“Great place to host an event!!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #59 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great place to host an event!! Very helpful staff and great location. Thanks to Jenn and Corrie for their support with all of the details!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear FASD,

Thank you for the great comments about Jen and Corrie! We agree they are a great support!

Mark Van Cooney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed 29 January 2012

A business/pleasure trip for 3 days. Our first at a Klimpton property. It is in the Gaslamp district and very close to many restaurants, bars and opportunities for night life. And an easy walk (15 min) to the water front ferry to Coronado or any of the sights along the water. Seaport Village is only a few minutes more, past the USS Midway.
The people we encountered at the Palomar were friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. And the bellmen were all very good and Gilbert was exceptional... truly an employee who loves his job.

Room Tip: We had a suite (separate bedroom with ensuite steam shower, full size fridge, microwave, dining room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your great comments on the Palomar JD419. We also think Gilbert is great! I am glad you got to get out and Live Like a Local!

We look forward to your return to San Diego and the Palomar.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2012

This hotel was average at best, and Poor by my standards.
First, let's talk location. Yes, it's in the Gaslamp District, which is how it is advertised. However, it is in the LAST block of the Gaslamp, about 9-12 blocks removed from the water and on the very northern end. It is also right next to a free trolley station and bus stop - both of which attract riff-raff and ne'er-do-wells. You know the scene - Everything $1 stores nearby, a Check Cashing joint across the street, etc.... Not exactly a place you'd feel comfortable walking around for a few blocks until you reached a more reputable part of the Gaslamp area. To put it in perspective, the Rite Aid across the street had 2 armed guards in the store when I shopped there to get a bottle of water at about 10:00 PM on night. Note also that I was approached 3x during my walk across the street that night - twice for "extra change" and once by a vagabond who wanted to "borrow my cell phone" for a minute. Yeah, right.
Next, let's talk quality. Upon arriving to my room, I noted that 2 light bulbs were out, 1 of the lamps had holes in the shade, and on 2 other lamps, the shades were broken and just hung on the lamps at random angles. The air conditioning did not cool to the desired temperature and the hot water fluctuated in temperature during my showers. I was going to bring these matters to the attention of the front desk worker, but when the person in front of me at the desk mentioned that he had NO hot water and the receptionist asked him if he knew how to work the faucet, I figured that my complaint would likely not be addressed adequately either, so I didn't bother.
Third, let's talk value. Yes, the hotel has good free coffee in the AM and a free wine reception every evening, some with free live music. However, $36/night to park a car is a bit steep.
Fiinally, let's talk attitude. This hotel fancies itself to be a "chic", "trendy" hotel. Their staff are all fit and young and wearing the required black, slate and gold outfits, with the men wearing trendy hats and women giving a good appearance. However, they also come across as snooty and better-than-thou at times, despite the fact that your (and my) room charges are paying their salaries. While not put-offish to a great extent, I never really felt as if they were genuine to me or to any of the other patrons I overhead them interacting with. Superficially nice, yes, but genuine, no.
There are many other hotels in the Gaslamp area, many that are much nicer, although perhaps more pricey, than this one. They are more centrally located, better lit, in safer areas and have more amenities. I'd strongly suggest that any traveler fully evaluate other options while also considering this hotel so that you make the right cost/quality trade-off. For me, while I got a good price through a travel site that allows you to get good deals on lodging, I would surely have paid more for a higher quality place with lamps that work, people who are friendly and a safer environment where I would not get accosted by bums every time I walked out the door.

Room Tip: Try out all the features of your room - lights, water, TV, etc.. - as soon as you check in, as in my...
2  Thank EJFromPA

Dear EJfromPA,

I am sorry this visit to the Palomar was such a bad stay. I would like the chance to discuss with you when it is convenient. I can be contacted directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Maybe marginal is not the right word. Nothing about the hotel is WRONG, per se, which is why I give it 4 stars. It's conveniently located in the Gaslamp, the beds are very comfortable, the entryway to the hotel is a MAGNIFICENT oversized door, the staff is friendly and efficient, etc.

But...

