Hostelling International San Diego Downtown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Metz, France
“San Diego”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stay here on my vacation last month and it was very nice. The staff is friendly and it is cleaned. There is a good location for the hostel with lots of good places near it. I met some very nice people in the hostel. Would like to stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Safe travels and we hope to host you next time you return to San Diego!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a private room with a shared bath. This hostel has a pool table & a beautiful kitchen! Staff was helpful, place was clean. It is right in the center of gaslamp district which is a big partying part of town. This being said, they do not share in the parties. No alcohol allowed on the premises. Breakfast options were bread, peanut butter, jelly, oatmeal, cereal and some fruit. Now we were there on NYE & the surroundings were busy & loud way into the early morning. This did not bother us but for people more sensitive to noise, keep this is mind:)

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review and future guests your insight. Happy New Year to you!
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Amazing hostel!
Localization: the best in San Diego (Gaslamp)
Very clean, organized. The staff is polite and helpful.The price is little expensive for a hostel, but it 's faire. I strongly recommend!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Renato_Santoro
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Renato, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us so well! Safe travels and a Happy New Year to you.
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Bars and restaurants right outside the door to the hostel! Lots of noise, so ask for an inside room if you need more quiet, but just a wonderful location in an old building with lots of character. Don't look for a spotless "perfect" hotel experience here, but for people who love the hostel experience and know what to expect, this cannot be beat! Ask for a look around first if you're in town and curious, the staff will be glad to help. I stay here every year when in town for a conference, and I'd do it even if the room wasn't half the cost of the conference location.

Room Tip: GO for inside rooms for the quiet, and go for a private room (with AC) if you need it. I prefer the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for your continued support and taking the time to leave a review. Safe travels and a happy new year!
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 9 December 2013

As middle-aged adults, my wife and I have stayed here more times than I can count. The availability of private, en suite rooms and a Gaslamp Quarter location that can't be beat are the foundation. The staff have always, over the years, been great. (But oh how I miss the make-your-own pancakes.)

Travelers unfamiliar with the hosteling experience may need to adjust their expectations to the laid-back vibe. Hope for an interior room away from 5th or Market Streets.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Always happy to host return guests! No need to hope for an interior room; we will do our best to fill this request as long as it is made in advance! Thank you and safe travels.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 6 December 2013

If you want to be near nightlife then this is a good location its right in the heart of the gaslamp quarter of san diego. The issues i have with this place is that there is no free parking for cars you have to pay cityrates for your car which can be easily $15/day. Also, noise is a constant issue from the outside environment. However, location wise its very near the trolley stop so its easy to get around san diego without a car.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Greetings and thank you for your stay (and taking the time to leave a review!). Parking is definitely at a premium in the downtown area of San Diego. We are fortunate to have several lots/garages in a very close vicinity to our building that will charge you on average between $12-$20/day (while most hotels downtown charge about $35/day!). Whenever possible, I do strongly recommend people leave the car at home and take the bountiful public transit that is within blocks of our front door. Safe Travels!
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Great staff, very friendly and helpful with finding my way around the city. I was very pleased with their service.

On arrival they let me check in early and gave me my keys, they also provided maps and explained to me I could get discounted zoo tickets from them. I unpacked my bags and returned to reception to take them up on the offer. They told me which trams to get and when they would be coming.

I would stay at this Hostel again, though it was cheap and cheerful, the staff made my stay so much better after a long trip from Flagstaff

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for the kind words, and I hope we can host you again in the future! Safe travels to you.