“Great little hotel - great service”

Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center
Ranked #159 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
St. George's
“Great little hotel - great service”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I must say that I enjoyed my stay at Comfort Inn Gaslamp. I was not disappointed after reading the positive reviews of the hotel.

From the get go, the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff made me feel at ease when I checked in. Mike and Ana who I met at the front desk when I arrived, were all smiles and ensured that I felt satisfied with my room.

The rooms are cozy and have all the amenities and conveniences that I could ask for- comfortable pillows, free earplugs, free WiFi, microwave, complimentary tea, coffee, water and popcorn!, mini fridge, TV with free cable and pay per view movies, free local calls .....

Breakfast was also part of the package, which offered simple but fulfilling options: fruit, waffles, eggs, sausages, pastry, bread, cold cereal, juices, hot beverages, yogurt etc. They even have complimentary fruit and hot beverages throughout the day which is a nice touch.

The location cant be beat, as it is right in the Gaslamp and close to restaurants (Buca di Beppo is on the same block), bars, movie theatre on the next block, same street as Horton's shopping plaza, etc.

if you are sensitive to noise, being in the city area with the occasional siren, you have the option of using your earplugs or turning on the fan or AC which helps to drown out outside noises.

It takes about 10 mins or less to get to the convention center walking, or its a 5 dollar cab fare. The hotel offers a complimentary pickup from the airport. To the airport they can call you a cab. I however, booked with Super Shuttle and I paid $5 to get to the airport.

I really cant think of anything negative to say about the hotel. I had a good experience and would definitely return if I were to visit San Diego again.

One bit of advice is to book directly through their website to get discounts on your stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Wow!!!! what a great review. I really appreciate the time you spent writing it. Thank you for your business.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I primarily picked this hotel as the cost of parking was the lowest I could find in the Gaslamp Quarter. However, I wasn't disappointed - for £60 a night I got a small but, clean room, breakfast included, free wifi, cable tv, microwave, fridge and tea/coffee in my room. Room was cleaned daily by very friendly house keeping staff. The only down side was the noise from the street - rooms are single glazed so not that sound proof but, I was on the top floor (3rd) which helped. If you want an affordable hotel that is located in the gaslamp then this is the hotel for you. Well above expectations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I appreciate your business and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. All the best, Cris Vasquez
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I had a horrible experience at this hotel which was very disappointing because I have stayed at many comfort inn locations previously with no issues. The condition of this hotel is DEFINITELY misrepresented online. While the staff was friendly and housekeeping seems to have done its best with what it's got, everything was old and outdated. I didn't feel safe parking in the lot then walking to the front, and when I got into the room I was very surprised to find the bathroom SINK was next to the BED (this is the layout for the single double bed rooms). The carpet was disgusting, windows are not soundproofed, the "cooling unit" is an old window air conditioner, the bed was extremely uncomfortable, and it sounded like an elephant was staying above me. My coffee maker did not work (by this point I was so appalled by the stay I didn't even bother reporting it to the front desk). The worst part was at 12:30am I was woken by someone trying to get into my room. Apparently the front desk gave a set of keys to the same room for both of us!

I don't feel like I should have paid even half of what I paid to stay there one night. I cancelled the rest of my reservation immediately upon arriving and checked into a holiday inn the next day. I don't want anyone else to be unpleasantly surprised like me and waste money. I have NO idea why this hotel has as many stars in reviews online as it does .. it's in the top 3 of the worst hotel experiences I've ever had (counting third world countries).

Room Tip: To stay in a good room stay at the Holiday Inn Airport - Old Town instead. It's 10 minutes away...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank kelbel487
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Hello, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I just want to point out that our hotel was completely remodeled and there is nothing "old" in the hotel. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
Denver, co
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Of course, being right downtown, you're going to pay more. This is probably the least expensive place in Gaslamp, or among them.

Smallish room, but comfortable and clean. Easy walking to the Gaslamp restaurants/bars etc.

Overall a nice experience. Breakfast included in the morning. Parking $18/night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank agolddog
Thank you kindly for your review. We appreciate your business.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights and enjoyed the stay. The double room is small but it still has many amenities like wifi, refrigerator, microwave and the typical Comfort Inn free breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times. The location is great. Within easy walking distance of dozens of restaurants and a short drive (10 minutes) to the zoo. The only complaint I would have is that the window was not sealed well nor was it sound dampening so noises from the outside could be heard quite clearly in the room and we were on the 4th floor. Parking is available and is conveniently located behind the hotel but costs $18 a night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much! It is an honor to receive such a nice review from a senior contributor.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown San Diego. A gazillion restaurants are within walking distance, as is the convention center. The hotel is clean and the staff is courteous. The room was small and had a window unit. There was a nice flat screen TV and cable, as well as free internet. The business center consisted of 2 computers and a printer and worked great. The breakfast was great. It was a serve yourself breakfast. Breakfast choices included waffles, yogurt, bagels, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee, tea, water, and juice. The breakfast area was in two rooms, and had a television. I will definitely stay here again, compared to the next available hotel that was $60 more per night. Oh, the window unit was bit loud but I like background noise when I sleep.

Room Tip: The rooms are small, so plan accordingly.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thank you very much for your business. We appreciate the time you took to review us as well.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights. Two days after checked out, I was billed for an extra $50 for the room. I was told that the billing was for a broken picture. This picture was broken when I checked in. That's not fair!!!! “Absolutely horrific - DO NOT STAY HERE”

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Pongthorn N
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear guest., Your room was inspected during your stay while housekeeping was cleaning your room. On one of those days they did report the picture glass was broke and they cleaned up the glass. We assumed it to be an accident and charged your folio. We are confident that the picture was broke during your stay. Please call us and speak to Jessica in billing if you have any further questions. As you can see from our reviews, we have a high level of customer service and we would not charge a charge that we do not feel was accurate. Regards, Cris