“Some good and some not so good…….”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #152 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This is a perfect location and a beautiful property (the grounds). It needs a good cleaning and a remodel desperately. The spa was fantastic, small but very good. The cleanliness of the room was a disappointment. When we arrived the chairs on the back porch were filthy, I swear the white color looked almost brown, I cleaned them off so we could sit in them. The room was pretty outdated and the shower was in need of new fixtures. The location of the room was amazing, right on the bay and fire pits lining the beach, it was beautiful. We don't live that far so we brought our bikes which was a great idea. The little coffee shop in the lobby is a great idea but when we were there they only had one person working the shop and a line out the door. We had a wonderful time but this isn't the fanciest place that you might think you are getting for the price. I gave it four stars because of the location, grounds and spa.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the ground level and it really is worth it to have a room with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jillers22
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Jillers22, thank you for taking the time to provide both compliments and suggestions for improvements. We trust that the many positive aspects of your stay — the convenient location, beautiful grounds, waterfront room, spa — will bring you back for another stay at Paradise Point in the future. As for the disappointing aspects of your stay, we sincerely apologize. We truly appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention so we can resolve them and provide a better experience the next time you visit.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have stayed at Paradise Point three times over the past 3 years and, overall, have been satisfied. What I like: comfy beds, grounds kept up nice, dining facilities and food quality are good, convenience store on site, not far from downtown, taxis always on-site, and good conference space. What I like less: rooms are a bit dated, carpets/rugs are not clean, and AC/heat are noisy. I wish there was a rating between "Average" and "Very Good." I would give Paradise Point a consistent "Good" rating.

Room Tip: If you are not eligible for an upgrade, ask for a Premium Garden Room near one of the little ponds.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was a perfect environment for three of us couples to celebrate our up-coming 50 year anniversaries! The staff and housekeeping were exceptional. I did not visit the spa, so cannot review - but it looked great.
Thank you for making this a trip worth remembering!

Room Tip: We had the Garden Bungalow which was more than adequate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

HappySenior01, thank you for the review on our San Diego resort, and happy anniversary to you and your friends! We’re honored Paradise Point was chosen for such a monumental celebration. It’s wonderful to hear that your expectations were exceeded and we hope the hotel and spa have the chance to wow you again during another visit in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

a truly beautiful property located on Mission Bay---room in the Lanai Garden category was very spacious---however the bathroom was in serious need of renovation---a single shower curtain made for a lot of water everywhere---the sink needs new fixtures---the service was excellent and restaurant prices were reasonable and plenty of activities on the property

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Mikesmutt, thank you for the review of your recent stay at Paradise Point Resort & Spa. It sounds like you enjoyed our San Diego resort and were able to experience the hotel’s multiple dining and recreation options. We appreciate your comments on the guestroom bathrooms and will certainly keep them in mind as we look to make improvements. It would be our pleasure to have you as a guest at Paradise Point again, so we hope to see you here again soon.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

Another conference, another hotel that clearly promotes itself as a 4-star property, but upon closer inspection is nothing more than a 3-star option. Arrived mid-week among 400 conference delegates. Property is enormous, potential for getting lost unless being able to rotate objects in space quite high. Bellman drove me in electric cart to a room that had low ceilings and reeked of cleaning chemicals. A/C was on full blast when I entered, and then…lo and behold, there were NO WINDOWS TO BE OPENED IN THE ROOM. The patio had a glass door, one paltry window next to it, and nothing was openable. Nothing. Within five minutes, my eyes were burning and I couldn't help but pitch a hissy fit from anxiety. Called the reception totally outraged. Reception manager told me that "city ordinance prohibits us from having one-story rooms with windows that open". Ha - try to tell that to Four Seasons Biltmore in Santa Barbara, where the windows open very nicely on the first floor bungalows. Well, I deeply dislike San Diego as it is - sophistication clearly isn't its greatest attribute. So I told him I'd go to another hotel immediately. He then swiftly moved me to a junior suite and off I was, with another cart and another dismissive bellman (I had no cash on me - not an endearing situation).

