“Nice, but a few issues”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Campbell River, Canada
“Nice, but a few issues”
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This was our first time in San Diego and we booked this place directly through Hilton on a December "sale" rate.

Pros:
Beautiful location right on Mission Bay
Pool and grounds are well maintained
Central to many attractions (minutes from Seaworld)
Staff was friendly
Room was clean
There was a 'mini fridge' in the room for keeping a few drinks cold
There is an in-room small safe

Cons:
PARKING!... OMG $32/night!... no joke (for that rate there should be valet parking in a locked area...which there is not...it is simply self-parking in an unlocked area....)
Only one (nice but expensive) restaurant on site and no other options within walking distance.
Older resort is showing its age.
Very limited TV channels
No WiFi in room. WiFi was available in the lobby only.

Overall, our experience here was good. Kids liked the pool and hot tub. The hidden parking fee is a big detractor. $32/night is ridiculous and they can charge this because there are no other options nearby. Mission Bay Park has lots of parking, but there is a 'no parking' bylaw from 2am - 4am preventing anyone from over-nighting there. The fact that there is no WiFi available in the rooms kind of sucks too... It is 2012 afterall.

It was "off season", so the grounds were very quiet, which was nice, and the staff was very good.

We really only needed a place to lay our heads, so next time we come to San Diego, I am not sure that we would return to this place, especially if they don't correct the cost of the parking.

That being said, it was a nice place to relax after a busy day at the surrounding attractions.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mbear78
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear mbear78

We hope you truly enjoyed the San Diego experience from Canada. The parking fee challenge typically happens when guests are not told in advance. We hope that the travel site, confirmation letter and arrival process helped communicate the fee. In regard to other issues, we strive to improve our hotel several times a year. This includes our newly refurbished conference center and upcoming upgrades to technology: including Wi-Fi, TV channels, etc.

Please come back soon.

Sincerely.

mjs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Livermore, California
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Setting up for our annual meeting was so easy with the help of Maribel and the staff. The hotel accommodated our specific needs and was on top of everything. Great staff on hand and wonderful to work with.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank R P
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you RP.

We feel the same about Maribel. Thank you for mentioning her great service. We will definately pass this along.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I would recommend this resort to anyone, especially couples and families. My spouse and I spent two nights at this resort. It completely met our expectations. We choose a bay view room in the tower building overlooking the bay and pool area. Although the room itself was a bit on the smaller side it was nice and perfect for the two of us. The room was very clean, had a private balcony, fridge, nice bathroom and tasty in room coffee. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. The pool area was gorgeous with private poolside cabanas. We had a perfect stay and can't wait to come back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank eap123
Connecticut
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel for $80/night through Priceline, and for this price we can say it is a decent place. There are positives and negatives to the hotel. The negatives include the fact that *everything* is very pricey, so if you have already paid resort prices for the room, they will continue to overcharge you every chance they get. Parking - $30/night. Room service - ridiculous - for example if one person wanted to get cereal and coffee for breakfast, it would cost about $15, and about $20 after tax and service fees (20% tip is already included in the check). We didn't even try to eat at the fancy restaurant on-site, although it did look very nice. But for $30 an entree, we could get a nice meal outside the hotel for both of us and enjoy our night out. That brings me to another negative - the fact that the hotel is in a remote area, and having a rental car was necessary unless we only wanted to stay on the resort, or pay expensive shuttle prices to get anywhere.

Another problem with the hotel was that the room was not exactly what I would consider a resort level of quality. The "view" was of the parking lot, but I was OK with that, as we did get a balcony and just being able to step outside into the sunny weather was nice. Another issue is that the bathroom did not have enough ventilation. The fan was very weak, and (at the risk of the manager implying that I'm being dishonest, as with another reviewer), YES, there was mold. There was a moderate amount of mold on the ceiling above the shower. It did not bother my health, however it is a problem, and if the rest of the bathrooms have such a lack of ventilation, I can only imagine how big the problem is throughout the hotel.

The positives of the resort include that all the staff we encountered were great, including the service staff, front desk staff, and shuttle drivers. Everyone was helpful, the grounds were beautiful, and the pool and jacuzzi area were very nice. The location was convenient (only if you have a car), as it is close to the Old Town, Mission Bay, etc. It was great for taking walks, and they offer a variety of water sports and rentals at the resort. We had a nice time, but again I would warn against the high prices for every little extra at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank explorergurl
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I wrote a scathing review about a horrible experience at this poorly run, dirty, "bait and switch" hotel. When I went to check out the review, it disappeared. Wow. There was a reply by a hotel executive that white washed my complaint. I checked in, via Sniqueaway, had paid the two night stay up front, and checked out 15 minutes later after seeing the room that was offered. Lost my money, but it was worth more NOT to stay than to stay. I was not given the room I was promised. A true bait and switch scam. I am not so sure that the employees of this hotel are writing all of the superlative reviews. Either that or this hotel is attracting people who need to get out more.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Busytraveler067
Los Angeles
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I have to agree with most, if not all of the negative reviews. In contradiction to a previous hotel response, the hallway doors have NOT been fixed. They still remain ajar, they do not self-close/securely lock. What good is a door if it doesn't do its job? This is a serious safety issue for all guests. The halls and rooms are dimly lit and the paint is old/chipped. The wallpaper is peeling and the bathroom tiles don't match. The shower rod was not securely fastened to the wall and the curtain itself was missing hooks. The rooms are musty and I saw water damage on the ceiling - it was bubbled. Because of the smell and the water damage, I was worried about mold. I don't know if that is in fact the case, but it still made me uneasy so I called for a bottle of Febreze to keep in my room. The fact that this place seemed unclean, I felt like I should buy a UV black light and brought Lysol wipes. I made sure not to walk barefoot on the carpet and was leary to lay on the comforter. Housekeeping is only allowed to give one bottle of shampoo, etc. (which doesn't smell so good), unless otherwise specifically requested by a guest for more.
This used to be a Hilton Hotel but it sold in 2005 to LaSalle Hotel Properties. Therefore, this is NOT Hilton Standard. This is NOT a Hilton Hotel. Google it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank D J
porter ranch, ca
Reviewed 2 January 2012

For the past twenty fives years we have been coming to the Hilton in Mission Bay and loving everything about it. We began our vacation by checking in with Ramon, who has always been extremely helpful and professional. He welcomes us as if we were in his own family. He is awesome!! It is a pleasure to see all of the wonderful front desk staff, and the bellman who always have a great story or two to share. We had dinner at the Aqua restaurant, and were thrilled with the service and the prefix dinner we ordered. Don't miss the Butternut Squash Soup (the best I ever had). Also, don't forget the water sports that Wolf has to offer. He is located directly across from the restaurant on the bay waterfront. Wolf not only was patient but gave us a few pointers on the kayak journey we took across the bay. This is a beautiful resort. Don't miss it. The Rosen's.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with family