“Hilton San Diego, Fireworks, Park and more!”

Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
Ranked #91 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lake Charles, United States
“Hilton San Diego, Fireworks, Park and more!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel service overall was superior to many hotels I have stayed in. The staff from the bell boy to the concierge to the wait staff at the restaurant was rather excellent! If I came with my family, I would certainly stay there again. The location was ideal to watch fireworks every night at 9:50 pm. The hotel was located next to Mission Bay Park, which allowed walks, and a wonderful view of the bay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to share such kind feedback of your Hilton experience, David. We're immeasurably proud of our team and their dedicated hospitality, and we're thrilled to hear that this set the benchmark for your San Diego experience. We hope to share many more memories with you in visits to come, and we encourage you to reach out if there's anything we can do to make returning ones more enjoyable.

Don Dennis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
seattle
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked this trip through Venere . I paid extra for what was called a garden view villa.. It was a regular sized room , nothing special with a musty smell in the room. No garden view. It was not in good shape, outdated and even if we wanted water it cost $5.50 for one bottle. If we are paying $250 a night it was extremely disappointing.
The staff was ok but seemed unorganized and most of their uniforms were dirty.
There was $35 a day parking fee luckily we didn't have a car plus an additional " resort fee" of $22 a day for the use of amenities. Execuse me I'm paying almost $300 a night that should be included!
The location description was also deceiving. We thought we were in the mist of Mission and Pacific beaches. Nope $ 20 taxi ride. Overall it was extremely disappointing, misleading and I was basically pissed off because I felt like I had been hustled. I would not stay here again and I don't advise others to. Plenty of other hotels you could pay the same amount of money and get all more for your dollar. More access to stores, restaurants, beaches.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
While we're glad to have welcomed you, we're sorry to hear that some of the fees of our resort took you by surprise. We certainly aim to be forthright regarding these, and we apologize if hey weren't properly communicated through your online travel agency. We take great pride in affording incomparable experiences, and we hope that you'll reach out to our management team to further discuss yours. Many thanks for your thoughts and continued attention.

Kind Regards,
British Columbia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We planned our first family holiday at this resort for easter break. My daughter and I gave our husband three different places to choose from and he picked this one. Approximately a week before we left, a friend looked at the reviews and told me I should check them out. I was horrified when I read some of the reviews. I tried to get it changed but I was two days too late to change the hotel. So off we went. Upon our arrival we looked around and thought the place actually looked wonderful, but it was the rooms that had all the ugly reviews. My husband checked us in and we slowly made our way up to our room in the tower. We opened the door and "wow" it was wonderful! Our room looked exactly like it did on the webpage. We were thrilled. No musty smell, no damage, just lovely! We had a balcony with a view of the bay and just loved our morning coffees looking at the bay. We realized that we did not have a light jacket packed for my husband so my daughter and I went down to the boutique (knowing it was going to cost an arm and leg). What a surprise again. The prices were very reasonable and the lady in the shop made our trip even more pleasurable. She told us to just take stuff up to my husband and see what fit and what didnt. She did not know us from Adam but yet trusted us. We did just that and he picked out the stuff he wanted. The fellows that were in charge of the shuttle were ....well what can I say, they were fabulous. The took my daughter and I to the mall and instead of calling a cab to come back he gave us his card and told us to call when we were ready. They were awesome. The staff at the front desk were wonderful, polite, professional and the girl booking trips etc., helped my daughter with booking her birthday present of feeding the animals at the zoo. They were all terrific. In fact my husband asked if we would like to go back next year --- wow, he really enjoyed this place. So we will be returning next spring for another delightful holiday at the Hilton. Thanks so much to all the staff!!! The Wiltshires

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room in the tower with a view of the bay!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We're so glad to have welcomed you and your family and to hear that our team's hospitality set the mark for your stay. We take great care to provide attentive services that mirror our incomparable surroundings and views, and we're thrilled to hear you take note of this here. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back and to showcase even more of our offerings, and we hope that you'll reach out and afford us the opportunity the next time you're headed our way. All our best until then!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We took a family vacation to San Diego over the Easter Break, it was the first time my husband, daughter and I took a vacation together so I really wanted this to be special. We gave my husband 3 hotels to choose from and he chose the Hilton San Diego Spa and Resort. A week later I decided to go to trip advisor and read some of the reviews. I was mortified reading the reviews and figured we made a terrible mistake. The reviews were terrible. Upon arriving at the resort we looked around and thought this doesn't look bad, but the horrible reviews were in regards to the rooms. We checked in and nervously went up to check out our room. Wow is all I could say. It looked exactly like the rooms on the web page. We loved it and had a beautiful view of the bay. We lived this resort so much that we hVe decided we will definitely be going back next year. This hS taught me to take bad reviews with a grain of salt. We had a wonderful time and yes, the restaurants could be better but we decided to eat outside the bar and had a wonderful time. I am looking so forward to returning. This is really a great place. Thanks from The Wiltshires

