“Just OK”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 February 2008

Went to Paradise Point for a business trip.
The grounds are beautiful. Extremely spread out.

Our room-nice king bed, with couch and two extra chairs, plus a desk and chair. Also had a wood armoire with TV and mini fridge. I liked the bedspread on the bed. It made me think more of home or a bed and breakfast rather than a generic hotel bedspread.

Our fridge did not work. It lacked a temperature knob and wasn't even plugged in. There was coffee left for us, but no coffee pot. I'm sure we could have asked about the fridge and coffee pot, but it really didn't matter to us. You could definitely tell that the place was old.

The last night we were there, the armoire door came off one of the hinges. It was a heavy door and I didn't want it falling off the other hinge in the middle of the night. We called the front desk and someone came to take the door off completely. It wasn't something that was a quick fix because the wood of the armoire was worn and old. Again, it wasn't something that concerned us cause we were leaving the next day.

We did not have a car, but from what I understand, it costs $17-$25 to park your car. ( I don't know the exact number).

The bar/grill at the hotel is WAY overpriced. We didn't want to eat there, but we were starving and didn't have a choice.

The gym is located in their spa. The gym cost $10 or $15 but we had a reduced rate. Small gym, but they had what I needed. All of the machines are brand new. Each bike, treadmill and ellitical had it's own tv and they gave you water, headphones and a towel. The changing room was very nice as well.

The grounds are very extensive and spread out. If you call the front desk, they will send a golf cart to take you to other places in the resort.

You really need a car at this resort as there is no other place closeby to walk to.

I don't feel as though the prices they charge for this place are worth it. They were charging $185. Considering that you have to pay to park, are limited on the food choices and that it is old, I think you could do better in the SD area. If you could get in this place for under $150, I think it would be ok.

The proximity to Sea World is outstanding and that is one positive point. There are lots of restaurants within close driving distance.

One other positive point is that the meeting and banquet facilities at this place are outstanding. The rooms and the restrooms are beautiful.
Also, the staff was always very friendly.

So, I give the 3 circles because we had some good and some bad with our trip. Stay here if you can find a good rate-otherwise, find somewhere else where they don't charge you for every single thing.

1  Thank ncdeb73

Reviewed 2 February 2008

I don't really understand why this hotel has 4 stars, but I'll say that the rooms are decent. I've been there twice - the first time, the room was incredibly humid and border line clean. The second time was a little better. The A/C units are old, noisy and inefficient, and the beds not that comfortable.

Reviewed 27 January 2008

We had a very pleasant stay in room 133. The pool and jacuzzi were right out our door. The resort is very private and secluded. The place had a tropical feel to it because of lush plantings. The place was so charming we really didn't want to leave the resort for dinner but didn't quite want to dine in the high end Baleen restaurant which looked lovely. We asked the desk for a pizza recommendation which was provided promptly. The pizza establishment did a lot of business with hotel guests and delivered right to the room-great service and fun for a change. We stayed here at a very reasonable priceline "name your price" of $90 for a Saturday night stay.

Reviewed 6 January 2008

Stayed here from 12/31-1/4. Hotel rated at 4 stars. Should be rated at 3. Service is not great. Pool was unkempt, no towels available. Waited 45 minutes for more towels, they never came. Housekeeping was hit or miss. No robes in room, bathroom like a motel.

Great grounds, unfortunately you have to drive everywhere. Room service was okay, forgot to bring butter for toast.

This hotel needs stronger management, and is missing the small touches. Not a great value for the dollar.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank chops66
Reviewed 11 December 2007

Stayed here and thought at first it was going to be a good deal! No soap in the room for the first 2 nights! Rooms were not very clean and to top it all off my wife and baby got food poisoning from the bar and grill restaurant and we nearly lost our baby! Ive spent the last 4 nights in the hospital with my child. I Had to do cpr on him to resuccitate him...doctors said that it was problem someone who handled the food the salad which she had and the strawberries that somehow contaminated it!

Will pass next time, beware!

Todd

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank travelin___man40
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Each time we have stayed here has been through Virgin Holidays (you don't pay the outrageous $20 per day car parking!) and we have always enjoyed the stay. The surroundings are lush and relaxing and the staff are friendly. There are, though, certain frustrations: You do have to check that the room type booked is the one you are given, usually it takes 3 tries to get the right room. Expect hefty prices in the restaurants (there are plenty of wonderful places to eat outside the hotel!) and even the coffee cart is expensive. Always check the signs on the beach as the water may well not be safe for paddling. On the last visit we shared our Lanai garden Room with a family of ants (complained about but not rectified). Having said all that, you are on an island so expect your fare share of wildlife. The pools and landscaping are great and the shop is well worth a visit even if only to buy duck food for the kids. This is a great place to stay to get away from the bustle of this wonderful city. Finally, what is it with hotel telephone charges? The local Virgin rep is in Las Vegas.... be seated when you discover the phone charges if you need to speak with them!
I like the place and will be returning.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GORUk
Reviewed 7 December 2007

I booked same day for a next lower than bay view on Expedia for $111 ! I grew in San Diego and have seen this property change owners more times than...well, you finish it. A lot. I had never been there. I always stay in the Hayatt or the W in the Gaslamp Quarter as I usually am there for conventions these days.

About the hotel, the grounds are as georgous as they are difficult to navigate. What is it with the $20 parking fee? The girl at the front desk must have seen the [--] on my face and she went overboard with "you will parking right next to your room" speil.

Expedia should mention that PARKING WILL BE 25% OF THE ROOM COST.

As for the room. It had obviously recently been refurbished. It was roomy and had a beachy charm. Even at $111+$25 it was well worth it. BTW the hotel could not have 10% occupied. I was the only person in the Barefoot resaurant and the other reviewers are right. Save you money. Way, Way overpriced.

Stayed: December 2007