“Extremely overpriced”

Paradise Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #144 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I did not listen to the reviews before me and wish I had. We paid a total of $419 average daily rate with parking and taxes and resort fees -for a room that is worth about $150 anywhere else. At that rate, we could have (almost) stayed at the Ritz. The room smells musty and is old. I'm assuming the price is so high due to the easy access to the beach, etc. Overall we had a good time but won't go back. We've stayed in Coronado for about a $1000 less for better accommodations and better beaches. The staff is friendly and helpful. And just note that the beach is private ...which is nice...but it is on a cove on the bay side. No open ocean or waves. Seaweed and views of the highway.

Room Tip: Get the cheapest room because the expensive rooms are not worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cyndi H
Write a ReviewReviews (5,903)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

What terrible service and what a disappointment. I do not recommend this place.

First impression: The grounds are beautiful. Location is gorgeous.

Then it all went downhill. Here's the highlights:

NEED BETTER SIGNAGE:
We had driven for 10 hours and arrived at 4:30. The grounds are not marked clearly so we had a difficult time determining where the check in desk was. When we finally found it, there were so many cars lined around the small circular drive that it appeared there was a line of cars waiting for valet. We waited in this "line". No one greeted us, no one came outside. Tired of waiting, we finally we just double parked the car so we could figure out how to get checked in. Apparently there is a parking lot hiding around the corner! A sign indicating this would have been helpful.

CHECK IN:
Our room was supposed to be ready no later than 4pm. Upon check-in, we were told it was not ready. Seriously? After a 10 hour car ride, I want to get into my room. We were not early, there is no excuse for that other than poor planning on their part.

STINKY ROOMS:
Get checked in, and discover there is an odd odor coming from the bathrooms when you run the water either in the sink or take a shower. Smells like sulfur. I had a group of friends staying, there, and in a total of 4 rooms (spread at all corners of this "resort") they ALL smelled like this. We were tempted to request a different room, but after learning that they all smelled, there was no point.

TERRIBLE DINING SERVICE:
I was there for a wedding (which was gorgeous!). That night, we had the rehearsal dinner and the service was AWFUL. It took the server nearly an hour just to greet us and take our drink order. Then it was another hour before the server came back to take our dinner order. If I hadn't been there for my friend's wedding, I would have left.

TERRIBLE SERVICE:
The next day I needed a golf cart to cab me over to the bridal suite to get ready.
I called at 9am requesting that a cart pick me up at 12pm. The front desk clerk informed me that they don't take reservations, simply because "it's not necessary. All you have to do is call 5 minutes prior to when you want to be picked up, and we have SO many carts here that someone will be at your room within 5 minutes." Okay. I get ready, and call for a cart once I'm ready to go.
I wait for 30 MINUTES without anyone showing up. I have to call the front desk again to see if anyone is coming for me. I am now late to the bridal suite. The gal says she will check with the drivers and let me know. She calls back to say someone is on their way. I wait another 15 MINUTES before anyone shows up. Unbelievably, no one - not the front desk clerk when I expressed my frustration -- nor the late driver -- NO ONE apologized for the inconvenience.
Now I look like the jerk who shows up late to the bridal suite even though I did everything I could, and should have arrived on time.
In sum, don't tell your guests that you will provide a service that you can't. That's what made this worse.

RUDE AND INHOSPITABLE:
To make matters worse, I came down with a terrible cold and was stuck in bed the next couple days of my stay there. This place has multiple restaurants on site. I called the front desk to see if I could possibly order some soup to be delivered to my room because I was sick and stuck in bed.
The first gal was kind, and empathized, and said that absolutely, there was one restaurant that had soup and could deliver, or if they didn't, she would see to it that they had someone bring a microwave to my room because their gift shop sold cans of soup and I could heat some up in there. Now i was feeling impressed by this.
She connected me to the gift shop, but after speaking with them, he told me they had no soup. he said the restaurant would deliver some. Okay.
Now I'm connected to the restaurant. The gal at the restaurant listens to my request and story, and says, "Who told you we deliver soup?" She sounded angry. "We don't deliver soup. We only deliver pizza and salami sandwiches". Okay, that's nice, but guess what, I'm a guest and she should not have been speaking to me that way. She can go yell at whomever employee she wants, but all I'm trying to do is get some soup because I'm sick. Her solution was for me to walk myself down to there restaurant. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. (my room was FAR from the restaurant.) Did she not just hear me tell her that I was so sick I can't get out of bed? She just listened to all the steps I've been through, and all the people I've spoken to, and she can't make an EXCEPTION.

