“Great location, but just ok”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #99 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 May 2012

As a Hilton HHonors member, I was excited to try this hotel. The hotel is a good family location just minutes from Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. The hotel is also on a small bay with lots of beach area, playgrounds, bike and jogging trails, and very good pool area. The rooms, while large, were just ok. Ours was constantly warm and smelled musty. The sliding door to patio and beach area was very nice, but we found the carpets to be dirty and sandy.

Breakfast left much to be desired. I have been used to complimentary hot breakfasts as a HHonors gold member, but apparently that is out. We were stuck with "continental" breakfast (when did "continental" become synonymous with "cold"?). HHonors really needs to reconsider this practice.

Overall - this a great location with many family friendly activities, but just ok due to other issues.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank bemison
hiltonmissionbay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thank you for the review! We are very fortunate that our resort is located right on a 4000-acre aquatic park, which offers endless recreational activities, beaches, Sea World, and a fantastic wildlife preserve. Another thing about being right on a bay is that it offers a fantastic view and a beachy smell, which often times creeps into the rooms, especially the bay facing rooms. Our bayfront rooms are literally steps away from the sands of Mission Bay, and although we work diligently to vacuum out the sand after a guest checks out, a trace of fun in the sun is sometimes left behind in the form of a little sand here and there.
I’m sorry you weren’t satisfied with the continental breakfast options. For our valued HHonors members, there’s always the option of applying the continental breakfast voucher, valued at $12.95 to the breakfast buffet. I hope this didn’t put a damper on an otherwise fantastic sounding vacation.

We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Gregg

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Even though this resort has a few years under its belt, it is still an appealing hotel. We visited for business/vacation and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The grounds are spacious and picturesque. The service was excellent and the front desk was very helpful in arranging tours and giving restaurant suggestions. Our room was clean and comfortable with a step down sitting area and welcoming lounge chairs on the patio. The fire pits arranged on the beach front and around the upper patio of the pool, were inviting, relaxing and well needed during the cool evenings. The grounds were manicured and featured a variety of beautiful flowering plants and trees. Shuttle was available to Sea World and Old Town, but a taxi ride to Little Italy was $50 round trip; a little steep to add on to dinner. Our stay was enjoyable and would probably revisit this property.

Room Tip: Patio villas are very spacious and attractive.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank agranier
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we do have several years under our belt; 50 to be exact! We are currently celebrating our 50th year. We’re so thrilled that you stayed with us during this momentous benchmark and that you had a wonderful stay! It’s especially wonderful to read that after all these years, one thing hasn’t changed: excellent service. I’d be happy to communicate your kind words to our front desk! They love hearing positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed the fire pits! Some of our bayfront rooms have private fire pits right outside their patio! I highly recommend staying in those rooms on your next visit! It’s fun to have a s’mores party right outside your room. We look forward to your return visit! Hope you can come back during our swinging summer season!

VJ

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I've stayed here twice now with very different results.

Front desk staff has been very friendly both times. But the difference in the rooms is amazing.

The first time I was upgraded into a waterfront room (villa?) - it had a nice stepdown living area space and huge patio. Was very private and quiet.

The next trip i was on the other side of the property - still waterfront, but my patio basically looked out into someone elses room. creepy. this room was probably half the size and there was also mold on the ceiling of the bathroom - and NO FAN (what do you expect?!).

The restaurant service is really slow - both in the restaurant for breakfast and in the bar area for dinner. And all times I've been in those places, they've been pretty empty.

The gym is nice - several cardio machines, weight machines and lots of extra pilates-type equipment. I find it odd though, that you have to sign a waiver when the spa is open, but not when it's closed. not a big deal - just weird.

The parking lots and sidewalks are dark at night - which, if you don't know where you're going on this huge property, is not fun.

The pool area is VERY nice - I haven't had a chance to sit out there and enjoy it - or enjoy the firepits by the water, but they all looked very inviting.

Now that i've been to the hilton bayfront, I will probably stay there on future trips to SD.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SFpol
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed in the villas which was very nice - had a view of the villa. The room was clean and generous in size.

