to be completely up to par. Massive entry doors unlike anything I've ever seen, a gorgeous lobby and lobby bar, friendly check in staff, and a well appointed, modern, trendy room with a great view. I felt certain I would love this hotel as much as I have loved other Kimptons. I travel about 75 nights a year on business, and enjoy leisure travel with my wife as well. This trip was for a company meeting, and over 100 colleagues were staying there as well. I don't always expect that much out of a business hotel, but this proper missed on two major items. My TV consistently did not work, despite technical support being sent to my room multiple times to "fix" the problem. I also did not have hot water four out of my five morning showers. I don't mean the water wasn't steaming hot, nor even lukewarm or tepid - these showers were downright cold. Upon polling several of my colleagues, many if not most experienced the same problems with both the TV and hot water. It seems that this property may have overspent on appearance, but dropped the ball on some of the basics that would get me to come back. As a caveat, if you look at my other reviews, I am generally a very positive reviewer on trip advisor, not just a complainer with an axe to grind. Next time I am looking for a trendy hotel in San Diego, I think I will stick with the predictability of Starwood and stay at the W.

• Stayed January 2012
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Hobbrooks,

I am sorry we ruined your business trip to San Diego and the Palomar. I am disappointed and apologize for the issues you experienced.

I would like to discuss your stay with you personally. At your convenience please contact me directly at the hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I am not even sure where to begin with this review so lets start with the beginning. We were planning a short get away to San Diego and we have had very good luck with the Kimpton chain. So when I started to check out the San Diego area, i noticed that there were 2 Kimpton hotels in San Diego. I places a note on the Kimpton InTouch facebook page to reach out to others for some recommendations. I got one reply from a member of management at the Palomar. She asked me to email her my needs and wants and she came up with the perfect room suggestion for us. At Check-In, the desk staff and valet staff were attentive and friendly. When we got to our room, there was a complimentary bottle of wine left for us since they new we were they celebrating a milestone. The room had everything we could ask for and more. It was close to everything we wanted to go and see. The concierge recommended several nice places for us to have lunch and dinner. I can not say enough good things about the staff as they went out of their way for me several times during out stay. This is a definite 5 star hotel in my book!!!

Room Tip: Make contact with hotel though facebook to get some questions answers and see if they might be able...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 16 January 2012
Dear IndyMedic2006,

I really appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Palomar. I am thankful you reached out to us through Facebook. I also appreciate the comments regarding our front desk and valet staff. It sounds like our concierge allowed you to live like a local!

We look forward to your return.

Mallorca
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed here for four nights over new year and had a great stay. A perfect location to stay for exploring San Diego and the surrounding area. The hotelis situated in downtown so literally there is an abundance of restaurants shops, malls on your doorstep. We used valey parking, not cheap at 48 dollars anight, but the system worked for us. There is a public car park right across the street, which gives you the alternative if you wish, althogh we dint even explore the cost of it. Bedrooms are simply but comfortably furnished and the floors are all wooden, beds are very, very good as are the bathrooms which are spacious and have a full bath and shower.The hotel has an excellent roof top pool, "HEATED", as wellas a good gym area which gives you the basic equipment for a workout, good by hotel standards....The bare seves great cocktails and seemed to be patronised by many locals which is always a good sign. Reception staff were fantastically efficient and friendly as were the bell hops and valets for parking. Gald we chose this hotel and a definate reccommend. The best restaurant we found was and Italian called ASTI, located on the same street, three blocks away on the left hand side. Italian food and servise at it's best. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and thats what we got, couldn't here a thing...ask for a quiet room an...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hobsonga
Dear Hobsonga,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at the Palomar. I appreciate the great comments about the room and location.

We hope you will be returning soon.

Montreal
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my 3 other girlfriends. AT the time,, the hotel was called Se San Diego. We had a great experience. Rooms are very clean, modern and the bed is one of the most comfy bed i've ever slept in. We got a deal via travelzoo and only cost $99/night, which is a great deal. Location is great as well, right on the edge of Gaslamp district and easy walking distance to some nice restaurant, bars and clubs. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichelleLMontreal
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 6 January 2012

all i am going to say about this hotel is that it is located in a great area in downtown, it is a great hotel with an exceptional staff. Anything we needed they immediately brought up to our room with a smile and they were just so friendly and accommodating that our trip was extremely pleasant.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank karim i
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Karim I,

Thank you for your great comments on our location and exceptional staff. We look forward to your return soon.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed for the new year's weekend and had an amazing experience. The rooms are very modern and clean. The hotel staff was excellent. I will be returning! A+

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tageoff
Dear Great_tix,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your great stay at the Palomar. We appreciate the A+ rating and your comment on our excellent staff.

We look forward to your return soon.