Talk about hospitality. I could not wait to get out of there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Leecee73
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Leecee73, we appreciate the detailed review from your June stay. We’re very sorry to hear that your visit did not get off to a positive start and that you continued to encounter many issues throughout your time here. We sincerely apologize for these inconveniences and regret that the atypical hiccups in customer service led you to have a wrongful impression of the hotel. As confirmed by many of the other reviews here on TripAdvisor, our service is usually very prompt and friendly. Our hope is that you were still able to enjoy the wedding festivities at the resort and that you will reconsider staying with us again in the future so we can show you the award-winning service we are known for.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

As usual, I had to do a close inspection of our room before giving it the okay. Sheets were clean, no stray hairs or dead bugs. Floors had clearly been freshly washed as I could see mop marks; whether that mop was clean or not is unknown. Bathroom trashcan had a used q-tip in it. Overall, I felt comfortable. The bathroom area has new countertops, but the shower area has some old, cracked tile and the shower itself could be updated. You have a relatively private back porch area. Beware of the numerous smokers who have no other choice but to smoke right outside their doors (and, thus, smoke right outside your door).

The entire property is easy to navigate by foot or bike. But, on foot, you are bound to see the dust and spiderwebs on signs. No big deal. The grounds staff was busy cleaning and replacing lights. You will find staff friendly
Restaurants are obviously overpriced, but convenient and good. Stay away from the central pool. It's very "cloudy."

Location is right in the heart of Mission Bay, so be prepared for A LOT of traffic, all the time. It's best to stay put; you will keep busy on site.

Fun vacation for everyone. Pricey, but you will get your money's worth if you do more than lay by the pool.

2  Thank LRK89
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Even this resort was great. The hidden charges ended up being near full price for the stay. A discount should include all charges. Being upfront with this will determine whether to stay or not. Extra cost for a dicounted stay unpleasant....

1  Thank Herb E
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Herb, thanks for the TripAdvisor review. It sound like you enjoyed Paradise Point, but were unfortunately not aware of some of the costs beyond that of the room. We make every effort to be upfront about both our Passport to Paradise and parking charges prior to arrival; they are posted on multiple pages of our website and booking engine, and it is hotel policy for our reservation staff to mention them while handling bookings over the phone. We hope to see you here for another stay, for which we encourage you to look at our specials and packages. Many of them include waived or discounted versions of these costs.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here as a kid way back when it was the Princess resort and I remember loving it. 20 some years later I actually live in SD but my family stayed here for a weekend in May for my law school graduation. Even though I live twenty minutes from this resort, it felt like I was on my own vacation when I was here! The property is huge and is gorgeous on the bay. We went standup paddle boarding and rented a surrey (the multi-person bikes) which was a lot of fun. I thought the pools were nice, but the jacuzzis seem to work off and on, not sure what's up with that.

The rooms my family had were clean, for what it's worth (I see that some of the comments did not have that experience). You can definitely tell the buildings themselves are old, but the inside was updated and nice. My family really enjoyed their stay.

We also had a private dinner party at the restaurant Tidal and it was great - the staff was phenomenal and food was delicious. They really made the special occasion extra great.

As far as the actual location, for those of you that don't live in San Diego like myself haha, the best course of action would be to rent a car. This location is great but you need a car to get almost anywhere if you want to sight see. It's close enough to Sea World to take a cab that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but if you want to go most places around the rest of the city a car is necessary.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Erin C
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Astonishing location next to sea world on an island in a bay but room equipment has seen best days a while ago.
Friendly staff except some of the receptionists.
We booked a room for 250$ a night for 3 nights. First try of the receptionist ( who was at the same time the ' yoga instructor ' ) was to upgrade us from second beach lane to first, "because we checked in early". Same room size.
Only after we asked for the price he came up with " you can have that for only additional 250$ a night." Who wants an upgrade for double the price. I call this rip off.
Parking place in front of the Bungalow for 32$ a Night.. another rip off. As family with 4 persons the terrace has only 2 chairs. I asked friendly to have 2 additional but they were not willing to help and said that 2 could sit on a free towel. Unacceptable but the right way if a hotel wants to avoid getting the same customers twice.. I could now need some yoga meditation myself but better somewhere else.

1  Thank Daniel S
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The sand is literally feet away from your back door. I parked on a Friday, and didn't move my car until we left on Sunday. Restaurants on the premises, a small shop for anything you forgot...no need to leave! Super kid friendly, mine brought their scooters and scooted around the whole island. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: April 2014

Tparker77, thank you for the five-star review on TripAdvisor! We’re delighted to hear about your time at Paradise Point Resort & Spa in April and pleased that you enjoyed our waterfront accommodations, six dining options, five pools, Island Market, and family-friendly activities. We look forward to being your relaxing escape for many years to come.