“OK Stay . . .”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reno, Nevada
“OK Stay . . .”
Reviewed 16 April 2011

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Hilton Resort San Diego. The hotel was fine. Nothing too special. I enjoyed the grounds and the freedom my children had in running around. We especially enjoyed roasting marshmallows in the fire pits on the bay. The pool was nice, but it was pretty cool while we were there, so we didn't spend much time there.

The rooms were OK as well. Definitely, an older property, but with some updates. My first room had hair all over the shower. The hotel promptly moved me to a new room with a better view. I certainly appreciated it. The new room however, had a broken TV. Once again they were very prompt in fixing it.

All in all an OK hotel, but I probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
hiltonsandiego, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 May 2011
Dear megkfrank,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate your candid feedback regarding your stay at the resort. I have forwarded your housekeeping concerns to our Rooms Manager. In addition, due to comments such as yours we have been able to identify challenges with our television power cables coming unattached from the TV when it is turned. As a result, our property operations team has been visiting each room to permanently attach these cable to the back of the TV to avoid this same challenge in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chino, California
Reviewed 11 April 2011

It was a decent hotel. Definitely not a 4 star in my opinion (a 3.5 star at best).

The cost of parking alone made my experience go from "bleh" to "I'm never staying here again unless it's free or significantly cheaper!"

The rooms were dirty and I had incredible mucus production from the dust in the room (yes - that is meant to sound gross). Some staff were 'ok' but there was one who couldn't speak English and another who was very rude to me personally. There wasn't a very resort-like feel to this property so needless to say, I won't be staying here again.

I can't believe that I paid 50 bucks for parking for the 2 nights I was there. If I stayed longer (which I was considering but quickly came to my senses), that would have been $125 for 5 days - when did Mission Bay turn into Manhattan!!! Space is not at a premium here so my problem is with the price of parking, not the actual fact that they are charging.

And is it just me or is it that whenever I get a deal through priceline, I NEVER get the free upgrades that everyone in front of me and behind me in line was getting.

1 Thank rjung10
Dear rjung10,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. The hotel does have a nightly parking fee of $25 per night which is in line with other hotels & resorts in San Diego and more specifically Mission Bay. It is hard to say why other guests would receive upgrades but it is possible that they were either purchased and paid for in advance, awarded based on Hilton HHonors loyalty status or part of a contractual group commitment. Regardless, when utilizing services such as Priceline.com, you are only guaranteed standard accommodations which will sleep two comfortably. If upgrades are an important factor for you I recommend booking directly with the individual hotel in the future.
Illinois
Reviewed 7 April 2011

The Mission Bay location of this hotel cannot be beat! We enjoyed being on the gentler waters of Mission Bay rather than the busy loud neighborhoods of some of the oceanfront hotel areas. On Saturday night we even got to see the fireworks from Sea World off our balcony! It was also a great spot to get around town from, with easy access to major roads and sights.

We were on the 6th floor of the tower portion, and wished we were closer to the lower main hotel area. We had asked for a water view and it did qualify as that, and we were thankful not to be on the east side which faced Hwy 5! We got in after a long day's travel so we were just thankful to get to bed that night. The tower was obviously an older section, redone nicely, but the room's ventilation system smelled old damp and musty. It was too cold out to leave the screen to the balcony open to get fresh air all night. That would be nice in the summer though. We would request a non-tower room for that reason and one other. The motor noise and exhaust from shuttles, buses, limos taxis and etc that were allowed to idle between the tower and the front entrance created more echo and smell than they realize! Even a beer truck pulled by and honked me out of bed one morning at 8 AM. Thanks, Bud Light. Yeah, I should have complained.

The restaurant was very nice, but maybe too nice. The whole family enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but it was too expensive for us to do every morning. It cost us almost $100 for a family of four each day with tip! That was a bit of a problem at dinner too. After tramping around the theme parks, zoos and etc. we would have loved a more casual option in the hotel for dinner. By then the restaurant was just much too formal for frazzled foot weary families to relax in.

