“Service is excellent, location is perfect.”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #101 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My tween son and I came down to San Diego to visit museums, and local attractions. We planned to stay here for a couple days and ending up extending our stay because the hotel is beautiful and the service is exceptional. We have a great room overlooking the bay.

As a Hilton Honors member I typically receive great treatment, but I was very impressed that they had upgraded our room when I arrived. For the room rate, I was expecting to stay in a room with no view at the back of the grounds (this would have been ok), but we were given the choice of 2 rooms, both with a bay view.

Everyone we have encountered has been welcoming, the rooms are upgraded and spacious, the grounds are beautiful and the value can't be beat. The only thing I didn't give 5 stars to is cleanliness. The rooms in the "wing" we are staying in are upgraded and clean, but the hallway can use a paint job and new carpet. It looks a bit dingy, but really no big deal.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Bay View rooms in the Villa Marivisa or Palacio
3  Thank CMarvinGallo
hiltonsandiego, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2011

Dear CMarvinGallo,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. As a HHonors member, I'm happy to hear that your expectations were met and exceeded. Villa Marivista and Villa Palacio are our most popular buildings...I will have our property operations team take a look at the corridors and make the necessary corrections if they have not already been made. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2011

We arrived Saturday expecting little. On departure we raved we could not return quicker. The Villa Garden Room was enchanting. The few request we had were immediately granted by the gracious staff. We lingered at the bar during happy hour enjoying the ambiance and the fun crowd watching the NCAA tournament. We lounge by the pool , and the evening viewed the spectacular fireworks and fired Smores in the beach. By the way the bed was the best we ever slept.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden or bayside view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhoenixDesertstar

Dear PhoenixDesertstar,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate your feedback regarding the resort, the facilities as well as your guestroom. More importantly, we're happy to hear the staff was attentive to your needs and that the service provided was 10+ caliber. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

As a Hilton Honors member, I was hoping for a reward upgrade when I arrived at the resort. William, the desk supervisor who helped me, hooked me up with the most amazing villa, private fire pit by the beach and all! Thanks, William, you're the best! Great food, wonderful service, I'll be back :)

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank kp350

Dear kp350,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I'm glad that our availability allowed for such an outstanding upgrade. Thanks for your recognition of William as well, I know he appreciates the kind words. Hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 3 April 2011

My family and I stayed at the Hilton for a quick family getaway to Seaworld for the weekend. The plan was to arrive on Friday afternoon and leave Monday late morning for a return to LA. After getting to the hotel, it was clear that we would leave on Sunday morning after Seaworld. The hotel was very uncomfortable and not up to expectations. While the room seemed to have been updated with new furniture: modern style headboards and flatscreen TV, the mattresses were old and uncomfortable and the room smelled heavily of mold. The carpets had a gross damp feeling and the balcony railing paint was old and chipping. The walls were paper thin - I could hear the next door neighbor so well that I was forced to keep my television on while we slept! This hotel is in severe need of a real makeover. I would definitely not recommend.

Dear SnapDragon777,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I'm sorry to hear you found our accommodations uncomfortable. All of our guestrooms were fully remodeled in 2008 down to the drywall. In regards to dampness, this is an ongoing challenge for all hotels along the coast due to the moisture in the air and ground. We have a very proactive housekeeping team who continuously deep cleans our carpets throughout the hotel in an effort to avoid issues such as yours. I apologize that your stay was not up to par but hope that you'll give us one more chance as I know the majority of our guests do not experience the same challenges.

Reviewed 3 April 2011

We just returned from a 3 night getaway to the Hilton. I can't recall the last time I've stayed in a worse hotel. To begin with, there was a huge convention going on, and so the staff couldn't be bothered to help my little family. No matter that we had 3 huge suitcases and a baby! No bell person or anyone at all to help with the bags. Then, we had to wait until after 4:30 for our room to be ready (no matter that check in is supposed to be at 4:00). Once we finally got to our room (which had banged up furniture, worn out carpeting and quite possibly the least comfortable beds I've ever slept on in a hotel), we realized that the photos on the website are totally misleading. They must have had a spectacular photographer because this hotel is, at best, the quality of a Super 8, and certainly not worth paying more than $59.00!!!

Bottom line? Believe the bad reviews and stay elsewhere!

Dear remsmom,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. First, let me apologize for the poor experience that you and you family had while visiting our resort. Our team members are fully committed an ensuring an excellent stay by all of our guest whether they're traveling on business or leisure. I would like the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your issues so we can avoid the same pitfalls with future customers. I encourage you to reach out to me directly at 619-275-7976 or by email at jmccabe@missionbayhilton.com to discuss your challenges. Thanks again for staying with us and I do hope we have the opportunity to make your situation right.

Reviewed 1 April 2011

Recently visited the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa for a site visit for future business meetings and was pleasantly surprised with the meeting rooms and the layout of the resort. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained - overlooking the water and Fiesta Island. Also, had a WONDERFUL lunch at Aqua on their outdoor patio. Great food and reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Love the rooms with the private fire pits.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank krindell

Dear krindell,

Thank you for taking the time to come by and site our hotel. We believe we have the amenities and serenity of a resort with the ultimate convenience of moving around town to your favorite attraction or venue. Hopefully we'll see you and your group or clients soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 31 March 2011

I recently visited the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa for a business lunch. I was so impressed with the customer service provided by all staff members that I felt compelled to write a review to give them kudos for caring so much. During my visit, I was even greeted by the hotel's General Manager and Director of Sales. Wow, they make time to greet business people who visit the property! I asked for a tour to familiarize myself with their hotel, and was able to see a room in one of the towers. The view is amazing and could imagine watching the fireworks from one of these rooms during the summer season (think Sea World Fireworks, the best I've seen). The room decor was contemporary and nice. I'm very picky and dislike old carpets in hotels. This is not that kind of propety at all. What I liked the best, is how nice, clean, flat and calm is the ocean water in front of this hotel. This is the perfect place for a family wtih kids since it offers privacy and a calm beach front. This is completely the opposite of those busy beaches in Mission Beach. They also offer rooms with fire pits, which I think would be the best because I have boys and we love doing this kind of thing. if you eat at their main restaurant, the food is amazing, and their tuna tartare is delicious, you must try it! I highly reccommend this resort for anyone who wants to relax for a few days and disconnect from a hectic life. I know I'm coming back and bringing my family next time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank fabs92130

Dear fabs92130,

Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to come and site the hotel. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the facilities and hopefully we can begin doing business with you soon. You and your family are always welcome at the resort and we would love to see you over a weekend soon.