“Has so much potential”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #146 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 4 days in August. The grounds are beautiful. The hotel is located right on the water. There are atleast 3 pools, one with a hot tub. The restaurants are worth trying and the drinks were well made. We had lunch right on the water! And the food was great! The rooms are really nice looking and very spacious. There is a huge gift shop and bike rental.

There were a few disappointments- I waited atleast 30 minutes on line to check in. When we got to our room, there was alot of trash like popped balloons, napkins, wrappers in front of our room (I'm guessing the previous guests had a party the night before), our outside patio still had an old pizza box on it. I'm guessing the housekeeping doesn't touch the patio or any garbage outside near the entrance because the garbage stayed there the whole time we were there. The bathrooms need a serious renovation. Our tub wasn't draining well. And everyday we kept noticing dead bugs in our bathroom (Not sure if they were coming from the sink drain or through a vent, but we never left the door open.) There is a mandatory internet and fitness center charge of $19 a day. We didn't use the internet and fitness center, so it was disappointing to have that charge

I would not pay full price for this place (I was very lucky to get about half off through a website), but I did enjoy the services, food, and pools. I would come back and give this place another try. I would say the stay was between Average and Very Good.

Room Tip: Recommend trying to get a room near the water
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dani2414
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dani, we’re delighted to hear your thoughts on our lush grounds, bay front accommodations, and array of dining options. It is unfortunate that you had a few issues regarding the maintenance and cleanliness of your guestrooms; we sincerely apologize for these shortcomings. We are pleased to let you know we’re currently in the process of changing our housekeeping provider to elevate the level of service we provide to guests. The feedback provided by you and other guests is greatly appreciated as it helps us to make improvements like this. We hope that you’ll stay with us in the near future to experience these upgrades first-hand, as well as have the chance to take advantage of the various benefits of the Passport to Paradise.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,851)

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I would agree with all the previous reviews of this resort. Make no mistake this hotel is not the Grand Del Mar, LaCosta Resort, Hotel Del Coronado or the Hyatt Aviara. If you are expecting a resort similar to these properties, you will be disappointed! This resort seems to have a cult following with many people returning year after year. They seem very pleased with the resort and return year after year. There were a number of large groups who came equipped with BBQ's and coolers.

The grounds are very lush which I suspect is the source of the damp smell in the rooms. The rooms try to honour the Mexican heritage which means they are not up to modern standards. I don't mind the tile and hardwood floors as you are tracking in sand, leaves and duck poo. I can't image any type of flooring staying clean in this type of environment. Carpet would be a true disaster. There are five pools, however, they are not monitored and they can be out of control at times. I blame the parents of the children, not the resort for their behaviour. The nights can get a bit wild with some beer cans and broken bottles visible in the morning. It might be a good idea to have regular security patrols throughout the night. One morning there was a patio chair in one of the lagoons. The resort has numerous standing water features which the ducks love. People love to feed the ducks which means duck poo is very common. I would not say the water quality in Mission Bay is great for swimming which means I would stick to one of the pools or travel to the ocean.

San Diego is not blessed with an abundance of new high quality resorts. I would suggest that a business traveller would prefer a downtown hotel or something in the Gaslamp Quarter. Many of the newer hotels are found in hotel circle which is a uninspiring collection of hotels away from the beach near a major freeway. Many of the hotels near the beach or Mission Bay are older hotels and similar to Paradise Point. It is time for a major hotel chain to build a mega resort on the beach similar to the newer hotels in Hawaii or Mexico. At no time did I confuse this resort with a hotel in Hawaii.

The staff were friendly and they seem to try to take care of the resort, however, there are many challenges which makes this a difficult task. They need some music around the pool, a lifeguard to take control of the pool and an activities director to bring some life into the resort. I would suggest that you consider your needs and wants carefully as this may prevent disappointment. In the end there is nothing that will bring me back to the resort, but I don't believe there are many better options in the area unless you want to pay a much higher price. I love San Diego, Seaworld, Old Town, zoo, Legoland, etc, I just struggle to find the perfect hotel.

Room Tip: I think you need to pay for an upgraded room in order to avoid disappointment. This does not mean pa...
1  Thank Brad S
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We spent 6 days at Paradise Point as part of a trip to the US taking in Anaheim and Las Vegas too. Overall, we enjoyed PP but I can see some of the issues highlighted by other guests might be a cause for concern. The pool was great for the kids as was the beach and other amenities. Our Lanai garden room was adequate - in need of a little updating, especially the bathroom and it wasn't especially spacious. The pictures on the website make this place look a little more special than it actually is and if I were here as a couple I think I would be disappointed - lots of children and familiies so no "quiet getaway" but this didn't bother us since we had 2 kids of our own! There seems to be an issue with the resort fees too which is creeping in to many hotel bookings but our fees were already covered as part of our holiday package with Virgin. I would however been very annoyed had I had to pay for this on arrival just for use of the internet etc. Overall though, it is a really nice place to stay (save for a bit of tidying up needed) and we had a really good time. Location is fabulous too - really handy for all the major attractions. For anyone who has been to Center Parcs in the UK, this is a similar place (bungalows nestled amongst the vegetation etc) except for much better weather and location! I would recommend this place for families but perhaps not couples (unless you maybe travel outside of school holiday season!).

