“Beware!!! Hidden Charges!!!”

Ranked #64 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Beware!!! Hidden Charges!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here 5 nights for the San Diego Marathon. Overnight parking was $39/per day. We pre-paid $40 for the pool party then was told at the door:- it was free for the hotel guests but since we already paid it was not refundable! Many other pre-paid hotel guests standing there next to us rolled our eyes wondered why they didn't make that clear on their website? we all mistakenly pre-paid and now was told non-refundable? When we checked out we were charged an additional $125 housekeeping fee. Asked the front office person what's the housekeeping fee for, he said "because we found some wine spilled on the bed sheets, and we couldn't get rid of the stains,we had to charge you".

We travelled the world, I ran at least 5 international Marathons a year, so far have never been charged for spilling wine on the sheets! It was obviously an accident we wouldn't have intentionally spilling wine on the sheets just to cause damage. The charge was not communicated or explained to us prior to checked out, the additional $125 just sneakily added to the total bill. I asked the check out staff if the hotel expects us to pay for the damaged sheets at least I should have the rights to own the damaged items. Where are the stained sheets? He said "we didn't keep them. we only have pictures" I said "how do you expecting to charge your guests for $125 without any communication and without the damaged items you claimed we stained?" He went away and spoke to the manager and came back informed us that they would waive/remove the charge from the bill.

Seriously if Kimpton Hotels wish to charge for stained sheets, as a courtesy it should be communicated to all hotel guests in writing when guests checking in:- something like the "no smoking in the room" and + "There will be a charge for spilling wine, juice or ketchup on the sheets or napkins, etc" and perhaps charge another additional fee and recommending the hotel guests to pre-purchase a "plastic cover" for the bed to protect the bed sheets getting stained!

Come on! Accidents happen, it was not nice to find hidden charges like this. This will be our last visit to the Kimpton Hotels. We will not recommend this hotel for the above unpleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Realfoodie007
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I'm sorry Realfoodie007 about your stay. I'm glad we were able to discuss your stay and again I apologize for the issues you experienced.

Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Greek first
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just checked out of the hotel today after a 5 night stay. I am sad to leave San Diego. I chose the Palomar because I am a Kimpton fan...I really appreciate their pet policies, environmental policies, and of course the wine hour! This stay was quite enjoyable overall.

I traveled to San Diego to participate in the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon and celebrate my birthday with friends. This location was ideal. It was located midway between the race start and finish which made it easy to walk to/from each. The hotel definitely stepped up its service by providing runners with bananas, oatmeal, peanut butter, granola bars, and plenty of coffee and water in the wee hours of the morning before the race. This touch was spectacular for those of us wondering how we would get our pre-race fuel at 4:30 in the morning! I got many well wishes from the staff and even woke to a good luck sign on my door the morning of the race!!!

The Saltbox restaurant and bar is nice and has a decent selection on the days you don't feel like wandering too far. That said, the hotel is located in a great area, so it's very easy to walk to a ton of restaurants and bars. There is plenty of variety in the area.

The spa was a wonderful on site treat also. It was comfortable, quiet, and my facial was great. My friend and I also enjoyed a glass of champagne which was a nice touch.

I have to call out Gilbert as one of the most pleasant individuals I've ever encountered in the hotel business. From the minute he greeted my friends and me, he was so pleasant. He took an interest in what we were doing and how he could help; he always had a smile and useful suggestions. Genuine friendliness in this day and age is a rare gem.

The only suggestion I have is that the Palomar needs to make an effort to inform guests about pool availability prior to their stay if possible. The pool was closed early/inaccessible 3 nights of my stay (once for a business gathering of some sort, once for a wedding, and apparently once for some pricey pool party I hadn't been informed of upon check in). I wish I could have used the pool a bit more.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. It's not flashy or frilly but it is exactly what I wanted in a hotel for this getaway...small, boutique-y, and friendly. Little touches go a long way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors to avoid the possibility of encountering noise due to events or t...
Green Features: Generally speaking Kimpton hotels seem to make great efforts to be environmentally friendly-this was no exception.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks Susie for such a nice review. I'm glad you were able to meet Gilbert our all star. I'm also glad to read you appreciated the pre-marathon snacks we put out. We love hosting all of you runners. Thanks for the heads up on the pool. We do post the event schedule on our website. But we will make sure we try and let everyone know in advance.

