“DONT STAY HERE! Front desk staff was horrible!”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #140 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“DONT STAY HERE! Front desk staff was horrible!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My family of five rented two adjoining rooms. We had a pretty good stay, rooms were big and clean, and we were close to the main pool (which was amazing). We enjoyed the Cantina @ the pool for lunch. We really liked Barefoot's restaurant. It was great. We spent quite a bit of money at the resort also, keep that in mind when I disucss how we were treated @ checkout. We were not a huge fan of Tidal, overpriced food that really wasn't good BUT the service at Tidal was GREAT. Our waitress was amazing. Fast forward to check out and the reason we will never return. I had booked this resort with my travel agent. My travel agent was advised by the resort that they required prepayment in full. I was under the impression that we had paid in full. At check out I was charged for both of my rooms (for what I thought was a second time). I asked girl checking me out (the morning of 6/14/14 @ around 7am) to go over the charges with me b/c I had already paid. She would not look at me and kept reading her computer screen. It was all very odd. She then said my credit card was declined (which it was not) and then she said "you are checked out." I explained to her that I wanted to discuss the charges and she said again "you are checked out." It was like talking to a brick wall. I said to her that I had already paid for these rooms and wanted her to go over the charges with me. She asked if I had anything showing that I had paid in full. I responded that I did and it was in my car. I retrieved the paperwork and came back to the front desk. I waited and waited and waited. She never came back to the desk. I asked a second front desk staff member if she could please go get the girl I was working with b/c I needed to leave asap and get on my flight. She went behind a wall but not before she looked at me like I was out of my mind for needing to leave (at this time I had spent over 10 minutes trying to check out). Neither of them came out from behind their wall and I could hear them discussing that they thought I was mad b/c my credit card was declined (which again it was not and I'm not sure where that was coming from). I waited and asked that they come out and please help me and was then advised (as they remained behind the wall) that security was being called. These girls have obviously not been trained. They were the most unprofessional staff members I have EVER worked with and I would NEVER return to this resort. I do not recommend it to anyone. Security came and told me I had "scarred" the girls. There was definetly a misunderstanding but those girls were lazy and rude and did not want to discuss my charges with me. Period. It was as if I was in the twilight zone. I was so offended and appauled. My travel agent advised me that due to an error on the resorts end they had not previously charged my credit card the full amount. It could have been easily resolved if the front desk staff would have discussed this with me instead of hiding b/c they were "scarred" of me. I travel all the time and have NEVER experienced anything like this every before. I am a mother, I am not violent at all, and I will question charges if I think they are wrong. I assume this was their first day and/or first job. I do hope for their sake this is a learning experience. I have learned that due to the front desk staff at Paradise Point, I will never return.

Room Tip: Dont' stay here!
12 Thank TravelingB2001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Polish first
Alta Loma, California
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Over the past ten years, My family has seen rates here go up, up, up. We thought we would never stay again until we got a great deal on Living Social that brought is here this past week. I feel it is just too expensive at $700 per night, and I love staying right on the bay. With our upgrade from a regular room from LS we were at about half that price. I feel that was appropriate for the room. I would have given 5 stars,but I felt the little touches that were here when Noble House owned the property were lacking. The shampoos and accessories are not up to par. I couldn't get lather from the shampoo. I missed the cotton swabs and Q Tips that used to be in the bathroom. The updates inside the rooms are nice though. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The bartender at Tropics is a sweetie. Loved the floors. With another sweet deal, we will be back. The beach is amazing. My kids love playing in be bay.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Twinboysmommy
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thank you for the candid review on your latest stay at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, and for your repeated business for the past ten years. We’re pleased you were able to take advantage of our Living Social promotion, though we regret hearing your disappointment in the bathroom amenities, as they have remained the same. Each guestroom still has luxurious bath products by Gilchrist and Soames, as well as an extensive vanity kit with grooming tools. It sounds as though housekeeping may have failed to replenish these, for which we apologize. We hope you will continue to vacation at Paradise Point, and encourage you to look into the specials and packages on our website to get a great deal on your next stay.

Best,
David Hall
los angeles, ca
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here for a company retreat in June, 2014. Although it's not an ultra-luxurious resort, we still enjoyed the resort amenities. First let me say, we love the fact that you don't go through elevators or walk through long hallways. You park immediately outside your bungalow in designated stalls. You get your own patio and backyard. It's so easy to get around the island. You can rent a bike or a segway and you are adjacent to the bay as well as a park with a bike path. They also have many fire pits so you can do smores and bon fires at night. During the summer months, be sure to check with Sea World on their fireworks schedule so you can view the fireworks from the resort grounds. I recommend this for families!

Room Tip: Go on the website and download a map, rooms that faces either gardens or the bay are the best. Don...
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I loved my bungalow suite. It was amazingly quiet and unforgettable. I would come back again and again. The staff very professional especially Mr Andrew Cooper. He made my trip one of a kind. I ll refer all my friends n family. Love paradise point.

2 Thank Nena A
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Beautiful setting, and lush grounds very well maintained, a true island paradise complete with multiple swimming pools, lagoons and wildlife, a real gem. Excellent food and reasonably priced in both restaurants nestled by the water and well run marina with lots of cool stuff for rent. The bungalows are very clean but a bit dated and in need of minor renovation. Our room for 3 adults included a tired old pull-out sofa that was like sleeping on a sack of "Slinkys" and the coffee table was pointed out as missing upon opening the door which we later called 3 times for with no results, and the broken shelves in the credenza that caused a big spill, and the in-operative coffee maker all would have been tolerable if the coffe table was not just promissed and then ignored. Aside from people ignoring the parking rules and the resort not acting on cars without a $30 per night parking tag parked in our well defined spot and having to park in general parking about 300 yards from our bungalow we had a very enjoyable weekend.Makes one wonder why they bother with the hang-tags for your mirror - aside from the thirty bucks that is.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We checked in at 6pm we loved the lay out as we drove in. The lobby is very nice its updated and nice as we got the map to our room the staff was very nice. We headed to our room very easy to know your way. We checked out our room it was very nice but the bathroom needed s little updating other than that we had an issue with our bathroom door not working they sent someone out right away to fix it. Very friendly again. The garden view was a hedge but if you have kids very nice. The next morning I went to the lobby the bed was very lumpy. Andrew was very helpful and was accommodating. Had fun exploring the place recommend the main pool with service and Restaurant Tidal 5☆. Hotel is Close to everything and we loved that .. even gave me a temp key for the pool after I checked out.. Amazing got greeted by everyone we walked by.................but......... they have a resort fee and parking fee....... blah

2 Thank Avas1008
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a friend recommended Paradise Point, the first thing I did was google the reviews. Not going to lie, I was a little afraid to come due to some of the negative comments people left. However, I am so happy I did not listen, because I write this from my beautiful and very CLEAN room! This place is amazing and everyone has been so nice since we arrived. We are in paradise and this is the best desicion my husband and I made for our anniversary. We rented seadoos and went paddle boarding and layed out by the beautiful pool. There are 5 by the way so you choose lol. Yes, it is expensive, but it is very much worth it. We are coming back next year and I have already recommended this place to my best friends so they can come with their husbands!!

2 Thank Malizama23
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Malizama23, thank you for the review, and happy anniversary! It’s wonderful to hear that your expectations were exceeded during your stay at Paradise Point Resort & Spa. We appreciate you recommending our San Diego resort to others, and look forward to providing you with another exceptional vacation next year.

Best,