“Nice hotel in a great location!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
Ranked #62 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a girls weekend. I loved the decor, the hardwood floors and the layout. There was plenty of room for the both of us with two double beds. The bedding was comfortable and the bathroom was very nice - loved the overhead shower nozzle!

We went to the spa in the hotel and I have to say that it was one of the best parts of our trip. We both got a massage and facial and both were amazing. The only negative about the spa is that it isn't full service in that there is no locker room, steam room or sauna or really a area to "relax" before and after the treatment. But, the quality of the treatments make up for the lack of amenities.

My only complaint is that we were on the 10th floor in a room facing 5th Avenue. I only mention this because the hotel room got way too hot in the late afternoon/evening with the sun beating down on the windows of the room. The air conditioning wasn't strong enough to cool it down and made it uncomfortably warm especially when trying to get ready to go out!

Room Tip: See comments in the main review - be weary to rooms facing 5th avenue due to heat.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thanks Blondiemurc for the review. I'm really happy you enjoyed the hotel and Se Spa. I'm sorry about the A/C in your room. We're checking that floor to make sure we don't have any issues in the future. Thanks for letting us know.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Palomar hotel and I was very pleased with my experience. We arrived late on a Saturday night so San Diego was jumping. We arrived to check only to find my booking agent had not sent my booking over to the hotel. I was worried as many hotels would turn us away as they had no evidence I had even made a reservation however the guy on reception (I think his name was Michael?) was really helpful and got us a room and sorted out the problem after.

Our room was on a high floor and had a decent view however it was the last room on the corridor and was a bit of a strange L shape which made it feel a little small. I don't know if all the rooms are like this. The bathroom had a glass door which would make the room a little awkward if you were sharing with someone you didn't know VERY well however the shower was really nice.

The rooms are equipped with HD cable tv which was nice as I could keep up to date with Game of Thrones! We liked to have the window open and outside were the large aircon fans which made it pretty noisy at night.

There is a pool on the roof of the 4th floor which is relatively warm but is quite shallow so is more for lounging then doing laps. It does get a good bit of sun in the morning so it's good for an morning dip.

The hotel is located at the top of the gaslamp and is only a 20min walk to Petco park at the other end of the gaslamp. There are a ton of restaurants, bars and clubs are within a short walk as well as the Westfield shopping centre around the corner.

One small tip is if you have a hybrid car the valet parking is discounted from $36 to $20. This seems to be quite common in California so consider requesting a hybrid when renting a car if you will be parking for a number of days.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dazz83

Thanks Dazz83 for the nice review. I'm glad you got to enjoy the pool and the Gaslamp. Make sure you try Saltbox next trip. Their food, craft cocktails and local brews are amazing.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had a short stay here for work. I was very lucky to get an upgrade to a One-Bedroom suite. The room was massive and the bathroom was spectacular. I had a huge balcony overlooking the pool. I got in late and had a quick snack downstairs at the bar which was pleasantly busy and good. I definitely recommend anyone who stays at a Kimpton sign up for their InTouch rewards program - it gets you free WiFi and a cool mini-bar credit for your stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Thanks for the great review Will. I'm really happy we were your choice for your quick trip. I'm glad you were able to stop by Saltbox and enjoy a drink. Hope to see you a little longer next trip.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here 5 nights for the San Diego Marathon. Overnight parking was $39/per day. We pre-paid $40 for the pool party then was told at the door:- it was free for the hotel guests but since we already paid it was not refundable! Many other pre-paid hotel guests standing there next to us rolled our eyes wondered why they didn't make that clear on their website? we all mistakenly pre-paid and now was told non-refundable? When we checked out we were charged an additional $125 housekeeping fee. Asked the front office person what's the housekeeping fee for, he said "because we found some wine spilled on the bed sheets, and we couldn't get rid of the stains,we had to charge you".

We travelled the world, I ran at least 5 international Marathons a year, so far have never been charged for spilling wine on the sheets! It was obviously an accident we wouldn't have intentionally spilling wine on the sheets just to cause damage. The charge was not communicated or explained to us prior to checked out, the additional $125 just sneakily added to the total bill. I asked the check out staff if the hotel expects us to pay for the damaged sheets at least I should have the rights to own the damaged items. Where are the stained sheets? He said "we didn't keep them. we only have pictures" I said "how do you expecting to charge your guests for $125 without any communication and without the damaged items you claimed we stained?" He went away and spoke to the manager and came back informed us that they would waive/remove the charge from the bill.

