All reviews convention center great location window ac super shuttle street noise small room yogurt free shuttle from the airport eggs and sausage free breakfast coffee maker petco park basic hotel free internet access microwave and fridge restaurants and bars within walking distance
Reviewed 29 June 2014

For a downtown hotel with limited space the owners have done a good job with this property. It's very clean and updated. The lobby has a nice sitting/living room and patio area. The breakfast room is large and has one of the best breakfasts I've ever seen at a Comfort Inn.

They advertise an airport shuttle which is actually vouchers for Super Shuttle/cab service. Better than waiting on a hotel van in my opinion.

Front desk staff was extremely professional and friendly. The room was very small, typical of an inner-city hotel. However everything seemed newly renovated. Bed was very comfortable, there were plenty of plug-ins for charging phones, etc.

Being in the middle of the Gaslamp District it can be a noisy, hence why complimentary earplugs are provided. I put the a/c on fan mode and I always travel with a sound spa. This drown out most of the traffic/noise and it didn't bother me (and I'm a light sleeper).

Overall great value and great location in the middle of downtown/Gaslamp San Diego.

Room tip: Ask for a higher floor/near the back to get as far from traffic as possible.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank trAAveler85
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all of your kind words. I hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've reviewed more than 180 hotels around the world now, but this was the worst rip-off ever.

The terrible experience started when we arrived: the lady behind the counter didn't even stand up to greet us. She was overweight but by far not handicapped, so this wouldn't be too much to ask for.

The room we were given was an effectively windowless single, with a bed really hardly big enough for one adult. We complained at the reception because we had booked a king bed with getaroom.com, but the lady blamed getaroom.com. I really don't want to defend getaroom.com but at very least the management of this hotel is Machiavelian and cash-hungry enough to rent out this kind of room to two people and charge $240 for it, what I consider obscene.

Date of stay: June 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank terbang

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It's a little hard for me to share your review with the staff about sitting down since you mentioned a fat lady. However, I will remind them that they should stand up and greet customers as they arrive. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

The front desk staff members were consistently outstanding. They answered my questions about public transportation, directions, and gym access thoroughly and courteously. In terms of public transportation, for the San Diego trolley, they had a fare card they loaned me to use for a day; the hotel keeps it on hand for guests, which makes things more convenient when you're using the trolley system (one less step to getting a card and adding money to it). In terms of gym access, this hotel does something that more hotels would be smart to emulate: it offers access to a gym down the street. I quickly realized that with the location and consistently beautiful weather, running was the better option, but I really appreciated gym access as well (as opposed to what I am more accustomed to: a workout room with one or two treadmills, an ancient elliptical trainer or stair master, a weathered-looking machine for strength training, and maybe one awkwardly placed TV set).

The free breakfast was good and hassle-free to get (I've been places, especially in cities, where I had to show some sort of proof that I was staying at the hotel to get the breakfast).

The room was small, but adequate for my significant other and me, and configured well, so that it felt more spacious than it was.

The location was pretty terrific as well—less than a mile, I believe, to Balboa Park; near a real range of good restaurants; and also a mile or so from the waterfront.

There were only three downsides: the carpet, which I think may have been dirty (I kept noticing dark footprints I had left on the bathmat in the shower); the wifi, which was kind of feeble; and the noise level. I am a quiet junkie; I sleep every night with ear plugs even when I'm in a quiet environment, and nothing bugs me more than noise when I'm trying to sleep—so please consider that in reading these comments. The room we stayed in was in a corner, and there didn't seem to be much noise from one room to another. But I could sometimes hear a lot of noise from folks walking overhead, and noise from the street was pretty loud (construction noise, traffic, and sometimes just people walking by and talking—I think something about the city architecture, topography, or weather makes sound carry really well). I can sleep though a lot alongside my significant other, but if I had been traveling alone, the noise sometimes would have bothered me. At night we used a unit air conditioner in the room, which spread some nice white noise over everything else (and of course construction noise wasn't an issue then). During the day, if we opened the windows, it could be quite noisy. We were around on weekdays, and during prime construction work hours, so this would be a non-issue for anyone out of the room during the day. We were on the third floor, if that helps to know.

I hate to criticize a hotel for something (noise) that is beyond its control. But hopefully readers of this review will take into account the other perks of this hotel—like terrific customer service, location, and easy access to amenities like a workout facility and free breakfast—as well as its manageable price relative to nearby hotels—in considering whether to stay here. For someone less sensitive to noise than I am, who wants to be in the heart of the city and wants not to break the bank to do so, this hotel is a great option.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a nice review. I will share your review with the staff. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I am a California resident and a legal patient for medical marijuana. During my stay at this hotel, I found a local dispensary and decided to replenish my meds before I headed back home to East Chula Vista. Since I don't drive it's hard to get around there due to lack of public transportation.
Anyway, I only smoke joints. If I was smoking in that small room, someone would have smelled it! Or the smoke alarm would have went off! What the maid smelled when she checked the room, right after I left, was the marijuana itself, not burning! I even went up to the room with the manager, no smoke! It did smell like marijuana, but I just left the room after rolling one up! That manager knows he is stealing my money, he even said "come on man, you know you were smoking in there", trying to convince me what I was doing! It's not possible to get away with smoking in that hotel! They are calling me a idiot and a liar! Not even one response from the GM after numerous emails. What a joke!

1  Thank borngood77
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent location in Downtown San Diego for bars,restaurants and transport links. Very helpful staff. The room is small but adequate. Free airport shuttle on arrival.Would stay there again. No faults!

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Very nice. Thank you so much for the time you spent to review us.