“Great choice to visit San Diego!”

Hostelling International San Diego Downtown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had to attend a convention at the San Diego Convention Center and I picked this Hostel because it was pretty close of the convention and very cheap compared to all the big hotel chains nearby. I never regretted it! First, it is situated in the Gaslamp district wich is a beautifull place, filled with gorgeous Victorian buildings, restaurants, and nightlife. The hostel is clean, I was in a 4 beds dorm. I loved the vibe of the Hotel... There's a large communal kitchen where they offer free breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpfull, they provided me with a map and tips about the city and they gave me the right informations to take a bus to the San Diego zoo. I was able to find everything I needed, like a bank, post office and grocery store, thanks to them. Of course, this is a hostel, it might be a little different of the hotel chains you are used to... but it is a great opportunity to really feel what San Diego is all about... They have dorms of different sizes and also bedrooms, if you prefer some intimacy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank emilieroyb

Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Located in the epicentre of San Diego nightlife, this hostel is a cheap alternative to hotels in the area. Dont expect eggs and bacon for breakfast, but you get carbs up the wazoo. Also rooms lack power outlets to each bed. Therefore you have to trust your roomates. Also the lockers are dated. They fix this. They will get better reviews

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for the feed back, demolitionrob. Lockers are actually high on our to-do list and we should have all new ones by the end of the Summer or Fall! Safe Travels and a happy summer to you!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We had a private room which looked out on to the bustling streets of downtown San Diego which was very cool to see, but a little noisy at night, the staff were really friendly and always welcoming even gave us some ear plugs for the noise at night. The hostel was always clean and the bathrooms were kept clean through out the day. Definetly worth the stay if you want to experience the heart of San Diego and gas lamp quater. Unfortunately parking around the area is really expensive with $1 per hour or $15 for 24 hours which is located across the street, a lot of the other parking areas don't allow overnight parking. But apart from that the hostel catered for our needs and has made us want to come back to San Diego :)! Thank you HI staff at San Diego downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank 92Claire
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of hostels over the years all over the world and have never been disappointed in one, until now.

The building itself is centrally located and the staff are mostly friendly, did get one desk person who didn't seem that interested in what she was saying but the rest were friendly and helpful.

Had booked in to a private room with bunk beds and whilst the room was a fair size the cleanliness left a lot to be desired. The bed sheets and pillows had not been washed since the last person had slept in them and stank of stale people and sweat. The sheets themselves were stained (one was a very suspicious white stain too...) which wasn't the nicest experience. The towels didn't smell much better either.

The breakfast on offer was good (although it did say pancake breakfast somewhere but it was toast/preserves/fruit/cereal) and the games room was nice so all in all it was ok and whilst you don't expect it to emulate the Hilton you do expect a certain degree of cleanliness like clean sheets.

One the website it says parking nearby and it is.. in quite an expensive lot opposite the hostel ($1 per hour or $15 for 24 hours) or you can park for free about 10 blocks away in a rather shady end of town. We did that on the second day to avoid more parking costs, if you have a car it is worth budgeting that in during your travels or at least being aware of that.

This is generally the exception for HI Hostels as every other one I have stayed in has been really good in terms of amenities and cleanliness and reading other reviews perhaps I got unlucky on that occasion. If I came back to San Diego I would give them another try but I really hope the sheets are clean next time!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DebbieMorgan84
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I gotta say not what I was expecting. Our private room with private bathroom and AC unit was really clean. Everything was modern and artsy. The only thing I'd have to say bad about this place was that the elevators really slow and smells like a Hippy's buttcrack when you get inside. Haha. No curfew and it was really laid back. Don't bank on breakfast to fill you up though, it was just cantelope and toast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Congratulations on your first hostel stay, we're always happy to host new hostellers! The elevator is a little slow, but it's the one we've got (and, boy, are we glad it's there!). For future guests: breakfast does have fresh fruit and several varieties of bread, but also includes hot and cold cereals; tea, coffee, hot cocoa; regular and soy milk. Thank you again and safe travels to you!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed there for New Years Eve. The location is perfect, in the middle of Gaslamp Quarter. But the bedrooms were old, and the elevantors and some bathrooms were not working well. The breakfast was very good.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Ana, thank you for the stay and taking the time to review us! You bring up some points that we are currently working on addressing: we are remodeling many parts of the interior building, including some bathrooms, hallways/common spaces, and rooms. I hope you have the opportunity to come back and tell us what you think! Safe Travels to you.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

It was my first time staying in a hostel and I have to say I had a great time. By far the best service I've had in a while. The always have the best info of stuff to do,eat,and to visit. Vo gave the best service ever had. They have therapeutic beds location is great and they do offer great food selections. I would definitely recommend this to everyone I know. Thank you for a great time. Til next time.
Junior

• Stayed: May 2014
norcalitaliana, Manager at Hostelling International San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Junior, Thank you for the kind recommendation and I hope we may host you again next time you travel through San Diego. Take Care!