On the positive, everything we did mention to the staff, was promptly handled and things were clean and staff friendly. The breakfast was excellent and service very good. The pool was fun and the outside fire pits were great for cool spring evenings. Overall I would recommend it for those who want a way to get away from overcrowded beach areas and yet still be close to it all.

Room Tip: Get a non-tower room or at least west side of it!
1 Thank 2boysrus
Dear 2boysrus,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate your detailed account of the resort as well as your recommendations. While there are many important factors to an excellent stay, service remains our #1 priority. I'm happy to hear of the excellent service you received from the front office staff as well as our wait staff. Please feel free to call me directly in the future at 619-275-7976 or email me at jmccabe@missionbayhilton.com and we'll make sure we get you set up in a room away from the tower and in the villas.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My tween son and I came down to San Diego to visit museums, and local attractions. We planned to stay here for a couple days and ending up extending our stay because the hotel is beautiful and the service is exceptional. We have a great room overlooking the bay.

As a Hilton Honors member I typically receive great treatment, but I was very impressed that they had upgraded our room when I arrived. For the room rate, I was expecting to stay in a room with no view at the back of the grounds (this would have been ok), but we were given the choice of 2 rooms, both with a bay view.

Everyone we have encountered has been welcoming, the rooms are upgraded and spacious, the grounds are beautiful and the value can't be beat. The only thing I didn't give 5 stars to is cleanliness. The rooms in the "wing" we are staying in are upgraded and clean, but the hallway can use a paint job and new carpet. It looks a bit dingy, but really no big deal.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the San Diego area.

Room Tip: Bay View rooms in the Villa Marivisa or Palacio
3 Thank CMarvinGallo
Dear CMarvinGallo,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. As a HHonors member, I'm happy to hear that your expectations were met and exceeded. Villa Marivista and Villa Palacio are our most popular buildings...I will have our property operations team take a look at the corridors and make the necessary corrections if they have not already been made. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We arrived Saturday expecting little. On departure we raved we could not return quicker. The Villa Garden Room was enchanting. The few request we had were immediately granted by the gracious staff. We lingered at the bar during happy hour enjoying the ambiance and the fun crowd watching the NCAA tournament. We lounge by the pool , and the evening viewed the spectacular fireworks and fired Smores in the beach. By the way the bed was the best we ever slept.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden or bayside view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhoenixDesertstar
Dear PhoenixDesertstar,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. We appreciate your feedback regarding the resort, the facilities as well as your guestroom. More importantly, we're happy to hear the staff was attentive to your needs and that the service provided was 10+ caliber. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 4 April 2011

As a Hilton Honors member, I was hoping for a reward upgrade when I arrived at the resort. William, the desk supervisor who helped me, hooked me up with the most amazing villa, private fire pit by the beach and all! Thanks, William, you're the best! Great food, wonderful service, I'll be back :)

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank kp350
Dear kp350,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I'm glad that our availability allowed for such an outstanding upgrade. Thanks for your recognition of William as well, I know he appreciates the kind words. Hope we see you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My family and I stayed at the Hilton for a quick family getaway to Seaworld for the weekend. The plan was to arrive on Friday afternoon and leave Monday late morning for a return to LA. After getting to the hotel, it was clear that we would leave on Sunday morning after Seaworld. The hotel was very uncomfortable and not up to expectations. While the room seemed to have been updated with new furniture: modern style headboards and flatscreen TV, the mattresses were old and uncomfortable and the room smelled heavily of mold. The carpets had a gross damp feeling and the balcony railing paint was old and chipping. The walls were paper thin - I could hear the next door neighbor so well that I was forced to keep my television on while we slept! This hotel is in severe need of a real makeover. I would definitely not recommend.

Dear SnapDragon777,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa. I'm sorry to hear you found our accommodations uncomfortable. All of our guestrooms were fully remodeled in 2008 down to the drywall. In regards to dampness, this is an ongoing challenge for all hotels along the coast due to the moisture in the air and ground. We have a very proactive housekeeping team who continuously deep cleans our carpets throughout the hotel in an effort to avoid issues such as yours. I apologize that your stay was not up to par but hope that you'll give us one more chance as I know the majority of our guests do not experience the same challenges.