“Avoid/avoid getaroom.com!”

Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center
Ranked #155 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've reviewed more than 180 hotels around the world now, but this was the worst rip-off ever.

The terrible experience started when we arrived: the lady behind the counter didn't even stand up to greet us. She was overweight but by far not handicapped, so this wouldn't be too much to ask for.

The room we were given was an effectively windowless single, with a bed really hardly big enough for one adult. We complained at the reception because we had booked a king bed with getaroom.com, but the lady blamed getaroom.com. I really don't want to defend getaroom.com but at very least the management of this hotel is Machiavelian and cash-hungry enough to rent out this kind of room to two people and charge $240 for it, what I consider obscene.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank terbang
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It's a little hard for me to share your review with the staff about sitting down since you mentioned a fat lady. However, I will remind them that they should stand up and greet customers as they arrive. Thank you for your review.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The front desk staff members were consistently outstanding. They answered my questions about public transportation, directions, and gym access thoroughly and courteously. In terms of public transportation, for the San Diego trolley, they had a fare card they loaned me to use for a day; the hotel keeps it on hand for guests, which makes things more convenient when you're using the trolley system (one less step to getting a card and adding money to it). In terms of gym access, this hotel does something that more hotels would be smart to emulate: it offers access to a gym down the street. I quickly realized that with the location and consistently beautiful weather, running was the better option, but I really appreciated gym access as well (as opposed to what I am more accustomed to: a workout room with one or two treadmills, an ancient elliptical trainer or stair master, a weathered-looking machine for strength training, and maybe one awkwardly placed TV set).

The free breakfast was good and hassle-free to get (I've been places, especially in cities, where I had to show some sort of proof that I was staying at the hotel to get the breakfast).

The room was small, but adequate for my significant other and me, and configured well, so that it felt more spacious than it was.

The location was pretty terrific as well—less than a mile, I believe, to Balboa Park; near a real range of good restaurants; and also a mile or so from the waterfront.

There were only three downsides: the carpet, which I think may have been dirty (I kept noticing dark footprints I had left on the bathmat in the shower); the wifi, which was kind of feeble; and the noise level. I am a quiet junkie; I sleep every night with ear plugs even when I'm in a quiet environment, and nothing bugs me more than noise when I'm trying to sleep—so please consider that in reading these comments. The room we stayed in was in a corner, and there didn't seem to be much noise from one room to another. But I could sometimes hear a lot of noise from folks walking overhead, and noise from the street was pretty loud (construction noise, traffic, and sometimes just people walking by and talking—I think something about the city architecture, topography, or weather makes sound carry really well). I can sleep though a lot alongside my significant other, but if I had been traveling alone, the noise sometimes would have bothered me. At night we used a unit air conditioner in the room, which spread some nice white noise over everything else (and of course construction noise wasn't an issue then). During the day, if we opened the windows, it could be quite noisy. We were around on weekdays, and during prime construction work hours, so this would be a non-issue for anyone out of the room during the day. We were on the third floor, if that helps to know.

I hate to criticize a hotel for something (noise) that is beyond its control. But hopefully readers of this review will take into account the other perks of this hotel—like terrific customer service, location, and easy access to amenities like a workout facility and free breakfast—as well as its manageable price relative to nearby hotels—in considering whether to stay here. For someone less sensitive to noise than I am, who wants to be in the heart of the city and wants not to break the bank to do so, this hotel is a great option.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a nice review. I will share your review with the staff. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am a California resident and a legal patient for medical marijuana. During my stay at this hotel, I found a local dispensary and decided to replenish my meds before I headed back home to East Chula Vista. Since I don't drive it's hard to get around there due to lack of public transportation.
Anyway, I only smoke joints. If I was smoking in that small room, someone would have smelled it! Or the smoke alarm would have went off! What the maid smelled when she checked the room, right after I left, was the marijuana itself, not burning! I even went up to the room with the manager, no smoke! It did smell like marijuana, but I just left the room after rolling one up! That manager knows he is stealing my money, he even said "come on man, you know you were smoking in there", trying to convince me what I was doing! It's not possible to get away with smoking in that hotel! They are calling me a idiot and a liar! Not even one response from the GM after numerous emails. What a joke!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank borngood77
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent location in Downtown San Diego for bars,restaurants and transport links. Very helpful staff. The room is small but adequate. Free airport shuttle on arrival.Would stay there again. No faults!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Very nice. Thank you so much for the time you spent to review us.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is a budget hotel with a capital "B". If you are looking for a place just to sleep, this will probably be a very good alternative to a hotel. Are you in San Diego on business, and expect to also get a little work done, I would recommend a hotel with a higher standard of service and facilities. Rooms are as small as they can get before turning into a closet. Do not get me wrong; you get what you pay for and nothing more. The hotel staff was very friendly, breakfast was ok - but nothing more!

Room Tip: Do not check in as one of the first ones on the day!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Comfort inn was a clean and well kept hotel in the gaslamp district. The location which was close
to restaurants and bars made it nice for not having a car. Also close to a lot of attractions and
the ball park. If needed public transportation was easy to catch. The hotel was old but clean with
refrigerator and microwave. The free breakfast was a nice touch also. Only down side was the
room was small but for me traveling alone was not a problem. Hotel paid cab fair to airport.

Room Tip: Good price for gaslamp district
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The way every fits in their tiny rooms was amazing! We had all the essentials: TV, microwave, popcorn, coffee, fridge, and a full size bathroom! For a downtown hotel the rate and parking fee were the best around ~ we just needed a place to sleep! The was an outstanding continental breakfact in the morning and the staff was nice and friendly. Definately a place we will stay again!

Room Tip: B prepared to carry your luggage from the off site parking lot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna B

Thank you for your kind words. We really appreciate your business.