I stayed there for two nights with my boyfriend and the whole time we thought, "Dang. We wish we had booked at Palomar's beachier themed sister, Solamar". For me, Palomar is like that girl in the club who tries a bit too hard. She has one too many accessories on, a bit too much eyeliner, and you know by the end of the night she's going to be DYING to take off those stilettos. Solamar is more like your super cool friend who is always going on fun adventures and wants to take you with.

Palomar has upscale styling, but it ends up looking like the upscale styling of every other upscale hotel. Solamar has a fresher approach to design, including very funky mirrors in the guest rooms. To me, Solamar feels effortless, approachable, and soothing. Palomar is very nice, but just not my speed.

Note 1: The pool wasn't open while I was there (or at least I couldn't find a way to unlock the door to it). That was a bummer, because I love going out on Solamar's pool deck in the early morning and curling up with a good book as the sun climbs.

Note 2: The guest rooms have fab wooden floors, which help alleviate my bed bug paranoia, but their heavy wood beds scratch the floors to pieces.

Note 3: I do LOVE Palomar's rolling ottomans. I rolled back and forth all over the room in a frenzy just for fun. They roll REALLY quickly and the rooms have somewhat of a corridor inside that's a perfect rolling tract.

I think a lot of travelers will prefer Palomar over Solamar, but if you're a more laid back beachier type of person with an eye for funkier design I suggest trying Solamar. In addition, their wine selection is always a bit more eclectic, which I like.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blissfork
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The Palomar San Diego is a beautiful hotel (clean, modern, quiet, nice amenities). Our stay was lovely from the moment we walked in and the staff went above and beyond to help us with the area (neighborhood info, finding shops to buy a gift, restaurants, etc.). We would absolutely stay here again! Thank you Hotel Palomar.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Located in a great location on 5th. street in the Fun, Diverse, Energy filled Gas Lamp District of Downtown San Diego, the Palomar delivers a boutique gem with a modern hip feel. Wonderful staff, great amentities, and modern decor delivers a sophisticated, high end experiece in an area that has something for everyone. Its location at the end of 5th. street allows you to Stay and Sleep a few block up from the frantic up beat Gas Lamp experience. Go out the door, make a left and walk two block and you are in the middle of shopping, restaurants, bars, movie theatre, and street culture. Palomar's location is only outmatched my its professional, sincere staff providing genuine service... Can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chaz B
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear ChazB,

Thank you for all of the great comments regarding our staff, the hotel and our location! I am happy you were able to get out and live like a local!

We look forward to your return to the Palomar!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Whenever I travel in the San Diego area, I have stayed at the Kimpton sister hotel – Hotel Solamar - which I have always enjoyed. Had to try the new property when I had a couple of days in town. While it has only been part of the Kimpton family for a couple of months, from the moment of check in, the property and staff made it feel like all the other Kimpton hotels I have stayed in on both coasts. The valet noted a new service, whereby you can call up your vehicle via text message – very nice. The front desk recognized my Inner Circle membership and automatically upgraded my room (very stylish, as is the rest of the hotel). Kona, the fish, was provided in the room – always a nice touch away from home. My requested pillow option was already on the bed. The staff did all the things I have come to expect when arriving at a Kimpton property. The hotel is next door to the House of Blues (great music!) and very convenient to the airport, yet the room was completely quiet and relaxing, resulting in a great night's sleep. As others have noted, CVS and 7-11 are within a block of the hotel and convenient for late night snacks and missing toiletries. Great Gaslamp eateries and shopping are within easy walking distance. It was a beautiful weather, as always in SoCal, so a walk to the Marina Park was a perfect way to stretch the legs (great recommendation by the staff). At check out, the front desk staff was tied up, so the Concierage jump right in, checked me out quickly and made sure that my bill was emailed to me for my records (received before I got to the airport). Another great hotel in the Kimpton family, with gracious staff manning the front desk – can’t wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank R B

Dear R B,

Thank you for the great comments regarding the Palomar hotel. We are very proud to be part of the Kimpton family. I am very happy that your experience lived up to your prior experiences with Kimpton.

We look forward to your future visits to San Diego.

Warm regards,