“Great friendly hostel”

Hostelling International San Diego Downtown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Husband and I stayed for five nights during October and we found the hostel to be one of the best we have stayed in. We are both light sleepers and requested a quiet room if possible and we were given a room overlooking the internal small courtyard with large ensuite bathroom. Our room was quite large, as large as some of the hotels we have stayed in, even had an easy chair for us to relax in. Hostel was very clean and all staff very friendly and helpful and the free breakfast each morning was a definite bonus. It was party night in the streets outside hostel on Saturday 26th October and we wondered whether the noise would reach us, but know did not hear a sound. Hostel very central and within walking distance of most places one wants to visit, especially handy to the Green Trolley line and buses, we caught bus to the Zoo and another day to Balboa park just to save our legs. Hostel staff very knowledgeable on how to get to places of interest, even came up with bolt cutters to cut the lock on husbands suitcase when he discovered his key was missing. We had a really good time at your hostel and visiting San Diego and would recommend it to all ages, incidentally we are two seniors.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper please request a quiet room when you book.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wilma R
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

So glad we could host you. Please come back and visit with us again should your travels bring you back to San Diego.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed in October with the wife for 3 nights before heading down to Mexico. Booked online with HI Hostels direct. Booked a double with shared bathroom. The room was delightful. Very clean, private sink in room with fresh towels and clean sheets on the large comfy double bed. WI-FI didn’t work one day, but on the other two days had no issue getting it in our room. There was some kind of hostel wide technical fault. Basic breakfast and coffee is provided for all guests.

The location is perfect for the Gaslamp. Hopped on a 922 bus from San Diego airport straight to Broadway and 5t. The walk down to Market street is about 5-7 mins. Loads around you to eat and drink yourself silly with good transport links.

Loved it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Glad to hear your stay with us was so well-liked. Safe travels and I hope we may host you again!

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I was in San Diego for a medical conference at the convention center. Hostelling International had everything I could ask for: excellent good location, clean, extremely friendly staff and of course good room tariffs. I stayed in one of the lady dorms (this being my first time) and enjoyed the experience throughly. I am a sound sleeper, so i did not really have issues with background noise as mentioned in some of the previous reviews. Very highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
norcalitaliana, Owner at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Congratulations on your first hostel stay! I am happy we were here to host you, and I hope you are able to return for future stays. Travel safe.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I'm a girl and I was traveling alone. I was nervous about staying there by myself... but I had a blast. I met awesome people, It's very safe, the location is amazing, the staff is great. Everybody is very friendly. Free breakfast every morning. The best hostel ever...
Only bad thing ...it's very noisy. The hostel is in downtown in a very busy street, which is great to hang out .... but don't forget your hearplugs.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

It is true: the location is amazing, but can be noisy. I encourage readers and future guests to please request a quiet room (we have rooms that face into our interior garden or to the rooftop of the building next door) if you know you are a light sleeper, and we will always do our best to accommodate that request. Safe travels to you and thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

Having stayed in many hostels in my time, I have to say that this one is definitely one of the very best. The location was perfect being close to everything you would want to be close to. The whole staff team were consistently friendly and helpful and gave us a warm welcome on arrival. The hostel itself was very clean and had a lot of character - with cool pieces of art all over the place. Whoever decides what to put up around the place deserves a medal. The kitchen was great and very well equipped and the breakfast was awesome. We chose a double room which was more like a hotel room than a hostel double room. It had a big double bed, a basin in the corner and plenty of space to move around (often hostel double rooms are cramped).

If/when I return to San Diego I would have no reason to look anywhere else. Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Thank you for your stay and taking the time to leave a review! Much of the artwork is a remnant of our quarterly art shows, so all the art is local, or is made by a local. Safe travels to you and I hope if you should have the opportunity to return to SD we are able to host you again.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Finding reasonably priced accommodation in California seems to be tricky. I booked a private room at the hostel,as it was cheaper than a hotel. The room was big,with good bathroom. My one complaint is now stuffy it was. This was very noticeable every time you came in from the hallway. Even with the air conditioning and fan on, I kept my door open for sometime to get some air flow. A window to open would have been better. But it was a quiet room over the courtyard,so if you want to avoid the traffic and restaurant noise on the street,request one of these rooms.
The kitchen is new and well maintained,there's space to hang out in the common areas,and the whole place was we clean.if not a little chipped and worn here and there.
The best part was the staff. They were all so incredibly friendly and helpful,and go beyond just answering your questions,they anticipate things you might need to know. Some hostels can be too busy to take this kind of care,so well done.
The location is in the middle of Gaslamp,so great if you want to be going out. It's also easy to get to the trolley and buses,so a great base for your trip.

Room Tip: Get a courtyard room to avoid late night noise if you're looking to rest up at night
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review with such valuable information in it! Kudos to you for trying out a Hostel in lieu of a hotel, too. Safe travels to you!

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend in a private room with ensuite (210). It was my first experience of a hostel and I wasn't disappointed.
We walked in and friendly staff greeted us and helped us with our bags.
The room was fairly big with a bunk bed (one double, one single). Had a big shower. Nice wash area and places to hang clothes and put away things.

The only bad things really was that the wifi only really works in the communal areas but that isn't really a problem, the room was veryyyyy noisy as it is facing right out to the pubs and clubs.

Breakfast was ok, nothing to shout about but good as it was free. Kitchen was spotless!

The staff were so lovely I cannot fault this hostel. And I am so pleasantly surprised by it because I was expecting it to be horrid but I really liked it. Would definitely recommend !

• Stayed: September 2013
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Congratulations on your first hostel stay! You make a few good points: the wi-fi is typically best in common areas (especially with rooms that face out onto the street, there tends to be a lot of interference from other networks); we have private rooms that face into the interior garden that I recommend people request in advance if they know they will need peace and quiet. I hope you have many pleasant stays at other hostels in the future! Safe travels to you.