Now for the downers:
-Parking is over $30USD
-No wifi (only available in towers and lobby)
-Toilet was finicky

Considering the room was over $300, I would have expected more.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
hiltonmissionbay, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Glad to see that you enjoyed your stay! Our villas do offer great views. My personal favorites are the villas overlooking the bay with the private fire pits! I’m also happy to announce that we’ve recently completed a project allowing for all rooms to have wi-fi capabilities, as well as high definition flat screen televisions. Hopefully maintenance was able to resolve any issues you were experiencing with the toilet. Lastly, we appreciate the feedback! Thanks for taking your time to write one!

Reviewed 11 May 2012

Ths hotel is not anything you expect from it's website and perceived staus. First thing you arrive and there is no valet parking..Really? A hotel that charges over $300 a night for a room and you don't have anyone available to park a car. How do they even qualify as a AAA 4 diamond hotel? Isn't that a minimum requirement to have? Second the hotel is really a grouping of exterior style motel pods surrounded by nice landscaping and a pretty nice pool and restaurant. The "bay" is really a nice swamp that the staff even admits they would never go in or let children into. What I will say on a positive the note is the staff is for the most part pleasant and give good service. Lastly is the parking, now I am not a priceline guests that thinks everything should be free, I get it isn't a garden or Hampton inn and should expect to pay for breakfast, parking, and internet. But $36 to self park your car! The worst part is you don't even really need to pay, all they give you a cheap paper cut out that is supposed to go on your dash. No gates no assigned parking, no parking patrol, The 2nd 3rd and 4th night I was there I realized this and told the staff I returned the rental car and turned back in the slip. No diffrence with or without the parking paper. Only change was I saved $100 bucks. Again I get there should be a charge as it is free revenue for the hotel, but at least let me think I am getting some value out of it. Needless to say I will not be back to the Hilton San Diego Resort.

Room Tip: stay away from the "tower" or the 400 villa, these are the worst of what are already horri...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank voiceofreason626

Thank you for the review. We appreciate the feedback as your thoughts are an integral part of our continued improvement. I apologize for the negative experiences you may have had on our resort. We don’t offer valet services simply because we like to give our guests freedom to park where they wish, without limiting their choices due to reserved valet only areas. Though we understand that the parking fee can be frustrating, we are in line with other resort parking fees around the bay. The parking placards placed in your vehicle serves as a notice to our night security that you are a guest, which is especially important during large events around the bay, where towing non guest vehicles may be necessary in order to make spots available to paying guests. I’m happy to see that you had some pleasant experiences such as our landscaping and pool, which is constantly being maintained by our staff. We do wish that you come back and allow us to give you a resort experience that we know we are able to provide.

Reviewed 11 May 2012

The location and grounds are superb. Well manicured lawns, nice pool and lounge areas. The rooms are dark and still have acoustic ceilings. The staff are scarce and NEVER answer the phone.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to review our resort. I’m glad to see you enjoyed our property! We’ve recently upgraded all of our pool furniture, and wonder if you stayed after the upgrade. They’re really modern looking! I sincerely apologize that the phone was not answered when you called. Our staff is trained to try and answer the phone by the second ring. I will make sure to communicate this message to the appropriate manager to ensure that this protocol is being implemented. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. We hope you come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed 10 May 2012

After we got into our rooms, they were very nice and had a good view - we did have trouble with our reservation and one room not being ready for 2 hours after promised. But, the manager did offer a resort credit which we used at the restaurant. We had nice rooms with a view of the bay, and enjoyed the restaurant and well stocked store.

Room Tip: The bay view rooms have firepits and patios - the tower area did not look as nice (closer to road, f...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kevnbons

Thank you for the review and your patience! Though we strive to get each guest room ready for the arrival of our valued guest, it often times depends on the previous occupant’s checkout. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed your room and the view. The best part about being steps away from the sands of Mission Bay is the fantastic view it offers. We hope you come back and enjoy another stay at our resort soon!