“Can't go wrong with Kimpton”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #64 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Jackson, New Hampshire
“Can't go wrong with Kimpton”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This beautiful Kimpton hotel is perfectly located in downtown San Diego. A short walk to the gaslamp district, a few blocks from the waterfront, and a short taxi or bus ride to the zoo. They have mastered the art of hospitality. Our room was beautiful, the service was stellar, and there is simply nothing negative I could say about this hotel. We will surely be back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks so much for such a great review. I'm so happy you had a nice stay and our staff took great care of you.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you soon.
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Greek first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Just spent 4 nights at this hotel at the end of our 3 week road trip. We couldn't have asked for a better end to our holiday. The service and staff were fabulous. Special thanks to Leo (Front of House) and Dallas (Valet) for your recommendations and for making our stay with yourselves so enjoyable. Our room was a brilliant size and kept immaculate. We would recommend this hotel as the perfect location to explore San Diego. We did appreciate having our own car and we did find the parking costs high (as we did in every US city). We will be back for another visit. We would also recommend a visit to The Zanzibar restaurant in the East Village (a few minutes walk from the hotel). The food was excellent.

Room Tip: Our room was by the elevator and we didn't hear a thing. The room was extremely quiet.
Green Features: There are recycling bins in the bedrooms and there are the usual towel and bedding environmental recommendations.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thanks Martin B for the great review. Leo and Dallas are our Rock Stars and I'm really happy they showed you a great time in San Diego. Please come back soon and check out Saltbox on your next visit.

Cheers,
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I went there 2 weekends ago for our anniversary.

Cons:
. Be prepared to spend $40.00 in parking
. Saturday's in the summer they host pool parties. If you want to use the pool you have to pay $15.00/per person
. The hotel is close to all the fun bars and restaurants, the only problem is that is it located at the end of the "good part" of the Gaslamp District. So be prepared to see homeless people and all sorts of weird people.

Pros:
. The hotel holds free wine tasting everyday from 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
. Close to restaurants and bars
. Clean hotel with friendly staff
. Quiet room

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks Muchara and I'm really happy you enjoyed your stay. Wine hours are a fun way to meet other guests and enjoy some complimentary wine.

We hope to see you again soon.
dallas
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Nice stay. Room was near the elevator and did not hear a thing...service was fabulous and appreciated the teams attention to service. Restaurant served up a good breakfast, very fresh and cooked to order. ..

1 Thank SammyHam
Thanks Sammyham for the great review. I'm so happy you enjoyed the service, hotel and Saltbox also. Let us know when you're coming back to San Diego.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I cant believe how bad this hotel's custoemr service is. I booked a room on 5-9-2014 for what I thought was on 6-20-2014. Two minutes after I booked the room I realized that I booked it on the wrong day. I called the hotel 30 seconds after this to tell them what happened. When I spoke to the reservation rep he told that I had to talk to my credit card company. At that time the credit card company was closed. I contacted them first thing the following morning and they contacted the hotle and the Manager said that I could not change the reservation and or cancel it. They knew that I made a mistake and they still charged me. I own a business and knowing that a customer made a simple mistake I would have rescheduled the room stay. At the end of the day I paid $285 for a night stay there and I cant stay. :-( Horrible customer service. Keep in mind that if you have a problem here they may not care.

Jim Lopez

916-825-7693

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jim L
I am glad we were able to talk and get this straightened out Jim. If you need anything further from me please let me know. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Looks nice but has many problems. We checked on to find that we were not supplied soap ,shampoo and conditioner. Once we had asked to have some brought up we realized there was no hot water . Hours later this was fixed . We have attended the wine function in the lobby for multiple days and the wines are yet to be changed . The tv remote works part time and we were just asked to leave the pool area on a nice sunny day due to them having a function and the business function was more important . Well we have a couple more days here what will the bring ? Not sure if we will use a kimpton hotel again

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
I am really sorry you had such a rough start to your stay with us. I can be reached by email at mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com. I would like to discuss your stay with us.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Our visit started off great. We were greeted by the valet attendants and concierge who took our luggage to our room. The hotel has a nice decor and feel to it. As a frequent Kimpton hotel visitor throughout the country, I was pretty excited.

When we checked into our room, I saw a lot of scratch marks on the furnitures and floor. It's probably the dark brown color which brings out all the blemishes so that turned us off a bit. We decided to take a dip in the pool and had a great time. When we returned to our room, we realized our shower only had hot and hotter water.

This is when it took a turn. We called the front desk and they told us they'd be sending up an engineer which took like 30 mins while we stood wet in our bathing suits. When they finally came, they couldn't fix the water temperature. I called the front desk again and asked if we can shower somewhere else since we've been dripping wet for almost an hour at this. Finally they gave us key cards so we can shower in another room.

However, when we returned to our room, guest services came up and upgraded our room to a very nice suite on the 17th floor... I have to admit, I was sold. THANK YOU, Kimpton staff!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
I'm sorry for the rough start akwok210. But I'm really happy our staff turned it around. We hope to see you back soon.