We look forward to your return.
Bangkok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at their sister hotel Solamar so it's the high time we give Palomar a try, nothing disappointed. Neat & Modern Room (was given high floor rooms with verandah, excellent view) higher floor helped pretty much over the weekend from the pool party's noise, decent amenities which refilling daily no mater used or not. Wine tasting and free coffee daily, decent free WIFI. Tried dinner and afternoon drinks at Saltbox, all excellent specially with afternoon happy hours. Location is one of the best. While the valet are all friendly and efficient, they did squeeze our van to the parking pole and denial until we found evidence which was not nice. Rest all are close to perfect.

Oh I believe it's high time to retire those aged leopard coat and gears in the closet, they took up a lot of space and looked scary then fun. I have seen it there in all Kimpton's too long time now.

Room Tip: end the walkway room, high floor with verandah
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
I'm glad you had another great Kimpton stay bom2535. We appreciate you giving the Palomar a try. You've stayed at both Kimpton Hotels in downtown San Diego. Make sure you try our sister property Hotel La Jolla next visit if you can venture out of downtown. Sorry you're getting tired of the robes. We still get a lot of great feedback on them. But we'll keep it in mind.

Cheers,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had an amazing experience at this property. Joe, the front desk manager, is a service superstar - he made us feel immediately at home. The room was fantastic, food amazing (we did room service a lot given we had our daughter with us) and the service great. Attentive valets, coffee in the morning and a very cool hotel vibe. The pool is fabulous too! Thank you, all!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn F
Thanks for such a great review Carolyn F. I'm so happy you and your family had such a nice visit. Thanks for the shout out for Joe. We agree, he is one of our Rock Stars.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night. The location is at the edge of the gas light. A very easy walk but you are a bit out of the thick of it. It seems to be an are gentrifying. Front desk, Restaurant bartender and pool bartender were excellent. Restaurant is very good. Try the soft pretzels. Could stay at the pool all day.

• Stayed May 2014
It sounds like you got to enjoy the best of San Diego. Pool, Gaslamp and Saltbox for the best craft cockctails in San Diego. We hope to see you back soon. Next time you have to visit Se Spa, and you can check off the best Spa in San Diego also.

Cheers,
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

While The Palomar is aesthetically pleasing, the staff is un-empowered yet nice. The Grand door at the entrance is in itself a powerful piece and statement. In a 3 night 4 day stay theres are my experiences.

Valet was quick to retrieve and greet, upon check in there were no rooms ready or available. After driving around for 15 minute we decided to try the adjoining bar. At The Saltbox we were greeted promptly, seated and ordered drinks. Roughly 10 minutes later we were able to check into our room. Happy to have arrived we started to settle in and unpack, pleased to find the alarm clock radio had an auxiliary jack for my iPod. After a long week we wanted privacy and to be honest with you to shut out the beautiful sunlight. After trying to close the curtains; without success we phoned the front desk. They offered to send someone to look at it... We used our briefcase to hold it closed in the meantime. Sometime later a maintenance man showed up and after taking a look at it, kindly explained that he couldn't fix it and that the curtain would have to be replaced. And that they didm't have replacements but to take it from another room. Well needless to say after he left not only did no one follow up with us the problem was never taken care of. Thus setting the negative tone to the long trip. From the curtain, to bad room service: over cooked burger (not medium rare) to what looked and tasted like rubbery day old bacon to valet taking upwards of 15 minutes to retrieve the car to the sliding bathroom door that left no privacy on the loo The Palomar does not get my vote or positive rating for couples or anyone wanting Good customer service. Looks are deceiving.

Flying in from Denver for business and pleasure. Not recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Divemonkey5
I'm sorry we ruined your stay with us Divemonkey5. If you have time I would like to discuss your stay. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked this hotel through hotwire as a 4.5 hotel and were very disappointed. It is on top of the House of Blues and it is as dark and shabby as the club in the daylight. They tried to make it as simple and chic as a W, but instead it is uncomfortable and even tacky (don't get me started with those worn out leopard and Zebra robes…) And why every morning at 8 our entered room on the 14th floor smelled like bacon? It has been one of the few hotels we preferred to be out in the city until late that go back to this hotel and rest. The only thing that saves this hotel is the location and all the people in the valet parking are as nice as can be! Valet parking fee is 40 us per night, but I think this is common in San Diego's downtown... Front desk people are friendly too. But I would never chose a Kimpton again. Seriously in San Diego you can get a much better deal for the same price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I'm sorry Veroagui that you didn't like the hotel. I would be happy to discuss your stay. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.