1  Thank Faycas
Reviewed 18 August 2013

When we arrived at Paradise Point on Thursday afternoon we were greeted by the hotel staff in a friendly and helpful manner. We checked in and we were impressed by our garden bungalow room. We had a view we could never forget. In front of our room sat a pond filled with ducks, fish, and turtles. What a relaxing way to start our vacation. As we walked around the 44 acre property we were amazed by the many pools and different restaurants this hotel offered. It was nice to know that we had options on where to eat and what activities to take part in. We enjoyed the water taxi to Sea World. This allowed us back entry into Sea World and a quick departure from the park. Also, a day on the Sea-Doo was unforgettable. Mission bay was an amazing from the water side. A nice relaxing day on the bay was much needed after our three day adventure at Paradise Point. The staff was more then accommodating and we highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to vacation in San Diego. Thank you Paradise Point for giving us an unforgettable three day vacation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike M
Reviewed 18 August 2013

After reading some other reviews I should say that we booked our visit ( 5 nights) through Virgin as part of a larger Socal / Vegas trip so we didn't get hit with extra charges that seem to have surprised other visitors.
That said, this place isn't cheap but we enjoyed breakfast and had a good meal at their more upmarket restaurant Baleen. The service at the Barefoot breakfast wasn't the quickest and one morning we did begin to feel that we had been forgotten. Sometimes we would have to wait to be seated as they didn't seem to have enough waiters/. However once we had a waiter / waitress they were very pleasant and the surroundings looking out past the water sport vessels was lovely.
There was only one bird that tried to steal food from empty tables and although we didn't feel it was a problem I'm sure this could be quickly solved.
We had only one gripe and that was that the floor of our chalet / bungalow seemed to be dirty as evidenced by my son's white socks and the bathroom shower floor ! We hadn't paid for a seafront view but didn't really have a "garden" view either. That said the room was spacious enough for us ( 2 double beds) and as well as the bathroom with toilet there was also another useful room with a wash basin / lots of mirrors where 3 of us at a time could apply makeup / clean teeth / style hair / get dressed around each other.
A great plus is that SeaWorld is just a 10 min water taxi away from the resort jetty. If you stay for the Rock / Killer Whale show and firework show then the resort is a short cheap taxi ride back as the water taxi stops running after dark.
Unfortunately the sun didn't appear as much as we were hoping but the main pool was a pleasant place to spend a few hours and apart from a family of ducks that passed through, we had the "waterfall" pool to ourselves one late afternoon.
All the staff were very helpful with time to chat. One day our teenagers took a liking to the carts used to run guests around as it looked like a mini Hummer. I was taking their picture next to the cart when the driver came over and offered to take us for a spin. Not something he needed to do but little things like that add to the fun.
We enjoyed our stay and found this a great location to venture out from by car.

Room Tip: If you are not paying extra for the sea / bay beach view then try to get a "bungalow" near...
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I am here with my daughter to spend some time before she begins school in a few days. We have been looking forward to this trip all summer and choose PP because of the pictures, location and good reviews.

This place is nothing like the pictures and is certainly not a "resort" quality establishment. More like a camp ground with incredibly hiked up prices.

We are being charged over $320 per night for a Lanai Garden Premium room. The room is small and ugly with cheap furniture, bad repair job on wall holes, tiny bathroom, dirty tub, hard beds and scratchy towels and sheets.

In addition to the outrageously over-priced room, we are being charged a $19 a day resort fee that covers unsecured wi-fi (which doesn't work), fitness room and "equipment" use. Most hotels include such items these days, so I'm surprised to be changed extra.

There is also a $34 per day charge for "front door convenient" parking. Actually our assigned parking spot is around the corner from our room. We has to drag our bags through bird droppings and standing water from the "lagoon" that has over run it's banks and spilled onto the walkway... not exactly convenient, or sanitary.

We went to dinner at the Barefoot Restaurant last night. Nothing special. Average service and over-priced. At one point, a huge bird landed in the middle of the outdoor dining room amd began looking for food among the tables. Our waitress explained that the bird is called Herold and that he lived at the restaurant. With that, Herold took off and very nearly crashed into the head of the man sitting at the table next to ours. I'm wondering what the CA health inspector would think of wild life in a dining room ....

So, fellow travelers, I strongly recommend that you avoid this place. If you are looking for a true resort experience in California, drive two hours north and stay at Terrenea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes. For the same price as PP (less in some cases) you get a beautiful room that is richly appointed, gorgeous grounds overlooking the Pacific Ocean and outstanding service.

(I have no connection with Terrenea except for being a very happy patron).

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Jill W
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Jill, your candid review is greatly appreciated. We regret hearing your disappointment in your overall experience, including our resort value program and parking cost. We believe the Passport to Paradise fee adds great value to any stay since it bundles unlimited use of popular amenities into a flat, discounted fee. Terranea, our sister hotel, charges a similar fee that is $25 per night. The reserved parking spots are designed to provide added security and convenience in comparison to forced valet or remote garage parking. We apologize that you did not get to experience the full scope of these benefits due to the uncommon layout of your guestroom building. Our hope is that despite these issues, you and your daughter were still able to enjoy some memorable vacation moments at our unique island resort before her return to school.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager

Reviewed 16 August 2013

First- BEWARE of extra fees!! $32 a day for parking and $200 per person for "incidentals". Second if your coming from out of state and plan on staying in or near San Diego use transit system ($5 a day per person).
Resort is nice enough but not worth the high end prices. Our room luckily wasn't smelly and there's lots of stuff to keep kids entertained. Restraunts on location also over priced.
Recommend this place if money is not an issue you worry about.

• Stayed: August 2013