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the bay. It's so nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank luvtogamble_10
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you and your family to our site and to hear that you enjoyed the experience so throughly. We strive to provide a site and services to exceed our guests' expectations, and we're so glad to have accomplished this for you so successfully. We hope that you also enjoyed some of the many playful offerings of our site, including the firework displays and some time out on the water, and we look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you're headed our way. Please be sure to reach out if there's anything we can do to make your future visits more comfortable.

Sun City West, AZ, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is a one stop fits all your needs. Food was great and the only suggestion, maybe another pool on the grounds. It was crowded...a wonderful walking path and the view of the bay was perfect. Tennis, volley ball, sailing, peddle cars. etc. We did not have time to enjoy the Spa. Mostly we enjoyed the patio and viewing the all the water activities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Constance F
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for visiting and for sharing this thoughtful feedback with us, Constance. We're so glad to have been able to make the experience a memorable one, and we hope that you'll join us again to share in even more of our scenic views and extensive resort offerings. Please be sure to reach out to the team again the next time you're headed our way!

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My 16 Year-old son and I stayed one night at the Hilton Resort and Spa at Mission Bay. We went there after I picked him up from a sports camp. All he wanted was a place to rest and this did the trick. We did lunch, dinner and breakfast at the restaurants. Nice food and not overpriced for a "resort". Only improvements could be an added staff member at the Aroma coffee shop for the morning rush and better attentiveness to the food supply at the breakfast buffet-at one point they were out of eggs, pancakes and meat. Could have been because the US was playing soccer and quite a few people showed up.

We didn't use the pool but I did run on the path- great access to a nice running path along the bay. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try Priceline for this property. I did name your own price- but remember you will have a $22 resort...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Liz A
We're glad to have been able to offer you and your son a relaxing night's stay, and we thank you for this kind feedback, Liz. We'll certainly address your service points, and we hope to share our continued evolution in your travels to come. Please be sure to reach out again the next time you're headed our way!

Cody, Wyoming
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The Hilton name used to be synonymous with luxury…that was definitely NOT the case at this "resort". This MOTEL is at least 50-60 years old and the rooms (esp the bathrooms) definitely show their age, as well as a lack of maintenance. It appears that this establishment uses it's profit to enhance the outer grounds & common areas, which were lovely, but does nothing to upgrade/maintain the interior motel rooms. Considering the fact that we were spending over $350/night, I expected a much nicer room than a damp, musty smelling interior with poor lighting, in such poor condition. Because our first room smelled so badly, we requested a room change for our remaining 3 nights. We were switched to another building, which was a little better…at least the room didn't smell, but the fixtures were still dated and the bathroom was old and dirty: bathtub was stained and dingy, carpet was torn (and damp YUCK) Peeling wallpaper, holes dented in the walls, torn sheers, unidentified substance (lotion?) stuck to sink fixture, grimy light switches (please refer to pictures)…I've stayed in nicer Motel 6's. I can't begin to tell you how bitterly disappointed I was. I booked this room based on the info/pictures on their website and found both to be misleading. Service/staff were mediocre, room service food was delivered cold, and the front desk personnel were generally disinterested. We purchased a package deal with SeaWorld tickets and were supposed to receive some sort of kids' package at the front desk, which never materialized. The "beach front" is nothing more than a small public access to Mission Bay and there is a constant stream of the general public walking/running on the sidewalk(boardwalk) between your room and the "beach". This does NOT have a private resort feeling AT ALL. Not a beach that your kids will play on, swim from. The pool area was nice, but they were out of towels at 8pm…even though pool is open until 10 and we never did see any type of poolside service available for drinks/snacks etc. For the price, it was a HUGE disappointment…please do your research or lower your expectations. I would never recommend anyone stay here, nor will we ever book with Hilton again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
While we're glad to have welcomed you, we're certainly disheartened to hear that the experience missed the mark in so many ways for you. Our team is committed to offering the very finest in hospitality, and in spite of the room change, we're sorry that these efforts fell short. We'd love the opportunity to further discuss this visit with you, and with continued upgrades across the property, it would be a pleasure to host you again and to showcase our offerings at their finest. Please feel free to reach out to our management team at your next convenience.

Kind regards,