“Think Twice before booking!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #147 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Think Twice before booking!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My family and I stayed at the Paradise Point Resort & Spa over the Memorial Day weekend. Initially I was hesitant to book a room at this hotel because of the reviews I read online. At the end I still booked it because the location was convenient and I wanted to visit a place that was different than a conventional hotel. The location is great, it’s close to Sea World and the SD Zoo. They offer lots of cool activities that you can do at the hotel. We like the bon fire set up by the beach. We also liked the rooms with the bay view, definitely worth the price. One of the things that I disliked is the daily parking fee. That’s the positive review of the hotel.

Here is the negative….to sum it up…One night, my family and I were having a good time by one of the pools at the resort (Meadow Pool) and it was around closing time. The housekeeping crew came to take the dirty pool towels from the pool. I had placed my cellphone on one of the chairs and covered it with a towel. One of the employees came and grabbed the towel and also “accidentally” took my cellphone. I realized it after a few moments that my cellphone was gone. I called the number right away…and the call went straight to voice mail. That means that whoever got the phone turned it off so that I can’t track it. I notified the security right away. First they said they found the phone, then they said they could not locate the phone. I have spoken with the hotel authorities and all they are willing to do is pay a small amount of my loss. I had to get a replacement phone which cost over $600.00 and the hotel does not wish to reimburse me for an item stolen by one of their employees.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Greg T
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Greg, we appreciate the review with details of your stay, which it sounds like you enjoyed aside from the incident involving your phone. Despite being unable to confirm the alleged theft of your cell phone, security went beyond standard protocol to reimburse you for the approximate cost of a replacement device, had it been insured. We do sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that caused you to assume your phone had been found, when in fact it belonged to another individual at the hotel. We regret this occurrence had a negative impact on your holiday vacation, and hope that it will not discourage you from returning in the future.

David Hall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (981)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our second visit so we knew exactly where we wanted to stay. We recommend the Lanai Bayside rooms which open up onto a grassy area with sand leading into the bay. The rooms have wood floors which keeps it a lot cleaner. This makes it convenient if you want to do paddle boarding or kayaking and want to stop off in front of your room. The fine dining restaurant had changed from Baleen to Tidal and is very good. Unique flavors and mixes but not too eclectic. Try the Stone Crab Pasta for sure. They also have a wonderful ceviche of scallops and shrimps. We like that the property is self-contained. If you're into water sports there's plenty to do. One suggestion is for the property to offer full room service. We tried the Caveman Pizza but it didn't have a great crust or flavoring. For everyday dining the Barefoot Bar & Grill is terrific. I would suggest that they extend breakfast on Sunday beyond 11 am.

Room Tip: If you like waterfront, select the Lanai Bayside rooms. Ask for glass doors that face the Bay, not t...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mdinonno
Mdinonno, thank you for the continued business and detailed review of your most recent visit to Paradise Point Resort & Spa. We appreciate the kind comments regarding your dining experience at Tidal and will be sure to share them with Chef Amy and the entire restaurant team. We are also grateful for your insight on breakfast hours and the room service menu, which we will look at improving. We hope to see you back at Paradise Point again soon for your third visit.

`����ˆ
Reviewed 28 May 2014

spent Memorial Day weekend 2014 - grounds are pretty - rooms are just ok - room rate plus resort fee plus parking adds to more than the property is worth - beach area nothing special - restaurants just ok

Room Tip: get a map of the property and make sure your room is away from the common buildings
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Airdrie, Canada
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks in November 2013..was very excited based on pictures and positive reviews chose to ignore bad ones, however the first day we arrived changed everything. If u like to pay for a five star resort plus a daily resort fee on top of that to stay at an over hyped dump then stay here. The bay view lanai room we had was filthy, moldy, full of spiders, and had permanent marker scribbles on mirror in room that they just never bothered to remove.if u enjoy getting sick on vacation by staying in moldy rooms complete with bird poop covered beach, ponds, and walkways, stay here. Resort fee covers swimming in the pool and wifi? At other much nicer resorts and hotels I have stayed at swimming in the pool is included in room cost. Food is adequate at resort.rent a car for a day instead of a bike for the day from resort because it's cheaper! Oh and when you email the resort directly to complain and the manager sends his standard crap reply that he is sorry your visit wasn't,t great and they strive to be the best and he will be in touch...guess what, he won't. They don't care because enough other suckers checking in daily to legally rip off! Travel tip....do not waste your money here! way better deals and better places in area with management that actually listens to customers and care.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Mouseeye

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Hull, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Came here for a national conference and was severely let down. Upon checking into my room I noticed a strong mildew smell. The next morning, I notified the front desk about the issue. They said they'd send someone to my room. The next day I needed to go back to the front desk as it still smelled bad, but to add insult to injury, housekeeping did not clean the room. They again said they'd send someone in to address the mildew smell and straighten. They did straighten the room, but I never got rid of the smell. It was so bad, that when I returned home I had to wash my clothes twice to get rid of the smell. I'm not sure if I'd needed to complain a third time or a fourth, but it was very disappointing that when I addressed a problem, they could not remedy it nor offer another solutions. For the price you pay to go to this resort, you'd expect A LOT more. All I can say is that I was very dissapointed and would be hard pressed to return.

Room Tip: They only have a select few water front rooms, the website does a great job setting high expectation...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Edelan
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
EDelan, thank you for the feedback from your recent business trip. We appreciate your comments regarding the scent of your guestroom and sincerely apologize for the frustration caused. Some rooms can be affected by their proximity to water, but our housekeeping team is looking into how they can eliminate this issue. We are very sorry we were not able to resolve the problem during your stay but trust that the remainder of your visit was satisfactory, and that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Chico, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at PP in the middle of a busy business trip. It was the right thing to do. The staff and facilities were top drawer. The Tidal Restaurant was excellent and the service was over the top. Definitely will be back.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ojsutherland
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Ojsutherland, thanks for the five-star review of Paradise Point! It sounds like you enjoyed your time at our island resort during a recent business trip. We’re delighted you had a chance to visit Tidal, our new waterfront restaurant serving craft cocktails and fresh seafood cuisine. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you make the trip out from Northern California.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The idea behind having a resort tucked away from the buzz of the city is great. Too bad the rooms and service dont really deserve the 4 star it advertises.
The rooms are half way upgraded, bathrooms have not been renovated just the flooring and some pieces around the bedroom. The tub is really small and not to mention in a need of an upgrade. The bed is ok but definetly need to get some new more comfortable mattresses. The service at the restaurants was ok. I asked for an expresso and it was not available because their machine was broken. It stayed that way throughout my stay. A friend of mine got cheese on his pants because the plate the server brought had cheese under it. The server saw this happen and offered no apology at all. We did get an apology but was from the waiter. This place does not come cheap and for the price and fees charged i believe it needs to step up its game and specially service. Can not say i will consider it again. The Location is very nice and that is probably the only place where i would give it 4 stars.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business