The new room was very large, had no smell and very high ceilings. It was relatively nice and if you do stay here, there's no point in going with lower standard accommodations. The windows didn't open there either, but there was an openable patio door (not a front door) and a measure of privacy (no view, but so what) and loads of space, so I was pleased. A small kitchen area with a fridge (large enough to put fruits, yogurt etc. in it), a sink and a microwave, no minibar (who cares at a conference, all the drinking happens with other ppl in the hotel bar), a dual sink bathroom, decent shower and tub (nothing fancy, just utilitarian) and many scratchy towels - my kitchen towels have more terry loops than these clean but forlorn squares. Bed was comfortable, Internet good, HVAC system OK (not central, it was a large unit under the window), curtains but no coverings for the uppermost windows (bring a sleeping mask if you're sensitive) and no chain for the door - apparently San Diego laws don't require dual locks or chains on the doors.

To me, the property in general isn't very beautiful at all. It's a sticky sort of lagoon situation, with ducks wandering around the property acting annoying. The conference center is about a five minutes brisk walk away, so with having to be there at 8am (not the fault of the hotel, obviously), I didn't have the time to do anything else in the morning (like using the exercise facility, also far away). I kept getting lost constantly - good thing there were loads of kind employees with those carts buzzing about, with me hitching rides to get to and fro everywhere. I had lunch in the restaurant once - a limp salad topped with some grilled bay shrimp and $9 for a Pellegrino. Would NOT want to eat a complete dinner there, but maybe steak lovers have a different opinion. Employees were uniformly nice. Case in point - breakfast paid for my professional organization was downright scary: I asked one of the waiters to bring me some oatmeal and not only did he do that, but also offered me a couple of strawberries on the side. Clearly understood the plight of wanting to stay thin and healthy in a sea of junk food like croissants with eggs (uuuuh) and sugary muffins (blech). Again, not the fault of the hotel, but what the pennypinching board negotiated for.

Aside from that, the resort is indeed on an island and we had to take cabs to go anywhere for dinner outside (went to Sushi Ota, that was decent enough). The experience was liveable, but only because I was upgraded to a decent room. Had I stayed in that scary standard version with the Lysol smell and no ability to open any windows (didn't want to keep a glass front door open, that's a security risk, hmm, did "city ordinance" think of that), I would have gone completely off my rocker. I also had to get up in the middle of the night and tell some woman out there to pipe down and she wasn't exactly partying - she was sitting on the patio next door talking. So everyone can hear everything - not exactly conducive to happy honeymooning or even partying. And of course, anyone looking for a modicum of elegance or sophistication - go elsewhere. But if you're the arranger of an unwieldy conference where hundreds of academes have to be sheltered somewhere - ask for a better room and you'll survive.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the standard rooms - just get a junior suite or better
1  Thank xtacine
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I visited here for 8 nights. The Mission Bay beach is right next to the hotel and we had a bonfire one evening. Very Fun! The pool and the hot tub were great. The grounds with all the birds was very relaxing and interesting. There was a shark swimming in the water right next to the Bar and Grill. The service everywhere except the onsite Bar and Grill was superb. The bar and grill had good food but the service was very slow! The meals served at the convention dinners were awesome. The resort is dated in design and facilities but didn't detract from my stay much at all. We did not have a car so the isolated location kept us from exploring or going to a grocery store easily. (we stayed in one by the main pool shich allowed great access to the meetings, hot tub and front desk)

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the bay were incredible.
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This is the second time that I've stayed here - only because the conference I was speaking at was held here. There are a couple of things that I really dislike about this place. 1. The resort is on a island - so you have to have a car or get a cab to get off the property; it makes me feel like I am imprisoned with nowhere to go; 2. the rooms are spread all around the property and it can be a hike to get to the conference centre or the restaurant; it's also weird to walk back to your room late at night by yourself; 3. everything is damp (towels etc) and the rooms smell damp; 4. the rooms are bland and cold - no carpet, minimal furniture; 5. the shower in my room was extremely weak; I have really short hair and struggled to wash my hair. I requested a room close to the conference centre because of #2 above - and landed up with no view, no patio, and a fair hike from the conference centre - shame on you, the guy who checked me in!
On the plus side - the staff are super friendly and my room service breakfast was hot and tasty. But I would not come here again if I could help it.

3  Thank Travellingnurse50

Travellingnurse50, we are very sorry to hear that our hotel did not quite fit your needs. We have found that many meeting attendees feel our central location, tropical island setting, and ground-floor bungalows make the hotel a unique and inspiring place for a conference; we regret this was not the case for you. Our hope is that you will still consider staying with us again the next time you come to the area and see what makes our hotel an award-winning conference destination.

David Hall, General Manager