“Great little property”

Ranked #146 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great little property”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I got a fantastic deal on a 2 bedroom suite from Groupon. The room was nice and the view out the bedroom windows was great. It was nice to open the bedroom window at night and hear the sound of waves breaking on the rocks. I wish the lower patio deck had been opened but it was closed for repairs. The view is incredible and the Sunset Cliffs Trails is right on the other side of the hotel.

There were some minor issues with the room as in rust on the bathroom light fixture and what I think was black mold growing on the ceiling in the second guest room.

If you can get a good deal to stay here, I would stay. A bit more touch up repair is needed, but overall the room and property were clean.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had booked a room at this hotel last weekend for two nights based on the reviews on trip advisor. I am normally confident in booking rooms based on what I have read on here and have not been disappointed until now. I can't believe nor understand the reviews about this place.

We checked in Friday afternoon and got room 106, about as far away from the ocean as you can get at this place. We walk inside the room and discover that the room size is about as big as my master bedroom. There is literally no where to put your luggage except in the closet which is about 2 feet from the bed. The bed itself is a mattress on a wooden frame, was noisy when you sat on it and had no box spring which means no support and I sure felt that when I woke up in the morning. It appears that there has been some renovations in the bathroom with a walk in shower with two shower heads and newer tiling. At the same time, the light fixture in the bedroom had a base that was covered in rust and the paint on the ceiling and one corner of the bathroom leading up to the ceiling, was peeling and not just a little, it was noticeable. There was no view of the ocean and you can't hear the ocean from your room although I would imagine that you can hear it when booking a 300 dollar room at the end of the building. No thanks. Besides, it was much more fun laying in bed at 1am listening to people above us walk back and forth and the odd yelling between the group to grab someones attention. At least we could watch TV, which is about the size of my computer monitor at home.
We walked outside to see the magnificent view of the ocean and it was a beautiful view. The bottom terrace was roped off. I thought it may have been because I noticed some severe deterioration of the right side of the terrace that sagged enough that there were holes on the floor. We were told later it was because the wind was strong. It was opened up after we spoke to the front desk.
The pool seemed nice. It is noted in your room to leave your towels there because there are towels available at the pool. There was a family swimming at the time and there were no towels in the towel rack. We later saw an employee bring out 5 towels which was enough for the family. Not sure what would have happened for towels if other people came out to swim. Most places keep their towel racks full when the pool is open.

We had seen enough and were not impressed. We notified the front desk that we would be checking out in the morning (you can't cancel your first night). The manager was there and asked if there was a problem and my better half explained that we were disappointed with the room and that it looked like nothing they had in the pictures they have on their web site. It is important to note that the manager did offer to upgrade us but we declined. The lack of detail with the pool, the apparent weak structure of the lower terrace and the renovated rooms with rust and peeling paint in the bathrooms and the uncomfortable bed put a bad taste in our mouth.
Closest restaurants are about 5 blocks away. We walked it because we were concerned about losing our parking space as there isn't enough parking to accommodate everyone.

I will never stay at this hotel again. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Some people on here have said there is exceptional value for money. I find that kind of funny because if you think paying almost 300 a night in order not to have to move sideways to pass someone in your room is value for money, then you either haven't traveled much or common sense isn't one of your assets. Honestly, you can stay on the bay side facing a great view of the city for the same money with many good restaurants nearby and is about 10 minutes away from this place. You could always drive to sunset cliffs and park a block away from this hotel, walk onto the cliffs, sit down and do your navel gazing or surf watching from there.

