“Another good stay”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #59 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at their sister hotel Solamar so it's the high time we give Palomar a try, nothing disappointed. Neat & Modern Room (was given high floor rooms with verandah, excellent view) higher floor helped pretty much over the weekend from the pool party's noise, decent amenities which refilling daily no mater used or not. Wine tasting and free coffee daily, decent free WIFI. Tried dinner and afternoon drinks at Saltbox, all excellent specially with afternoon happy hours. Location is one of the best. While the valet are all friendly and efficient, they did squeeze our van to the parking pole and denial until we found evidence which was not nice. Rest all are close to perfect.

Oh I believe it's high time to retire those aged leopard coat and gears in the closet, they took up a lot of space and looked scary then fun. I have seen it there in all Kimpton's too long time now.

Room Tip: end the walkway room, high floor with verandah
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

I'm glad you had another great Kimpton stay bom2535. We appreciate you giving the Palomar a try. You've stayed at both Kimpton Hotels in downtown San Diego. Make sure you try our sister property Hotel La Jolla next visit if you can venture out of downtown. Sorry you're getting tired of the robes. We still get a lot of great feedback on them. But we'll keep it in mind.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,284)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had an amazing experience at this property. Joe, the front desk manager, is a service superstar - he made us feel immediately at home. The room was fantastic, food amazing (we did room service a lot given we had our daughter with us) and the service great. Attentive valets, coffee in the morning and a very cool hotel vibe. The pool is fabulous too! Thank you, all!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolyn F

Thanks for such a great review Carolyn F. I'm so happy you and your family had such a nice visit. Thanks for the shout out for Joe. We agree, he is one of our Rock Stars.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night. The location is at the edge of the gas light. A very easy walk but you are a bit out of the thick of it. It seems to be an are gentrifying. Front desk, Restaurant bartender and pool bartender were excellent. Restaurant is very good. Try the soft pretzels. Could stay at the pool all day.

• Stayed: May 2014

It sounds like you got to enjoy the best of San Diego. Pool, Gaslamp and Saltbox for the best craft cockctails in San Diego. We hope to see you back soon. Next time you have to visit Se Spa, and you can check off the best Spa in San Diego also.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

While The Palomar is aesthetically pleasing, the staff is un-empowered yet nice. The Grand door at the entrance is in itself a powerful piece and statement. In a 3 night 4 day stay theres are my experiences.

Valet was quick to retrieve and greet, upon check in there were no rooms ready or available. After driving around for 15 minute we decided to try the adjoining bar. At The Saltbox we were greeted promptly, seated and ordered drinks. Roughly 10 minutes later we were able to check into our room. Happy to have arrived we started to settle in and unpack, pleased to find the alarm clock radio had an auxiliary jack for my iPod. After a long week we wanted privacy and to be honest with you to shut out the beautiful sunlight. After trying to close the curtains; without success we phoned the front desk. They offered to send someone to look at it... We used our briefcase to hold it closed in the meantime. Sometime later a maintenance man showed up and after taking a look at it, kindly explained that he couldn't fix it and that the curtain would have to be replaced. And that they didm't have replacements but to take it from another room. Well needless to say after he left not only did no one follow up with us the problem was never taken care of. Thus setting the negative tone to the long trip. From the curtain, to bad room service: over cooked burger (not medium rare) to what looked and tasted like rubbery day old bacon to valet taking upwards of 15 minutes to retrieve the car to the sliding bathroom door that left no privacy on the loo The Palomar does not get my vote or positive rating for couples or anyone wanting Good customer service. Looks are deceiving.

Flying in from Denver for business and pleasure. Not recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Divemonkey5

I'm sorry we ruined your stay with us Divemonkey5. If you have time I would like to discuss your stay. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this hotel through hotwire as a 4.5 hotel and were very disappointed. It is on top of the House of Blues and it is as dark and shabby as the club in the daylight. They tried to make it as simple and chic as a W, but instead it is uncomfortable and even tacky (don't get me started with those worn out leopard and Zebra robes…) And why every morning at 8 our entered room on the 14th floor smelled like bacon? It has been one of the few hotels we preferred to be out in the city until late that go back to this hotel and rest. The only thing that saves this hotel is the location and all the people in the valet parking are as nice as can be! Valet parking fee is 40 us per night, but I think this is common in San Diego's downtown... Front desk people are friendly too. But I would never chose a Kimpton again. Seriously in San Diego you can get a much better deal for the same price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I'm sorry Veroagui that you didn't like the hotel. I would be happy to discuss your stay. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was my first trip to a Kimpton hotel. My wife and I will be going back to another Kimpton hotel during our next trip. I walked into the Salomar (this is also a Kimpton) which is a few block away and got the same experience there. I loved the location of this hotel. It is right in the heart of the gas lamp district. You are close to great places to eat and fun places to walk.

Room Tip: They asked if I wanted to be by the pool or not because they have a DJ at night. Make sure to ask a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigFishingFan

Thanks BigFishingFan for the great review. I'm really happy to hear you love Kimpton! We also have a sister property, the Hotel La Jolla. Hopefully you can come back soon and visit all three. Make sure you try Saltbox, JSix and Cusp, the three awesome Kimpton Restaurants also.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Everything was great with 2 caveats:
I paid for a "double guest room" and requested 2 beds. Upon arrival was told they only had a king and it would cost me $30 to "upgrade" to 2 beds -what the hell???

The "free breakfast" is miniscule - a tiny croissant, cup of fruit, coffee and juice.

Room Tip: Make sure to call ahead of time about your bed "preference" as basically you're not gu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dee G

I'm sorry Dee G about the room issue. I'm not sure if you booked directly on our site. I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Thanks,