“Wonderful experience- will be returning!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #57 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed at the Palomar SD for business last week and it's now very clear why my boss only stays there when she is in town. The rooms were clean and stylish, location is perfect, food was great, and service was wonderful. At check out, the woman at the front desk overhead a phone conversation I was having. I was discussing how I would get to the train station with all of my luggage. I mentioned that although it's a short walk, my boss didn't want me walking alone because I am a young woman. After overhearing this, rather than call a cab, the staff immediately made a phone call and within 3 minutes had a complimentary town car waiting for me outside. It's simple gestures like this that go noticed by guests. I will absolutely be staying there again next time I visit San Diego. Thank you to the staff who helped make my experience enjoyable and relaxing.. the free wine happy hour isn't a bad deal either!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

I am so happy you and your boss will now be staying with us Kara. I am so glad you enjoyed our rooms, location, wine hour and our house car!

Please let us know when you or your boss will be returning.
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,310)

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Staff was very friendly! Room had amazing views of DT SD with floor to ceiling windows! Bathrooms in my room felt new and nicely appointed. I was there labor day weekend, but it didn't feel overwhelmingly crowded. The pool at the hotel was fun- young sexy people drinking and partying to a DJ. Great spot to bring friends and couples. Hotel is in a great location - my gf and I could walk everywhere. Didn't take a cab once. Overall my stay was wonderful and cannot think of one negative.

Room Tip: I stayed in a skyview suite on the 20th floor and I loved the room and view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shane P

Thanks for sharing your comments on our location, friendly staff and cool pool scene. We are very happy you spent your Labor Day holiday with us!

Hope to see you soon,

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I absolutely love the Hotel Palomar! My boyfriend and I have stayed here the last three times we visited San Diego and we won’t stay anywhere else.

Johnson Menezes the Assistant Front Office Manager has made each of our stays at the Palomar extra special. Johnson always greets my boyfriend and I by name and takes the time to talk to us. He ensures that we are having a great stay and always goes waayyy above and beyond. Johnson is a rockstar!

The hotel is in a great location in the heart of San Diego, close to fun restaurants, shops and the ballpark. Everything is perfect from the friendly front desk staff to the guestrooms.

Every time we arrived at the hotel there was always a bellman/valet attendant to greet us.

The hotel is very hip, fun and the service is phenomenal. The Palomar offers so many great amenities for their guest including complimentary coffee in the morning in the lobby area, complimentary wine happy hour with treats in the evening and bikes for guests to borrow.

Each time we stayed at the hotel we were in fabulous corner room with a balcony overlooking the pool. The rooms were very spacious, quiet and comfortable. The beds are super cozy and comfy. So cozy that it makes it difficult to get out of bed in the morning!

My boyfriend and I also had a couples massage at the Se spa. The massages were incredible and the steam room was oh so relaxing.

The Hotel Palomar is amazing! If you are traveling to San Diego you should treat yourself to a stay at this 6 star resort!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2012

Thank you Liz! Your review was really appreciated. Johnson is our Rock Star! I am really happy you had a great stay and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We picked Kimpton - Palomar SD as we happened to get a good deal on a room there and it was right in the area we wanted - Gaslamp Quarter. From the pictures we had seen online, it looked nice/modern (which it actually was) so we booked it. Boy, what a great decision. My significant other and I were celebrating an anniversary and so the hotel went above and beyond to make sure our stay was special. On top of that, the hotel itself actually had a great staff (ie. front desk, room service, bellhops, valet, everyone!) that was very friendly and helpful, which I do take particular notice of anywhere we stay. Anytime we needed a cab we got one in no time or when we needed to rent a car, they facilitated everything including picking us up from the hotel to take us to the car rental location. Also the hotel is within walking distance of pretty much everything - restaurants, bars, etc. The actual room we were able to upgrade to was amazing - had all the amenities we needed and more! Beds were comfy and the rooms were very clean. We didn't get a chance to check out the hotel's pool and bar but from the few minutes we hung around, it seemed to have a great atmosphere. Plus they have a sort of wine happy hour every evening which doesn't hurt :) Overall, great hotel - I definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for celebrating your anniversary with us! I am glad we were the perfect choice for your trip to San Diego. Please come back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I mentioned to our reservation representative that my husband was being deployed to Afghanistan for a year and that we were coming from Virginia to San Diego to visit our son at SDSU before my husband left. When we arrived to our room there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us and a note from Marquette saying that she hopes that we enjoy our visit with our son. WOW!!! What a personal touch. I have stayed at a Kimpton in San Francisco and D.C but this was just over the top. We will never stay at another Hotel in San Diego again.
Thank you Palomar and Marquette for a memorable weekend!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you Adela! I am so happy you were able to have a great stay. What a special trip with the chance to visit with your son before your husband went to Afghanistan to serve our country. We truly appreciate his service.

Please let us know when you're coming back!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed at the Palomar in Chicago a few years back and enjoyed the Kimpton aesthetic (and evening hosted wine hour!). This stay was no different--the hotel has a convenient location more or less in the gaslamp (but not RIGHT over the bars so it was relatively quiet) and was walking distance to all the bars and restaurants in that area.

Pros: Clean, modern rooms. Comp. coffee/tea in the lobby in the morning and wine/beer at night. Cheap and tasty happy hour snacks in the attached bar/lounge. Free fast wi-fi and "raid the mini-bar" coupon if you join the (free) loyalty program (who wouldn't?) Staff were really nice, friendly, helpful.

Cons: Lovely but awkward shower--rain-style shower head and no door. Very stylish but also ended up getting water all over the bathroom if you weren't careful. Pool area was also lovely, but the pool was rather small and very shallow. (But then again, I wasn't really looking to swim laps.)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2012

The Palomar is a boutique style hotel, located on the edge of the gaslamp district. Staff were very efficient and friendly. Our room was small, but clean and had everything we needed. The king size bed was comfortable, the pillows feather. Curtains blocked out early morning sun and windows opened, which was nice as we were able to get some fresh air. Complimentary coffee and tea were offered in lobby every morning and wine and snacks in afternoon. We did not use the pool, but had a look at it and it looked good. Overall we enjoyed our time and would definitely stay there again.