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay big bucks for a motel style room with space, go for it. Poolside queens...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank westcanguy
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your opinion matters. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. This is something we do not like to have and are not use to. The hotel is designed after Santorini, Greece. The Poolside queen is our most economical room, we have many other suites on site to choose from that are much larger. The manger did offer you the free upgrade but your decline did not allow you to experience anything else. The ocean views have quite the wave sounds. Our pool is very well maintained and the pool towels will be brought to attention. We will be updating the room as we have done to many others. Thank you for bringing attention to the items you have mentioned. The lower terrace is closed due to safety from the "waves" not the wind. Waves crash over onto our property daily. We must watch to tide and close the lower terrace for safety as one wave could totally wipe you out. We cannot predict the ocean but in the summer the lower terrace is open everyday. All photos provided are by our previous guest. We want them to speak for themselves. and not over sell. Thank you and hope you have future safe travels.
Ormeau, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently for a friend's wedding nearby. The hotel is located in a great location half way along Point Loma. It is an older style hotel but was renovated in the mid 2000's. The view from the pool area is beautiful and relaxing. Staff are friendly and very accommodating of your needs. Parking can be a bit of a pain Friday or Saturday nights and can be a challenge as the hotel parking and spare lot fill up if you have driven out for dinner. The plane noise is also a little loud till around 10:00 pm. Overall an enjoyable stay and a great area to eat at and explore away for the city.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Grapevine Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay. It's centrally located, the staff is friendly, there is parking, it's on the ocean, the view is spectacular, the grounds are meticulously kept and the value for your dollar is right on. We stayed in a two bedroom, one bath unit (#208) with a kitchen and spacious living room. There were four of us, and we had tons of space. One bedroom had a walk-in closet and there were ample closets in the hallway. The kitchen had almost everything we needed to cook Christmas dinner. We packed picnics every day. There's a convenience store across the street with wine and ice cream. What more could you want? Well, to be very specific, you could use a cutting board, a whisk, more silverware, a DVD player, an added lamp in each room of the condo and MUCH MUCH MUCH better wi-fi. ;-) Also, don't forget your sturdy shoes, because when the fog rolls in, the upper sidewalks get slippery!

Room Tip: I understand some of the rooms are quite small. Ours was #208, and it was HUGE.
3 Thank khbDallas_Texas
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed 30 December 2013

If you are wondering where to stay in San Diego, THIS IS THE PLACE!!! You will be AMAZED at the view, the wonderful vibe, and the oh so friendly staff!!!! The gardens on the property are beautiful and the flowers smell so wonderful. You can relax and watch the sunset right on the terrace with a glass of wine. This is something you don't want to miss. I love the outside fireplace, so cozy in the evening!!! It is a super tranquil, relaxing, and heavenly experience!!! Walk right outside your door to the best view in all of San Diego!!! Quite simply put: Stay here, and you will return again and again!!!!

Room Tip: Every room in this Inn is wonderful!!!!
1 Thank Eileen H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel has it all. Charming rooms, excellent staff and a million dollar view. Drinking wine and watching the sunset from the hotel's spacious terrace was the highlight of my trip. The sound of the waves lulled me into a deep sleep every night of my stay which - trust me - is no small feat. I usually wouldn't take the time to write a review, but after enjoying such a wonderful stay, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. I can't wait to go back!

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I am so amazed at all the wonderful reviews. My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs for three nights last week. Yes, the view is amazing, the location ideal for walking/running along the cliffs and visiting the restaurants and shops of Ocean Beach. The staff is very pleasant (And very young. I'm the mother of two twenty-somethings. I like them. But sometimes...), and the bathroom is new and clean. I especially liked the large walk-in shower. Having a fridge and microwave was nice, too (They are in the closet). The bed was comfortable for sleeping. We could not hear the ocean (windows had to be kept closed and the heat on), but the fountain right outside our door provided a restful sound. Indeed, many positives.

However, there are also many negatives. For one, the lower patio, the one closest to the ocean, is painted blue cement. It is cracked, chipped, and uneven. In short, ugly .The gardens have great potential, but there were many dead flowers and leaves on most of the plants. It took a lot of effort on my part to keep from pinching them off. We had one of the small rooms. It is VERY small. My husband and I were constantly bumping into one another, and we are not big people. There was nowhere to sit except the bed. There was only one bedside lamp, so both of us could not read in bed at the same time. And that light was dim. The bed has a footboard that juts out quite far, into a very narrow space. We bumping into it several times, and have the bruises to prove it. There is a large space between the headboard and the mattress, so if you try to put a few pillows there to sit up and read, they fall behind the bed. There is no dresser, so my things went into the closet and the bedside table and on top if the useless desk that is located in a narrow alcove. My husband lived out of his suitcase. AND, the wireless was very spotty during our stay, to the dismay of my husband. He stays up later than I do, and usually likes to surf the Internet after I go to sleep. He tried! While laying on the floor with his coat under his head. It was too cold to sit outside while we were there (50s during the day, 40s at night). I imagine he would have been happier if he could have used the tables and chairs there in the evening. The Inn had cute Christmas decorations on their small front lawn, but the staff never plugged them in. Had to sit on my hands to keep from doing that, too. :-)

I don't seek posh in my accomodations. I prefer places that are unique to an area and not stuffy. From reading most the reviews, the Inn at Sunset Cliffs seemed ideal. But really, not so much...

Room Tip: Spring for one of the bigger rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple