“Great service, great location”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #58 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Palomar for 4 days with our 3 year old. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We requested a humidifier and it was in our room in less than 5 minutes. Room service was also unbelievably quick. Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious, even if a bit pricey. The location is really good, right at the Gaslamp District, very close to the airport and to Coronado and with easy access to I-5 if you need to go somewhere else in town. Our room was spacious and quiet. Internet access was quick and free for Kimpton rewards members (you can sign up for free on their website). But if I had to pick one best thing about Palomar, I would pick their service. We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear TexMexZilian,

I am very happy you enjoyed our service and location. Please come back and see us soon.

Mark Van Cooney

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here for a bachelorette party. The style of the hotel is contemporary. It's very chic and beautiful. The staff is helpful and sweet. They helped me coordinate a party at the Saltbox and also a Spa day at the Se Spa. Beds are extremely comfortable and staff was very accommodating when I needed extra linens at an inconvenient hour. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a party or just a relaxing getaway. Also, lots of stuff to do nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Shweta G,

Thanks for the comments on your great stay and bachlorette party. Sé Spa is ready for your next visit!

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 February 2012

The hotel is easy to find and is the perfect location if you're looking to be in downtown San Diego - right in the heart of the Gas Lamp District. Kimpton Hotels are Pet Friendly and do not charge a fee (which is appreciated)- so we brought Rollie, our Yorkie along for the weekend. Each Team Member was in love with pets so he felt at home.

The valet/parking fee was reasonable & prompt upon arrival and when we needed the car. The nightly wine reception was nice & we partook one evening while waiting for dinner reservations. Our room was spacious and well laid out. Hardwood floors were nice and gave an overall "clean" and germ free feeling. Rainfall shower was nice as were the marble floors.

On the second evening, a server arrived with a kind note with well wishes and in-room amenity from the reservations team for a competition we'd be at. Very unexpected and thoughtful.

We enjoyed Louisiana cooking at the next block over for lunch one evening and a wine bar that was Alice & Wonderland themed another evening. Their restaurant Saltbox looked great, but due to our schedule, we missed it. There was a neat place called The Local that had a great sandwich and burgers 3 blocks up.

Excellent stay & excellent staff!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2012

when the lobby doubles as a bar and the "heated" but in fact unheated pool area is designed to be a drinking lounge you have need to be concerned. especially as a biz traveller who might need some sleep. the staff were not overly concerned with anything, if we had this experience at a 3 star hotel i'd be as unimpressed as i am with this stupid ipad2. the room overlooked one of the loudest service plant setups ever but the alternate was the pool/bar area. parking is a nightmare so the hotel charges you $36 usd /day to make up for this. its tad too far to walk with kids to anything worth walking to. we were booked for what was intended to be a relaxing week but when the soft beds did in one back and threatened to do in another we shifted after 3. must try harder.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank leslie r

Dear Joydot,

I am sorry you had such a bad stay with us. I would like to discuss your stay at a convenient time for you.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

My family and I are Kimpton rewards members, and quickly became members after our first stay in a Kimpton Hotel. They are VERY kid friendly and they are also pet friendly (at no extra cost for either). We had previously stayed at the Salomar in San Diego and were excited to try the new Palomar! Absolutly LOVED IT! I wont lie I was concerned when we arrived on a Friday night, as the Gaslamp area was moving at the nightlife pace and it was next to the House of Blues!
From the valet service, to the the lobby and front desk service, all worries quicly disappeared! Our kids LOVED the giant door you can walk through. Our room as we reserved was ready, two double beds, hardwood floors throughout, GIANT walk-in shower, crib ready, and dog bed and bowels!
I expected nothing less from a Kimpton Hotel and we were not disappointed one bit with the Palomar! We had a wonderful recommendation to go have breakfast at Brians 24 around the corner, there is a nice shopping area/mall within walking distance, and if you forgot anything, dont worry, there is a CVS across the street. (It even has the old fashioned Thrifty Ice Cream!)
Needless to say we loved it, beautiful top to bottom, not a hint of street noise, but close enough to everything!
Upon my return, I have booked myself and the rest of my co-workers at the hotel for a conference in April at the Convention Center.
Cant wait to return

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DrewCrew_515
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

We love dogs and kids! I am glad you were able to get out and Live Like a Local in San Diego. Come back and see us soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed at Hotel Palomar for a 4 day work conference in San Diego in early February and could not have been happier. Form the minute I walked into this hotel, I knew it was going to be great. My bags unfortunately did not make it with me on my trip so the hotel immediately offered me a free dob kit that would provide me with all of my toiletry needs. They then offered me some free drinks because I jokingly mentioned needing one after my terrible travel experience. I was running late for an important dinner meeting and they also offered to hold my one carry on bag and take it to my room so that I could make my dinner meeting in time! Wonderful customer service, awesome rooms, great people! You honestly can't go wrong with this hotel.

P.S. This wonderful experience inspired my first review on Trip Advisor!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nick M

Dear Nick M,

I was so excited to read your comments. Best experience in 27 years! We can't wait for your return.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Where do I start...I absolutely adore this place!

I had a suite (flat) and when I tell you that the room (1406) rocked, it so did! I am still raving about this place. When I entered my room, I was greeted by soft Jazz playing all throughout the suite and the lights were dim. A fresh bucket of ice sat on the dining room table, which was lit by a fashionable lamp. Ahhhh, I felt like I was in a movie. By lifting the shade slightly, from the living room to the bathroom, I had a view of downtown San Diego, with huge windows. I had a balcony that could fit 8-10 people comfortably. Two robes, one (large) in the closet(Leopard) and one laying on the bed (Zebra). Three closets, one in the living area, two (small) in the bedroom area, of which one had an elite Keurig coffee machine with contents. Two flat screen t.v.'s, one in the bedroom and one in the living room area. Two bathrooms, one when you initially walk into the suite and the other in the actual bathroom area. The bedroom bathroom, which was huge, had a separate tub and rainforest shower. And I did use both. I liked the hardwood floors throughout the suit and also the retractable glass sliding doors.
Each day, my room was cleaned and one night, I was on my balcony and I heard some noise in the room so I went in to look around and I was scared at first, but then I saw a woman who was only putting a fresh bag of ice in the room. How nice?!?!
I didn't eat in the restaurant, but I did use the commentary happy hour in the lounge area. It gets pretty crowded too, which is nice for socializing. Be careful is you aren't used to the modern way of doing things, this hotel has unisex bathrooms in the dining area upstairs...
I have to give it up to the Palomar. I didn't want to leave. The staff greets you with open arms and you can tell that they love their jobs. They made me feel comfortable beyond means, which is important when you leave your home.

Room Tip: High floor with a great view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank glamtrav

I am so happy you had an A+ stay with us Glamtrav! We are excited for your next trip to San Diego and the Palomar.