“Location, location, location”
Review of La Pensione

La Pensione
Ranked #130 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After reading the reviews, I was a bit worried but we will be back since we loved it so....

The good:

After arriving by train, we walked to 8 blocks to the hotel. Safe neighborhoods and relatively easy walk, even with my difficulty walking.

The area surrounding the hotel was incredible, even at first sight. Check in was a breeze. The lobby was visually beautiful. We were the last ones to check in and I believe the hotel was booked up but you couldn't really tell since it feels very small and intimate. We had a room with a shared balcony that overlooked India and Date... the perfect view. Since I noted that it was a shared balcony, I made sure that that door remained locked. We had perhaps a full size bed? which is fine, since that it was we have at home. The room had no closet but plenty of storage space. The room was so beautiful and had plenty of room so not sure about the comments regarding how small the rooms were. Perhaps we were lucky. The windows had both shades and dark shading for the night so light was not an issue. All the staff were welcoming and helpful. I travel with my own hot spot so never really worried about wifi.

The City Center/Little Italy trolley stop is on the green line and is a quick 3 block walk...again, nice for me with my walking difficulties. Petco Park was only a few stops away at the Gaslamp Quarter stop. We took the trolley there and back and felt very safe both during the day and returning at night. Lots of people about.

The bad:

It was HOT and HUMID... like Washington, DC humid and the air conditioner only went down to 68. Perhaps most days or for most people that would be cool enough, but I was always a touch too warm, even keeping the shades pulled down.

The windows have got to be the thinnest windows in the planet. We were there during July 4th and it was noisy late in to the night and the garbage truck came at around 6 a.m. Brutal. Of course the air conditioner was quiet so that didn't provide white noise. On the last day I noticed a switch, which may or may not have been there to provide white noise but it was noisy so could have helped. The long of it was that we did not get a lot of sleep.

Again, we loved this hotel, the location, the price, the people and the room...even with the little thin windows that open but don't do much else! I'd pack something to help with diminish the noise so that drops this hotel to 4 stars but it truly is a gem! Thank you La Pensione for a lovely weekend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne M
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review and for the insightful feedback, both good and the bad. (glad to know there was no 'The Ugly'!) We're glad you enjoyed your stay, but sorry you didn't sleep well. July 4th was definitely a raucous night - it was noisy even in the usually quietest parts of the county. Either way, I will look into improving our guests' sound and sleep quality - that's vital for any type of getaway, right? Thank you also for your feedback on the temperature setting. I can see how - especially on the humid day that you were here - 68 degrees just didn't cut it.

I'm happy you still enjoyed your time here with us and glad to hear you'd come back. I hope it is soon!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel looks very nice from the outside and the rooms are modern with a nice finish and very clean. The bathroom was also very nice with a great shower. The rooms are very small, however I was expecting this from reading other reviews. The hotel is in a great location in Little Italy with loads of restaurants close by and it's a manageable walk to the waterfront attractions such as the USS Midway.

Ensure you ask for parking before you arrive as the car park was full when we arrived and we had to keep running outside to put change in the meter every fifteen minutes until 6pm, which was quite annoying when we had expected parking to be available.

Wifi wasn't available in the room for free which I think in this day and age should be included when you are paying a lot for a room, however as we were located overlooking the cafe, we managed to pick up the signal for the lobby wifi in our room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Natalie,

First off, thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to leave us a review! Sounds like you had fun exploring Little Italy and San Diego Bay. Yes, parking is definitely at a premium here, as it is in several parts of downtown San Diego. I know how you feel about running out often to pay the meters. I've had to do it myself when spaces were full in the neighborhood. Me and the owners are continuing to think of ways to alleviate the parking woes. In the meantime, thank you so much for your patience.

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a great hotel with friendly staff in a great location which we spent 4 very pleasant nights in.
The Saturday market is right on the doorstep and runs for about 4 blocks, the only down side is that it is quite noisy when they are setting up but not too bad.
The rooms are modern with good showers and Wi Fi available in the lobby.
There are loads of restaurants, coffee shops and some great bars in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello - thanks for the review! Saturday mornings are some of my favorite times of the week - only because of our awesome farmers market. I agree it gets a little noisy at the very beginning as all the vendors bring in their wares and set up their booths. But, all the cool food finds, local people watching and neighbor ambiance makes it all worth it!