Seriously if Kimpton Hotels wish to charge for stained sheets, as a courtesy it should be communicated to all hotel guests in writing when guests checking in:- something like the "no smoking in the room" and + "There will be a charge for spilling wine, juice or ketchup on the sheets or napkins, etc" and perhaps charge another additional fee and recommending the hotel guests to pre-purchase a "plastic cover" for the bed to protect the bed sheets getting stained!

Come on! Accidents happen, it was not nice to find hidden charges like this. This will be our last visit to the Kimpton Hotels. We will not recommend this hotel for the above unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Realfoodie007

I'm sorry Realfoodie007 about your stay. I'm glad we were able to discuss your stay and again I apologize for the issues you experienced.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just checked out of the hotel today after a 5 night stay. I am sad to leave San Diego. I chose the Palomar because I am a Kimpton fan...I really appreciate their pet policies, environmental policies, and of course the wine hour! This stay was quite enjoyable overall.

I traveled to San Diego to participate in the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon and celebrate my birthday with friends. This location was ideal. It was located midway between the race start and finish which made it easy to walk to/from each. The hotel definitely stepped up its service by providing runners with bananas, oatmeal, peanut butter, granola bars, and plenty of coffee and water in the wee hours of the morning before the race. This touch was spectacular for those of us wondering how we would get our pre-race fuel at 4:30 in the morning! I got many well wishes from the staff and even woke to a good luck sign on my door the morning of the race!!!

The Saltbox restaurant and bar is nice and has a decent selection on the days you don't feel like wandering too far. That said, the hotel is located in a great area, so it's very easy to walk to a ton of restaurants and bars. There is plenty of variety in the area.

The spa was a wonderful on site treat also. It was comfortable, quiet, and my facial was great. My friend and I also enjoyed a glass of champagne which was a nice touch.

I have to call out Gilbert as one of the most pleasant individuals I've ever encountered in the hotel business. From the minute he greeted my friends and me, he was so pleasant. He took an interest in what we were doing and how he could help; he always had a smile and useful suggestions. Genuine friendliness in this day and age is a rare gem.

The only suggestion I have is that the Palomar needs to make an effort to inform guests about pool availability prior to their stay if possible. The pool was closed early/inaccessible 3 nights of my stay (once for a business gathering of some sort, once for a wedding, and apparently once for some pricey pool party I hadn't been informed of upon check in). I wish I could have used the pool a bit more.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. It's not flashy or frilly but it is exactly what I wanted in a hotel for this getaway...small, boutique-y, and friendly. Little touches go a long way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors to avoid the possibility of encountering noise due to events or t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thanks Susie for such a nice review. I'm glad you were able to meet Gilbert our all star. I'm also glad to read you appreciated the pre-marathon snacks we put out. We love hosting all of you runners. Thanks for the heads up on the pool. We do post the event schedule on our website. But we will make sure we try and let everyone know in advance.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed at their sister hotel Solamar so it's the high time we give Palomar a try, nothing disappointed. Neat & Modern Room (was given high floor rooms with verandah, excellent view) higher floor helped pretty much over the weekend from the pool party's noise, decent amenities which refilling daily no mater used or not. Wine tasting and free coffee daily, decent free WIFI. Tried dinner and afternoon drinks at Saltbox, all excellent specially with afternoon happy hours. Location is one of the best. While the valet are all friendly and efficient, they did squeeze our van to the parking pole and denial until we found evidence which was not nice. Rest all are close to perfect.

Oh I believe it's high time to retire those aged leopard coat and gears in the closet, they took up a lot of space and looked scary then fun. I have seen it there in all Kimpton's too long time now.

Room Tip: end the walkway room, high floor with verandah
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

I'm glad you had another great Kimpton stay bom2535. We appreciate you giving the Palomar a try. You've stayed at both Kimpton Hotels in downtown San Diego. Make sure you try our sister property Hotel La Jolla next visit if you can venture out of downtown. Sorry you're getting tired of the robes. We still get a lot of great feedback on them. But we'll keep it in mind.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We had an amazing experience at this property. Joe, the front desk manager, is a service superstar - he made us feel immediately at home. The room was fantastic, food amazing (we did room service a lot given we had our daughter with us) and the service great. Attentive valets, coffee in the morning and a very cool hotel vibe. The pool is fabulous too! Thank you, all!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Carolyn F

Thanks for such a great review Carolyn F. I'm so happy you and your family had such a nice visit. Thanks for the shout out for Joe. We agree, he is one of our Rock Stars.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.