I'm glad you had a chance to experience it and I hope you'll have another chance to see us again soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

A very attractive hotel but one of the smallest hotel rooms we have stayed in, and we have stayed in some pretty small ones travelling through Europe. No wardrobe, but plenty of drawers; no coffee facilities in the room or lobby - but there is a café downstairs where you can buy. No breakfast - again, the café. There is no room for luggage; there is literally no floor space large enough to put a suitcase - so luggage goes up on the desk.

Secure Wifi which worked well on the second floor. The bed is comfortable and the airconditioner is quiet and effective. The price is low, but not low enough for such a small room. The saving grace is the location - surrounded by restaurants and cafes, a quick stroll down to the bay, an easy walk to downtown in 15 minutes. The location lifts La Pension into fair value range.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RStuff

Thanks for the feedback and for choosing to stay with us. We're aware of our small rooms, and that's why we're able to offer some of the best prices you'll ever see in downtown San Diego, not just in the summer, but throughout the entire year. Locals know as being 'cheap and chic!"

Also, our smallest rooms only make up a small portion of our entire hotel. We do have larger rooms available - next time you visit (and I hope you will visit us again), please call us and request a room with more space. We have several repeat guests that do just that.

I'm happy you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay exploring San Diego and discovering awesome things within walking distance. I hope to see you in Little Italy again soon!

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

This quaint boutique hotel in the heart of Little Italy is the perfect placeto spend a romantic weekend. If you time it right you can also enjoy the Farmers Market on ASaturday. Loved the staff and the atmosphere!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lorretta5

Hello and happy belated birthday! Thanks for staying with us and for leaving us a review. Sounds like you had quite the fun, romantic birthday weekend. Happy you decided to celebrate it with us!

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived in San Diego and checked in early in the morning the gentleman at the reception desk was very helpful. Impressed with the decor but size of the room was a bit on the small side. Lighting at mirror was a bit dim made it tough to shave. Beds were so comfortable. We had a room facing the south street on the highest floor so noise was not a problem.
The area of Little Italy is amazing, great bars and restaurants. Friday night is pretty happening up and down the strip I can see why many people at the hotel would complain about noise. Saturday morning's Farmers Market was great! Live music fresh produce lots to eat and drink. We were only there 3 nights and we enjoyed our stay. We rented a car at the receptionists suggestion and parked at the hotel. This hotel is an affordable hotel in a great area with friendly service and comfortable beds!
PERFECT FOR US

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank moe2012

Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for the review! Thanks for your feedback about the lighting. I'll look into brightening that up in the rooms. Sounds like you knew how to 'live it up' during your stay. Glad you had fun in Little Italy and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have reviewed this hotel before, it was better when I was alone and came back to the room late at night and just slept there. As I said before , the smallest rooms ($119) ) are small, very, very, small. This time around I had luggage and there were two of us, it was pretty hard to navigate, kinda like ok, you go that way, and I'll go this way. If you need to be near Little Italy ( which I did) this is smack dab in the heart of it, that's the only plus I can the ally see.
Trying to sleep late, or come back to nap? Forget it, the coffee shop makes sure that doesn't happen, about once every minute they bang the espresso grind holder Bam! Bam! Bam! And sometimes a fourth Bam! Just to be sure everyone in the hotel is awake. This is not a boutique hotel, this is a motel six. Location, smocation, it's not worth it.
The staff is ok, but just ok, nothing to write home ( or in Trip Advisor) about. The hotel dog (Penny) is friendlier then the staff. So go if you want cheap, go if you want Little Italy at your doorstep.

Room Tip: There is a large room with two beds for extra $$
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tuscany1943
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

First off - thanks so much for trying us out a second time and bringing a guest! We're aware of the intimate size of our standard rooms, and are actually pretty happy with them, as they are considered one of the best travel deals in downtown San Diego.

And, as you mentioned, we do have larger rooms available at a slightly higher cost, just as any other hotel would charge more for different room types. If you book with any online travel agency, such as Expedia or Priceline, you'll automatically be booked in these rooms. However, you can always call us and we're happy to upgrade you.

Sorry if the noise woke you up. Since we're right in the middle of Little Italy, one of the livelier of downtown neighborhoods, you'll wake up to city sounds for sure. Personally, I consider it part of the charm of staying in an urban setting, but I realize not everyone is okay with city noise. And, not to disrespect our colleagues at Motel Six, but we are far from their concept and I'm sure all of our other past guests will agree.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time around. I hope you'll be able to make it back one day.